1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Paul of they can keep asik. Paul / harden / asik > Lin / harden / howard

2. mesta

mesta Member

Is Chris Paul stupid enough to ruin his career in Houston? Dwight Howard

3. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I'm not saying that we wont improve if we dont get Paul because we will but just not as much as we would improve if we get a legitimate post presence or a steady pick and roll big. Even assuming we get Paul, we're still unsure of how effective he will be because he's always been a pick and roll/pop kind of guy. He had a partner in Tyson, David, and Blake..if we get him, will Omer fill that role with his stone hands?

Houston relies heavily on pick-and-roll offense so its only natural that they get a big that is comfortable with that system. Dwight fits that bill. I really like Omer and I wish we had more options or could get a good solid 4 to run our offense but its not looking that way at the current state of free agency. I wish there were better FAs this year because Smith, Al Jeff, and Millsap - our probable main targets after Dwight and CP3 - while very good, are very flawed (be it in the aspect of shot selection, defense, and/or both). I don't think those guys will be able to take us to the OKC/MIA level like a healthy Dwight will.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not Possible. LAL is over the cap even with out D12's contract on the books so there is no possible we to sign Paul. Since LAL will be a tax threshold repeat violater, they can not even do a sign and trade for CP3 since Paul is not currently under contract.

5. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

CP3 and it is not even close. In particular because he is less likely to get injured and we already have one of the best centers in the NBA. It is just a better, less risky upgrade.

The reason he does not appear in conversations is because it has always seemed he would stay with the Clippers.

How do we get both?

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

waive everyone but parsons and beverly, trade asik (easy), lin (not so easy), robinson (easy enough), some of the other rookie pfs (probably easy enough except royce).

Paul said today "I don't want to win, I have to win, and if I don't, it's a problem", it was probably the first time I felt like he was willing to leave the Clippers, because I really can't see them going anywhere since they're capped out and not really in the contest with the elites.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

I voted CP3. I am not sure how well he and Harden would mesh, but I know signing Howard would be a HUGE mistake.

9. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I say go after CP3 keep Ask since he's solid as and don't demand the ball.. He a better free throw shooter than Howard.. All we need is someone who can catch lobs and that's Josh Smith and he gave gives us that defensive presence as in shot blocking that Asik lacks. But knowing Morey Howard & CP3 will both get a call from Morey.. Then Josh Smith Pairing will come. After Morey offers them the chance to both play with Harden and either one resigns then offer them to play with Harden and Josh Smith.

10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Problem is Harden likes to handle the ball and score...

1 man iso

Harden needs PG who gives his ISO all the time

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I guess if Paul wants to come here, you take him over Howard. Asik is perfectly fine at center with the contract we have him signed to. And it's not like he's hit his ceiling yet. He develops a mid-range jumper, and he'll be outstanding next season.

But I've never believed for a second that Paul wanted out of LA. It's a lot different from Dwight's situation with the Lakers where he's surrounded by a bunch of decrepit old players, a banged-up superstar, and a crappy bench. Plus a coach he obviously isn't fond of that will likely be back next season. Paul has a young, talented supporting cast and is all but guaranteed to be playing for a new, better coach this fall.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Dwight is a better fit with James Harden

13. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

You can also say Join Us or get Beat by Us.. just as that simple. all Houston has to do is sign Iggy and Josh Smith or a combination or make a trade and we are better than the Clippers and the Lakers.. Say CP3 are you fustrated? We just sign Howard.. and we Like ya..So either you can do this the easy way or the hard way.. Sign. B.W. :grin:

14. naesoon

naesoon Member

Chris Paul is good, but do you really think he would work well with Harden? Both of them needs the ball in their hands. It's going to be a power struggle. Howard is also a baby. Unless he grows up, I think he would be the better choice.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The thing with successful ball dominant shooting guards, you almost hardly saw them play alongside an ball dominant elite point guard and win titles.

Michael Jordan & Paxson/Armstrong/Harper/Kerr
    Kobe Bryant & Fisher/Farmar/Shaw
    Dwayne Wade & Payton/J-Will (GP was an elite PG but was way past his prime at the age of 37 or 38 when he won a ring with the Heat in '06)

As much as i love to have CP3, i'd rather have Dwight if i had to pick one since we're pairing them up with a shooting guard in James Harden.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Lebron James isn't a point guard, but if you don't think he's ball dominant in Miami and yet working incredibly well with Dwyane Wade, I'm not sure what to tell you.

17. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IE2PmaA0zHY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tell me how can you not want this guy?

You get a solid leader, a guy who can make shots and control the game in the 4th quarter. Additionally, he can shoot the 3 pointer, is a player that is just spectacular at the pick and roll - aren't these all foundational parts of the rockets offense? He can find wide open shooters, and most importantly, he can let James Harden become more efficient, because James Harden as a primary ball handler is not as good as James Harden off-the screen, executing a pick and roll. How does Jeremy Lin fit in? The same role Billups did with LAC. Jeremy can also be the backup point guard/6th man with our second unit, maybe teaming up with our pf prospects reminiscent of the Lowry & Landry Duo we had a few years ago.

CP3 will make this team a lot better. For those saying that he is ball dominant, have you watched him play? He lets Griffin and Jordan and Crawford do their isolations (a bit too much if you ask me) and he shares the ball a lot, knowing when is the right time to give which player the ball. CP3 will improve our team so much that you will forget who Dwight Howard is.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

LeBron James will be successful with any team especially if you pair him up with 2 other stars and a bunch of good shooters. Are you kidding me? That's LeBron James, he's capable of playing all 5 positions.

We're talking about pairing up a ball dominant shooting guard with an equally ball dominant point guard who are both effective off of pick and rolls.

Let me help you out, the closest would be Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker but they have a Hall of Fame big man in Tim Duncan and Manu was excellent off the ball. TP and Manu ran pick & rolls, pick & pops, and could always get points going to the post with Duncan.

What this team needs is an inside presence. Especially on the offensive end. Both our starting guards are one of the best pick and roll players in the league. Having Omer Asik setting picks and rolling to the basket won't even come close to maximizing Harden and Lin's potential. We also have zero post presence. How many times did we go to the post and get points in 6 games against the Thunder?

Let me reiterate, i would love to get Chris Paul, i mean who wouldn't? But the OP is asking who would we rather have, so we have to factor in our current roster. The better fit would be Dwight Howard, no question.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Also hearing there's a legit chance CP3 doesn't sign there now. It's wide-open. They'd have to hire a coach he likes, and even then...</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/330696603188998144">May 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. basketballholic

Beat me to it.

Remember this...Morey thinks Chris Paul is the greatest point guard of all time.