1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul on How The Houston Rockets Almost Beat The Golden State Warriors in The WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 9, 2020.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Games 4 and 5 (until CP3 went down) of 2018 WCF were the high point of my Rockets fandom, sadly (starting watching in 2003).

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

he still isn't a "missing piece". are you saying if we had him we win the title last year? and people keep glossing over how low his usage was in OKC vs what it would have been here. I really don't believe he would have had the same type of season or stayed healthy here.

3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

As disappointing as his bricks were, I still don't blame that on him as much as it was just the result of not having another playmaker in cp3 there. Sure he missed a few open ones (as everyone else did), but the momentum wasn't there and Trevor has never been a player who could create his own shot. Expecting him to do that I think is unrealistic and I feel his time here is more remembered for this than what he actually brought to the table for several seasons as the "consummate professional" glue guy. It's unfortunate. Having him, cp3 and tucker be that in sync on defense and shutting down the warriors' movement was some of the most beautiful defense I've seen.

Also, Kevin Durant has went on record naming Ariza and pj at the top of toughest defenders in the league when interviewed by qrich and dmiles a year or two ago, and I think it's for a reason.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. noppeper

noppeper Member

I don't base my assessment of a player from one game. If that were the case, I would think Eric Gordon, james Harden, etc. all suck. Overall, if you think Ariza did not impact games in crunch time for the Rockets (and Lakers before that), then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

More specific to that game 7, the Rockets were doomed that series because they lacked the depth to play small ball once CP3 went down. My memory might be hazy, but IIRC, spacing was completely off, since donkey neutralized the Harden/Capela pnr, and the Rockets shooters, who were getting wide open looks before, now were dealing with uncomfortable, contested shots. This is why MDA went to desperation mode with Ryan Anderson to try to space the floor.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

He was the missing piece if Harden put his ego aside and atleast TRIED to adjust his game. The reason CP3 was successful here was because he ran the offense perfectly, especially while Harden sat. While Harden on the court, it became a tug a war between who had the ball. Harden wanted his stats, CP3 wanted to get others involved. Ultimately Harden just stopped competing when CP3 had the ball. Its selfish and Daryl Morey allowed it to happen. But CP3 was the perfect fit next to Harden

7. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Ah yes, my Sons first heartbreak. Oh there will be plenty living in Houston, being a Rocket fan or any Houston sports team... but they will always remember their first.

My heart hurts...