1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Howard can single-handedly make a team elite defensively. What can Paul do? Rack up assists by dominating the ball?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I know why you mention the money it's because Tony Parker is a elite PG if not the best PG this past season and has won championships. The Spurs are fortunate to pay him what they do but he's still a max-caliber player.

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

yea but without tim duncan, the spurs dont win 4 championships and theyre not relevant. period.. if you remove parker its not out of the realm of possibility that they still win 1 or 2.. theyre first championship had robinson and then there was ginobili who also had a large hand in their dynasty but it all revolves around duncan..

theres a reason iverson never won, or rose will never win.. and when kyrie gets maxed and cant add a dominant big/wing then he will never win as the main player on that team..

these elite handles score first pgs are fun to watch but they dont win championships..

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Paul wouldn't be the one changing the way he plays, harden would be. Frankly i think that would be good for harden, i'd much rather see paul feed harden the ball on plays then see harden trying to create everything all the time.

As for who i'd rather have... well beggers can't be choosers i'd be estatic with either of them joining are team. Doubtful thats happens though, i'd really like to pick up J.Smith and i think we have a decent chance of picking him up.

6. TheFreak

The money matters. And I wouldn't call Parker a distributor. He's more of a score-first guard.

7. TheFreak

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How many teams win without great guards?

Lebron just won without a center at all. Bosh is a stretch face up big man so he's really just a taller SF that can rebound and I have a feeling that Lebron will be doing this again.

It really does not matter, if you get great players together with some great role players and great coach then you can win. There is no special formula of must have big man.

If you have Paul and Harden then you get role players that can post up and play, defend the paint, play big.

Just like the Rockets won without a elite guard...it's because they built their team around their strength.

Also Paul is far from being a score first PG. He's a assist first guy that makes everyone around him better.

And the Spurs don't win 4 championships without Parker...as of right now Parker is the best player on that team.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It really doesn't matter in this case because he's still the best PG in the NBA if not the 2nd best. He's worth the max obviously.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

so just because he can make you defensively (but not necessarily!!) that automatically makes him a better player than Cp3 who is probably the 3rd best playmaker in the league.

ty i take pride on disproving false claims by googling information

11. pnr

pnr Member

If CP3 comes here I can see Harden's points going down as well as assists. You would ideally want the ball in CP's hands most of the time and that doesn't maximize Harden's strengths. You would be paying two guys max money and not getting max returns.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

How good is Harden playing away from the ball?

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

youre trying to lump pgs in with elite guards like kobe, wade, ginobli, and jordan..

theres always exceptions to the rule, like billups, that team had 5 all-stars for starters and he was their leader, defacto "best player".. rondo is elite but he was the 4th best player on that team.. and thats whats really the point, pgs that are the best player on their team dont win championships..

just look at the last 20 years of championship teams and the guy running point guard..

miami chalmers
    dallas kidd*
    lakers blake
    lakers fisher
    boston rondo
    spurs parker
    heat payton*
    pistons billups
    spurs parker
    lakers fisher
    lakers fisher
    lakers fisher
    spurs parker
    bulls harper
    bulls harper
    bulls harper
    rockets smith
    rockets smith
    bulls paxson
    bulls paxson
    bulls paxson

in the last 20 years only 2 PGs have won finals MVP and 2* other past their prime former elite PGs in Kidd and Payton..

14. pnr

pnr Member

He did that playing 30 minutes a game as the third best player on the team. When he did play he had the ball in his hands and was the de facto PG. Oh and his stats were nowhere near the 26/6/5 they are this season.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

fair enough, but if hypothetically all PGs were available, who would be an ideal fit with Harden?

16. pnr

pnr Member

If you get a star PF, Beverley would be adequate enough IMO. He would fit the Chalmers bill...

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree with this post...

but given the choice, I'll take CP3... while his flopping and general personality I do not like (despite his attempt to reinvent himself with his Allstate commercials)... at least he's not the immature cancer D12 can be.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And on the flip side how many times did that award go to a PG or a Center throughout the history of the NBA?

There have been PGs to have won the award, going way back to West to Magic to now Parker and Billups.

The whole thing that PGs can't win is really non-sense. If you are a great player on a great team with a great coach then of course you can win. That's all it takes.

Speaking of the Finals MVP it's been almost a decade since a center has won it. PGs and any other position has as much weight as Center. This is not football where a certain position weighs more than the other...you can't win a championship without quality guards or big men. You need someone to get the ball up, not make mistakes, and run the offense.

Especially in the Heat dominated NBA where they can destroy your PGs soul with intense pressure.

It's like what good was Yao when no one could even get him the ball? Think about the Yao and Tmac days...and think about what everyone around here wanted...a decent PG that could handle the ball and just get Yao the ball. That seems to be so underrated.

James is not a PG either because the more he handles it the more he seems to turn it over most nights. James is just a combo guard but we certainly don't want him handling all the PG duties.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If it has to be one or the other, CP3, no question. Howard's body is starting to go south.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

well this isnt a C vs PG debate tho.. if youre going to start from scratch and have a 100% chance the player you choose will be a superstar, what position would you choose?

me, i would go 3/4/5.. a superstar SF or a superstar C would be the easiest to build around. if you go superstar PG youre already behind the 8 ball.. like so many of these lottery teams that wind up drafting kyrie irving, john wall, and derrick rose.. derrick rose as great as he is is just too small to take over a series matched up against lebron or durant.. same will go for cp3.. now im not saying those guys cant absolutely given the best circumstances, win a championship, they can.. a team built like cp3/harden/dwight would be undeniable favorites in the west.. seeing the way a vet like garcia was able to body up durant, howard would control the paint, and they wouldnt be able to stop the rockets offense.. i see a team like okc becoming a strictly jump shot team with dwight manning the paint..