1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Simms Story From Des Moines Register

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Oct 25, 2002.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/stories/c6902851/19562027.html

Texas QB Simms fends off critics
    By RANDY PETERSON
    Register Staff Writer
    10/25/2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Texas quarterback Chris Simms is used to feeling the heat, so whatever pressure he gets from Iowa State's defense Saturday isn't likely to change his outlook much.

If Longhorn fans aren't verbally skewering their No. 1 quarterback for performing poorly in big games, he's getting such a rush from opposing defenses that passes sometimes result in interceptions.

That's the reason rabid fans of seventh-ranked Texas have made him their latest radio talk show scapegoat. They did it to former quarterback Major Applewhite, then when coach Mack Brown switched, they did it to the new guy - Simms.

Longhorns football is about winning big games - at least beating ranked teams consistently. Simms has struggled to do that, and that's what could make Saturday's 2:30 p.m. game against No. 17 Iowa State interesting.

"Chris is like a lightning rod," said Brown, a former Iowa State football assistant coach. "He's been held to a different standard than the other athletes, whether that's fair or not."

Simms has a 3-5 record in starts against ranked teams, including 1-1 this season after a win last Saturday against No. 20 Kansas State and a loss against No. 2 Oklahoma on Oct. 12.

He has thrown 16 interceptions against only nine touchdowns in games against top 25 teams.

Texas fans expected immediate greatness when Simms came to the Austin campus in the fall of 1999. After all, their new quarterback was the son of former New York Giants passer Phil Simms.

Instead, they got a guy who lost his first career start against 24th-ranked Texas A&M - and hasn't gotten back in fans' good graces since.

"I can't change who I am," Simms said. "Texas fans will have high expectations for their quarterback, no matter who his father is. If people don't think I've played well in big games, that's fine. I've learned to take everything, not just the criticism, in stride.

"I don't get too high and I don't get too low."

Simms completed 25 of 50 passes for 340 yards against Oklahoma and Kansas State. He also threw four interceptions against only two touchdowns.

"He's a good quarterback who's throwing to one of the best groups of receivers in college football," Iowa State coach Dan McCarney said. "Their receivers aren't just little guys who happen to run fast, they're athletic.

"About the time you double-team Roy Williams, here comes B.J. Johnson. They're loaded."

Simms, a lefty, has completed 117 of 214 passes for 1,501 yards and 12 touchdowns while helping the Longhorns to records of 6-1 overall and 2-1 in the Big 12 Conference South Division. He is among the top five in school history in attempts, completions and yards.

He has a 21-5 record as a starter, including 18-0 against unranked opponents. It's what happens in the other games that fans criticize.

"For people to say he's not won a big game - that's not true," receiver Sloan Thomas said. "He won 10 games for us last year, and if people don't think that any of those 10 games weren't big games . . . it's just not fair. People put more pressure on him than he deserves."

It's the games he didn't win last season that people remember the most - the 14-3 loss against Oklahoma in a key South Division game, and the 39-37 setback against Colorado in the conference championship game.

Against Colorado, Simms was benched after committing four turnovers in the first half.

"People look at the Oklahoma and Colorado games last season and say I didn't play well," Simms said. "That's fine. Everyone has their opinion and I'm not going to argue with them. It's tough sometimes being the quarterback at a school like Texas."

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

When you throw 0 TD's and commit 15 TO's against the Top 10, you're going to be labeled a choker. He's not being held to a different standard. Any QB with those stats is a choker.

Go win a conference title first. Oh wait you should be held to a different standard too Mr. February. 18 years. Pathetic. Even Osborne and Bowden won conference titles.

Damn straight. He understands it's not personal. People don't think. It's fact. He's not clutch.

:rolleyes:

I don't think this quote deserves comment.

3. mduke

mduke Member

he beat OSU, one of the few things Nate Hybl hasn't done.....;)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Simms is the most overated QB in the country, and Mack Brown is simply too darned stubborn to admit he threw away a shot at the national championship last year by playing him over Applewhite.

Simms is simply not that good, especially if he has to move in the pocket...he has the balance of a peg legged pirate who gets stuck in a knothole.

DaDakota

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

With fans like this, who needs Aggies?

6. Smokey

Reality hurts, doesn't it?

If you want fantasy land, I suggest Hornfans.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Pued,

Who said fans have to be blind?

DD

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Who said you were blind?

I was thinking more along the lines of ignorant.

9. Elvis Costello

Aaaaargggh, shiver me timbers!

10. mduke

mduke Member

Chris Simms does not look bad today.......he's had a bunch of drops by WR's.....

11. Smokey

Thank you Cedric Benson.

I just got back from the game. CB had 199 yards rushing and picked up key first downs on a 9 minute drive which effectively killed Iowa St.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I was there as well. We got a couple of breaks,imo. Still would have won of course.

Those coverage sacks killed me. Simms has no pocket savvy at all. If noone is open, run the damn ball. Dustin Long is playing better than him right now.

I'm sure Chris is a smart guy, but I don't think he processes things quickly.

13. Smokey

Did you see those guys in the endzone flip the Iowa State flag backwards? That was funny :D

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

GR-81,

He did try to scramble today, but took coverage sacks. That is being a pretty savvy qb in my opinion.

DaDakota,

Try something for me. Watch a game. Chris Simms if anything is underrated. His pick today was a drop by Roy Williams. He made good smart decisions.

Oh, and Major would not have done any better this year or last year for that matter.

Did you forget he started in 63-14?

And watch our predictable playcalling. Did you know major changed all of Davis's calls at the line. I didn't know Simms had to play OC as well.

Who wants a sig bet after this season that Simms will be a quality NFL QB and have a long career in the league. Because bring it.

This is pathetic.

Simms has a record of 22-5 at UT, and you guys treat him like he is the worst qb in D1.

Face facts: major wasn't god, and major is gone. Simms has done an admirable job replacing a Texas legend, which is no easy task.

One final sig bet offer: If simms went to Fla, Miami, FSU, etc instead of UT I bet he is thought of a top quarterback in the country, and not a colossal bust. He has been hampered by too high of expectations and a horrible offensive coordinator.

If you want to find every flaw about our star qb, and forget how good he is, why don't you just call yourself a bandwagoner, and find a different school to support. Because their are 80,000 plus UT fans who can make due without you.

15. gr8-1

DV, I agree that Greg is part of the problem. But Simms to me, is just an average college QB. Those coverage sacks were painful because if he would have made his decision sooner, he would have gotten some yards. Everyone else seemed to see it. It looked like he missed Roy on one of those sacks as well.

Also, with regards to Roy's "drop," it was not an easy catch. Makable, yes. Simms throws too hard, imo.

Hey, it kills me to say it. I thought Simms should have started over Major. But, right now, he just doesn't have "it." He doesn't have intangibles. What he's blessed with is alot of size and a strong arm. I think his mobility is average.

And, if I were a bandwagon fan, I'd be an O or Miami fan right now.

#15 gr8-1, Oct 26, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2002
  16. gr8-1

I loved the ISU player's reaction when he thought they stopped us and then the ref gives us the spot, lol.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why don't you tell us why they're ignorant?

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The bandwagon fan wasn't directed at you GR8-1, I know you aren't along with most in the thread, but a guy like Dakota.

And simms is not nearly as cerebral as major. I agree, but I think he takes a lot of undeserved heat on this campus.

19. mduke

mduke Member

Simms throws too hard, imo.

Brett Favre's receivers don't seem to have much of a problem catching it......:D

Is it just me, or is Roy Williams more overrated than Simms?

20. gr8-1

No. I don't think Roy is overrated. When he catches the ball, he's not put in a position to succeed.

Watch old UT tapes with Major or the HOliday bowl. Receivers seem to always rack up YACs.

Simms may not throw too hard, but he doesn't throw a catchable ball alot of the times,imo.