1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Simms a Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coma, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't forget Billy Don Malone.

Billy Don...

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Allegedly, this guy is better as a senior than Mock was. I don't know........

If I were Simms, I would leave now. He would clearly be the #1 qb taken this year. Next yea, Eli Manning may give him some stiff competition.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Rick Mirer was the quarterback of a great Notre Dame team. That's half the battle right there.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BTW, for the first time I heard Charlie Casterly talk about what he sees as being required to make good football team.

His answer was, "you need a good defense to ke.ep teams from scoring on you, and to win big games you need a good quarterback".

I, therefore, would expect QB to be pretty high on his list for draft priorities.

Also, note that Dom Capers' first ever pick with Carolina was a QB (Kerry Collins). Even though that one didn't go so well, I'd imagine it says something about his prefrences maybe?

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Seth Buford? that guy isnt all that great , I mean He's not bad but he isnt NFL material , Now we in Central Cal have this guy Ben Olson of Thousand Oaks high school who is the #1 QB prospect in the Country and last year Ventura High School had Tyler Ebell who rushed for almost 5000 yards in 13 games he is a freshman with UCLA who they might look to if DeShaun Foster continues to ride in SUV's .

Chris Simms dad is Phil Simms , Brian Griese's dad was Bob Griese , Peyton Manning's dad was Archie Manning , Are you guys beginning to see a trend here? I wonder if The Texans draft him would CBS let Phil Simms do a Texans game?

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

CBS didn't have a problem with Bill Walton calling Arizona games.

7. Smokey

Don't forget Bob Griese was an analyst for the Rose Bowl with his son Brian playing in the game for Michigan.

Also Gary Danielson's son is a backup QB at Northwestern, and Danielson is assigned to NW games.

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I could see how there would be a distinction, though, between college [all of the examples put forth so far] and the pros.

in college, the athletes are still at least somewhat regarded as being "kids", and the whole parental pride thing plays better.

on second thought, cbs will do whatever cbs thinks will get them the highest ratings. if I was them, I'd put phil simms on every chris simms' game that I could.

however. . . I can see phil very, very, very much wanting to avoid this situation. I could also see cbs respecting phil's wishes.

I definitely think, though, that there is a big difference between dad calling a college game and dad calling a pro game.

9. Timing

Timing Member

Does Chris Simms know that the Texans won't be playing Kansas and the U of H? I hope he stays at Texas.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

simms is (inexplicably) cbs' top analyst, and thus, covers the week's best afc games. houston won't be involved in those for years, so it's not an immeadiate concern.

11. gr8-1

Ric, what's your take on Simms? I know Casserly and Capers practically live in Austin and are at the UT practice often.

12. Smokey

If the Texans draft Simms, I'm sure CBS would try to boost their ratings by doing a Sunday special on Daddy and Son. I can very well see Houston @ Dallas being assigned to Greg and Daddy.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Isn't the opening night game vs. Dallas a Sunday night game? That's what I thought I had read. If so, then it would go to Dan Patrick, Joe Theismann, and all of ESPN...

14. Smokey

I thought only opponents were named for the 2002 season and not the actual dates, but you might be right. I'd rather have the game be on Monday Night Football.

I just threw out that game because it would be a high interest Texans game.

Also, don't forget Titans vs. Texans in Houston or Nashville.

15. Hey Now!

i've only seen him play sporadically, to be honest.

i'll say this for simms: he's handled the adversity well. you look at someone like ryan leaf, who throws a tantrum if you even look at him the wrong way, and then look at how simms has dealt with the applewhite shadow, the obvious backlash, the less-than-spectacular start... and never once did he lose his cool, lash out, or act like a jerk, even though he's what? 20? 21? that says alot about the kind of kid phil raised.

and when you think about the expectations that'll be placed on him if he is, in fact, houston's first-ever pick.... well, i like what i've seen from him in that regard. i think he's going to be a great on-the-field leader.

if he does come out this year, he'll be the number one pick, no question. vick was not only a top pick, teams actually manuevered to draft him, and simms is better right now than vick was at this time last year, and simms has a higher NFL upside. if he's not #1, it'll be because houston has traded the pick to someone who already has a QB.

if i'm houston, do i draft him #1? yes, unless someone offered to swap spots in the top 10 along with 2 #2's, or a 2 and a 3. the texans need quanity as much as quality, so adding two high picks and staying in the top 10 of a very deep draft would be a better way to go than using one pick on simms. especially with someone like eli manning waiting in the 2003 wings.

16. gr8-1

I am very impressed with Manning. I like Grossman also, but I wonder if he's a product of the system. MArk Farris could put up numbers in that system. Ok, maybe not, but you know what I mean.

17. Hey Now!

yeah, i think eli's going to be a great one, better than his brother, in fact. but i think simms has the potnetial to be very special as well.

here's an interesting fact, re: grossman and florida's system: spurrier's been there since 1989 (or '90, one of the two), and they've won the sec every year, if not mistaken, under him, and have always had a boatload of offensive talent, always putting up huge numbers. yet in spurrier's entire tenure, one -- one -- QB has been drafted: danny awful. i mean, wuerfel.

grossman's a great talent, but i'd definitely be cautious.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

So much for this thread. All this Simms talk appears to be moot now. I guess the Texans will just have to settle for Applewhite...

Coach Brown: 'Chris isn't going anywhere'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas quarterback Chris Simms will play for the Longhorns next season and will not enter the NFL draft a year early, coach Mack Brown said Wednesday.

"I know Chris has no interest in going to the NFL," before his senior season, Brown said. "Chris isn't going anywhere. He's going to be here."

Simms, a junior, created a stir Tuesday night when he said he planned to think about entering the draft early and that he was "definitely going to leave that door open." A few hours later he told reporters he would stay at Texas.

Brown talked to Simms on Wednesday. "He felt like that it was blown completely out of proportion," Brown said.

The coaching staff talks to the underclassmen about signing with agents and entering the draft after the season is over, Brown said.

"We try to let them find out exactly where their position would be in the draft, and then we talk to them, and try to advise them, and talk to their families and try to get them involved," Brown said.

As per usual team policy, offensive players, including Simms, were not made available to reporters after practice Wednesday night. The left-hander's 22 touchdown passes are a Texas single-season record.

The fifth-ranked Longhorns (9-1) finish the regular season Nov. 23 at Texas A&M.

19. Hey Now!

blah, blah, blah... michael vick and countless other underclassmen have made the exact same declarations. but once the money starts flying, once you start thinking about being a #1 overall pick... a lot of what your coach says in november is long forgotten.

i think he'd do well to stay another year, but it wouldn't shock me if he declared.

20. gr8-1

IF I were in his shoes, i would definitely leave. You can ALWAYS come back for your degree, but you're one play from never making the nfl at all.

The tune that Simms is singing right now is what almost every underclassman sings. He loves school, but stay tuned.

BTW, loved Phil's reaction: "What did Christopher say??"