1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You're sort of all over the map here.

Parker and Billups were both score first guards. They didn't gain notoriety until AFTER winning rings. In other words, had they never won, they wouldn't be considered big time players. Totally different from Paul, a ball-dominating distributor who's never won jack and gets paid a ton.

NOBODY could get Yao the ball. It just wasn't possible b/c he couldn't catch anything. Besides, if all you needed was someone to get Yao the ball, Robert Horry was the best at that. Point guards aren't necessarily going to be good at throwing a post entry pass.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know about you I'd choose Lebron or Michael Jordan. You wouldn't go wrong with Magic either. The point is they were all great players irregardless of their positions. I'm pretty sure that Superstar SFs have probably won that Finals MVP award less than PGs have or at around the same number. If we are considering Larry a PF or SF...which is another problem, the basketball is not always so set in it's positions.

Also yes this is a PG/Center debate. Dwight is a Center and Chris Paul is a PG. I thought the whole thing here was that some people were saying that CP3 is better than Dwight and thus should be acquired over Dwight even if he's another guard...while Dwight has been less of a player as of late but would be the better fit because he fills a need.

So I'm thinking this is a PG vs Center debate....

You first said PG, nothing about being score first PG or pass first PG. Either way, Billups was not a score first PG. He was about as all around a PG as a PG could be. Did a little bit of everything include play great defense.

Dwight has never won anything either? So haven't a lot of players. The NBA is not very parity friendly so what ends up happening is one or two players will dominate a generation and keep tons of great players from every winning anything.

Yao's hands were not that bad. Most of the passes were being intercepted because The main problem Yao had was being fronted by athletic players. Any ways that does not change the fact that the Rockets went through many PGs during that time and most people here were clamoring for just a decent one.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Dwight led a less talented team than Paul's Hornets or Clippers to the NBA Finals.

4. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

We're gonna sit here and act like the EC is anywhere close to the WC's level?

6. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

definitely CP3

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

So whose usage rate are you going to sacrifice, Harden's or Paul's? Who's gonna have to be more of the spot-up shooter?

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

The Rockets would also be better off with LeBron.

But the team has a hierarchy of needs, and a salary cap to deal with. Priorities must be set.

The Rockets would be much better off upgrading their bigs. Are you seriously going to argue that Jones/Dmo/Robinson are going to cut it when all of them have been benched for one reason or another for significant lengths this season?

9. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Yes, please.

[youtube]f3Z2wR_IYvA[/youtube]

[youtube]2KBGYZ5jVcw[/youtube]

10. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

Those videos speak volumes.
    I too wish I could vote for both ...
    but since I can't, my pick is Chris Paul.

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Hardens. Have him Stand off the ball A la ginobili. Dwight Harden and Paul can run some sets from the spurs championship years beautifully. Maybe even better than they ever Did because of how much better Paul is as a passer.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockets worst positions right now in order:

4, 1, 5, 3, 2.

You ask me who I'd prefer between Paul and Dwight? I look at the list and PG is worse than center. I'd take Paul and hope I could trade Jeremy Linn for a competent 4. I know it wouldn't be all-star, but a legit NBA rotation player would be enough.

13. basketballholic

My contention all along regarding the Lin/Harden dynamic has been that Harden is not a point guard. Simply too many turnovers. While Lin may be considered a high-turnover point guard, he is much less turnover prone than Harden is and he is also a much better facilitator of ball movement that gets all 5 guys involved and keeps the defense from keying down so tight on Harden.

Here's the problem with Harden running the point plain and simple: When he drives the paint it is with finality. There is either going to be some sort of kaddy wampus shot thrown up by him which has a high tendency of going down OR he's going to throw it out for a jumper OR he's turning it over. Because of the way James drives, because of the eurostep action, he leaves himself vulnerable to a lot of turnovers simply because he gets caught with no place to go or in a place where 3 defenders, 6 arms and hands and 6 legs are converging on him.

Lin doesn't use that eurostep except rarely. Lin can go through the paint and dribble back out again, he can probe multiple times, circle back and come right back down again, all the while scanning the floor for the player movement and any mismatches.

Lin is a point guard, Harden is not. While Harden is highly effective, in some cases less is more. Just a little less forcing the ball to the cup and just a little more playing off the ball would be better for this team and for Harden's efficiency.

And when you think about adding another superstar.....any superstar....no matter what position....you are going to be taking away some touches and control from Harden. Doesn't matter if it is Chris Paul, Dwight, or KLove. Any of those superstar players is going to take a few touches away from Harden.

I am not partial to either Paul or Dwight although I see Dwight as the more immediate need. But I think we all know Morey is going to make a play for both guys, combining them with Harden to form a Western Conference Big 3 to compete against Miami's Big 3. If that doesn't work, Morey would settle for just getting one.

All you guys wanting Dwight over Paul because of Paul running the top instead of Harden need to remember, Dwight is a high-turnover inefficient free throw shooting big man. And all you guys that want Paul over Harden need to remember, if we don't get a big that can catch the durn ball in the paint and in one motion throw it down then Paul could be severely wasted here. So, hopefully if we get Paul then Asik drastically improves in this area (I don't see that happening.) or we somehow acquire another pick and roll finisher to play with Paul and Harden.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Trade Lin and someone else for good defensive PF or PF/C and then go for CP3. Pliese, just don't go with that cry baby Howard who shoots free-throws as my grandma. And i would bet on my grandma winning FT competition. There, I said it.

How you imagine Howard playing in clutch time for Rocks? Every team will foul on him and it would work out. He's not worth that max contract.

15. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

This, and he shoots/passes/handles ball better than any of our pg...and basically better than anyone on our team.

16. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Chris Paul is never healthy whenever the playoffs roll around. He has like a broken thumb or somethin thats why I think he got eliminated this year. Last year it was some foot injury, there is always something with this guy

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The problem with those numbers, 4 and 5 is literally 1 man deep, across both front court positions, 1!

18. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

Rockets have a shot at Dwight and CP3?

I would Love these acquisitions only if we don't have to give up Parsons.

I Love Asik, but he would have to be moved, and he has proven to the league that he is more than just a serviceable big man.

Love the Big O, but if you could get a packaged deal of D12 and CP3 and keep Harden and Parsons, you do whatever it takes to give yourself a shot at landing them.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

20. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

OP, there are countless other threads already talking about the brunt of your post.