1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul needs to step up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by riko, May 3, 2018.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

He's clearly worth every penny he's making now. He's top-5 in RPM, and top-15 in PER.
    However, he turns 33 on Sunday, and he's missed over 20 games for each of the past two seasons - primarily due to bad knees.

The question for Morey, is do you pay him $207M / 5 years GOING FORWARD. That's a really tough call, knowing that his decline from age 33-37 could be very steep, given his knee issues. Even with a salary cap of $110M, having 35% of your cap tied up in an aging player that consistently misses A LOT of games is really risky. It's not clear if CP3 would take a discount in either dollars or years.

For now I'm going to live in the moment, enjoy the season, and hope we hang a 3rd championship banner in the rafters.

Caesar, Lovemachine2000 and R0ckets03 like this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

There’s absolutely zero chance we lose this series whether or not cp plays well.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

his defense has been suspect all season. other than help D, everything else is just average. doesn't fight around screens. too short to contest shots. can be posted up. He's worth about 15 million right now, but the reality is, with his star power, he sells tickets and puts ppl in the seats. And he's able to get the mac moute, and joe johnson's to sign for less, knowing that he's make them look good, so really he's worth about 25 million. I wouldn't pay him the supermax. it could be a crippling contract.

Little Bit, PolarBear and Stormy1234 like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

@DreamShook

Mother of God.....

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

Has nobody else really noticed just how often CP3 gets blown by, especially with younger guards? I guess Clint and our much improved rotation D has masked some of it, but it really worries me going forward. Not gonna be an issue against GS bc of Steph's playing style, but there are just so many signs that CP3 is on a downward trend, which is exacerbated by his age, size, and knees.

LorneMalvo, PolarBear and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DreamShook, Stormy1234 and J Sizzle like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reckless keystrokes.:eek:

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Go Dream Shook!

9. tmoney1101

Don’t @ someone else when you quote me. If you have something to say, say it.

I’ve been a rockets since I was 8 years old I’m 34 now. I’ve watched just about every regular season and playoff game they’ve played since then. Sorry if I don’t want to shoot myself after every playoff loss.

It could be but we’re all in and part of that is going to be getting cp paid. For gods sake we had the best regular season we’ve ever had this year. We’ve lost 2 games in the playoffs and cp hasn’t looked great but we’re just getting started there’s a lot more basketball to go.

It’s really disappointing how up and down some people are from game to game. It’s different during the regular season but this is the playoffs. This isn’t the time to criticize and pick your team apart. We’ll have the whole offseason for that. I’m enjoying the ride.

Hakeemtheking and Dankstronaut like this.
  10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This dude passed up so many open 3s during game 2 I wanted to throw my phone at him. I don't know why he's afraid of taking them all of a sudden, he's been shooting well for the most part of the year.

The good news is I haven't seen him have back to back bad games. Win please.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Zero chance?? Riiiiiight. We have every chance. There is another 8 seed getting their clock cleaned. I think we are favored. But this is far from a layup.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. This is concerning. I think his IQ will help his game age well on offense. But defense he is slipping as a max player.

justtxyank and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's definitely worth top tier point guard pay. The only thing i worry about is playing 50-60 games a season and being prone to nagging injuries. Hopefully lowering his min to 32mpg keeps him fresh for deep runs every season. If John Stockton and Steve Nash can be effective well into their late 30s and even up to 40, why can't CP3 with his play style? Granted, Stockton was even more durable than Harden and Nash had almost a decade long stretch of barely missing games. Nash averaged over 10apg until he was 37 years old. Stockton until 34, after which his minutes dipped under 30mpg but still averaged over 10 per 36. CP3 dipped under 10 last season and now had his second lowest of his career, just 0.1 apg better than his rookie season. His USG is still high, so maybe it's just lower minutes + letting Harden do his thing and taking a back seat. But, maybe that's what keeps him going longer into his late 30s. We saw how effective he was this year playing the way he has so he doesn't need to be going off for 18 and 10 on the season. His presence alone is worth more pay than the majority of starting point guards in the league, both on court and off court for recruitment. Players stats may dip when they join better talent, but doesn't mean his talent isn't there anymore. CP3 can go play in NO next season and average 11apg again. Just different roles.

This is a top 5 point guard of all time, with advanced stats saying he should be the GOAT PG, and were discussing whether he's worth the max or not. It's as silly as the discussion of whether it's worth getting LeBron James or not. "I don't know if i want Michael Jordan. He's been retired for a season and a half and Hakeem just won back to back. We don't need him and he'll take away shots from Hakeem."

If making CP3 happy gives us a chance to build a big 3 of a top 5 pg ever, a top 5 sg ever and the GOAT SF(Bird 1b). You do it.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He wasn't throwing down on you man, it's a running joke.

tmoney1101 and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He isn't a scorer so I think 18-20 ppg and 8-10 apg couple steals is what he can bring.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I posted this on twitter and this is a good place to post here too. A pet peeve of mine with CP's game.....

There are many times early in shot clock. 24-18, 18-12 where CP3 runs a PNR, the defender trails and CP has a wide open jumper 3. And doesn’t take it (looking for a better shot from past experience). But in this offense, take the shot! Old habits die hard.

CP3 at times needs to recognize the best offensive play is....himself. But take the 3 earlier in the shot clock instead of a "bail out 3" with the defense draped on him. CP3 isn't Harden. He doesnt have the strength, height to get those shots off consistently and doesn't have the start/stop powers of Harden on drives. BUT, CP is a good set shooter on 3's. Take those set shots.

j@amc and Stormy1234 like this.
  17. BigTex

BigTex Member

CP3 played great in Utah last postseason

30/10/6. 50%fg
    Winning 2 out of 3 games in Utah

tmoney1101 and Deuce like this.
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

And make the easy driving layup. But if you aren’t going to shoot the layup...drive with more speed (ala Nash) and circle back for another run. Do that, and the timing on the rotations will fall apart.

I think going to the basket a little quicker would do wonders for us. But if you are the driver, make someone stop you.

19. tmoney1101

1 seed*

That other team also happens to be playing Lebron.

We’re not losing to the Jazz period. That’s not going to happen. If what you’ve seen this year doesn’t give you faith in this team then I’m not sure what they could’ve done.

20. tmoney1101

Haha yeah I missed that.

I didn’t mean to come off like a jerk but all this pessimism going around is irritating. You’d think after last year with the Astros people would know how long playoff runs ebb and flow.