1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul is actually tradable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bevo202, May 12, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with this, we need to get younger, longer and more athletic, but we're not going to trade CP3, and i'm not even saying if that's right or not, it's just not gonna happen...again, unless he asks for it.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn I was thinking exactly this today but realized it's not workable. Philly doesn't want a huge ass contract; if anything they'd like to offload one.

Simmons as a small ball 5 to rule the all. That would be nice. But don't think it will work.

Also, it might be time for me to take a long look in the mirror. How ****ed up am I that my ideas are echoed by Chris ****ing Broussard? God damn, Haymitch. You got some work to do.

rcketsfan1 and Gray_Jay like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

4. pippsux

pippsux Member

Cp3 is not getting traded, I just don't see it, however I would love to see Gordon, Capela and some fillers on the trade market.
    * Gordon - expiring contract and has value
    * Capela - his big contract could fetch us someone with a bigger impact

Again, I don't see Cp3 being traded.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Can we do a trade around John Wall AND Bradley Beal? I think CP3's contract is 1 year less than Wall's.

Perhaps a CP3/Nene + picks/salary fillers for Wall/Beal?

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

True, but Harden 'only' played an average of 37 minutes a game this year. You still need a point for the other quarter of the game. That point guard can probably be found for less than 40 million a game though...

Another question is whether the Rockets offense as a whole is better with Harden holding the ball or if Harden deferred more to another guy running the point. We've all noticed that, as the season wore on, and especially in the playoffs, the Rockets did a lot less running around, setting screens and finding the open shooter, and a lot more, '3 guys stand around at the 3 pt line, watching James try to break some guy down on the dribble' while Clint does whatever the hell Clint does. Would a true point, not ravaged by Father Time, help the Rockets do more of the first, not the second?

I have no problem with 3s and dunks. I don't think you can shoot midrange shots well enough for them to be anything more than a deception strategy. I just think that a true point might get guys more involved such that the 3s they do take, are higher percentage ones than they're currently taking

I agree that trading CP3 is essentially impossible. I can live this version of Paul though. It's the gone-for-15-games on end version that I think is just a killer. And why I want nothing to do with Kevin Love. Or Hayward if you're not 100 percent sure he's healthy.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What can you get back for Gordon, that's better than what Gordon gave you? Especially as the year wore on?
    In March and April, he was a beast: ~47/45/75, with 16.5 pts a game. Ortg 115 for March, 124 for April. All for only 14M next year. You might get back a more consistent player, and certainly a younger player, but I'm not sure you'll get back a better player.

Capela is a guy who I think the league perception is that he's much more valuable to the Rockets and their style of play, than he would be anywhere else. I don't know if other teams value him to where you'd get something good back.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wall and CP3 is just swapping bad contracts, and then u have Washington essentially giving up their best asset by far in Bradley Beal for Nene, whatever trash picks the Rockets even have left, and salary filler. That’s not even close to realistic.

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Why is Paul always the problem? Harden didn’t take advantage of game 5...

As great as he is and he is the mvp he should of sealed the deal. As hard as it is to hear this.....Kobe, Lb, etc etc would of found a way.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't mind Harden being the facilitator …. what I don't like is how long it takes him attack. If they could get into the offense quicker , instead of walking it up and setting picks to get a favorable matchup - push the ball up on misses or makes & run the pick and roll from the get go. If that doesn't produce a favorable shot , it likely produced a favorable matchup for Harden , if not run it again with a secondary pick man & your big diving to the bucket. Your corner shooters aren't affected at all …. Besides that , when you push it up quickly you often get easy shots because the defense has to scramble to match up ….

Yeah , that was my point , You can get a guy capable of running the point when Harden sits for far less than that $40m …. Hell , Rivers might be the perfect guy because he plays well off the ball , can knock down 3's , get to the rim and defend at a high level. I wonder what kinda offers he'll get this offseason … Move CP3 for a 3 or 4. (if that's at all possible).

lw17 and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That didn't occur this year …. why would Morey expect it a year older and a year slower ?

I don't think they trade him …. but I wish they could , I don't think he has as much value here as you do. He might be more valuable on a different team that needs a quality point - not one who has a ball dominant superstar running the show. Point guard was a poor choice of positions to spend big on with Harden as your center piece. An elite wing along with Harden and Capela would have been ideal.

12. pippsux

pippsux Member

Exactly, a younger more consistent player with size and athleticism.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

So I looked up "Mark Jackson Antics" and this is what came up...

lw17 likes this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ok, so I kept digging and saw the reports on him telling Jerry West to get the f__k out of his gym (when he was a GS board member), being extorted by an exotic dancer with his own lewd photos, telling players that Festus Ezeli was rooting against them, etc. I didn't know, I thought he was a ordained minister now who had been a pretty damn good PG in his day. Thanks for making me do the research, I learned something new today.

saleem likes this.
  15. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Why is this not realistic? Also who would trade a healthy CP3 for an unknown Wall recovery? I'm pretty sure every GM would want CP3 instead of Wall at this point in time.

Wall will be coming off a potential career threatening injury (achilles).
    Wall doesn't plan to play this upcoming 2019-2020 season while Paul should be healthy and ready to go.
    Wall will be 30 by the time he plays again 2020-2021 season.
    Wall's contract is 1 year longer than CP3's (which saves them $46m).

Worst contract in the NBA Wall + Beal = CP3 + Nene (expiring) + House + Clark + Hartenstein Salary fillers + whoever else except Gordon, Capela and Tucker.

The only way Rockets do the above trade is if they can get Butler for Gordon + Capela and then give the full MLE to DeAndre Jordan.

C - Jordan
    PF - Tucker
    SF - Jimmy Butler
    SG - Beal
    PG - Harden

When Wall comes back the following year you can play the death line up to compete with GSW:

C - Tucker
    PF - Jimmy Butler
    SF - Beal
    SG - Harden
    PG - Wall

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wall is the worst contract in the NBA, but CP0 is top 5 in that department as well...even if every GM would rather have CP0 than Wall, that doesn’t mean they’re giving up 25 yo All-Star Bradley Beal coming off averaging 25, 5, and 6 in order to make that happen is my thinking

Falcao and saleem like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Sounds great. Who did you have in mind?

I have, along with a lot of you, bagged on Gordon, Mr. "I'm just not having fun", throughout the year. But didn't he get his $hit together the last two months of the season? Might not extending him---hell, give him a no-trade clause, let him know the Rockets believe in him---for something like, spitballing, 3/42, give him him the confidence that we believe in him and hopefully he will play like he did in March/April?

Because I could live with that for 14 a year.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Swapping CP3 for Wall is switching a bad contract for a putrid contract. Y'all want a ruptured Achilles John Wall making 45+ million a year. His whole game is athleticism.

19. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

How do you feel about JVG?

amaru likes this.