1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul hopes to represent New Orleans "for many years to come"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by timelordtwo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Outside of all the typos, I agree 100% with this. Few GMs have a long term strategy and that hurts most of them...of course most GMs also have owners judging them on their short term success so that might have something to do with it and is also pretty amazing considering most of these owners are very savvy business men.

(btw, Firefox has a decent spell checker built in - give it a shot)

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

As long as its not New York. I am :) .

3. worzel gummidge

The Chouset deal has stalled. If Shinn is looking for more leverage by involving another buyer or just wants another buyer. Stripping the team of future salary owed, makes it a more attractive sell.

It really depends on how quickly Shinn wants to sell.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is just not true, it depends entirely upon the new ownership group and what their goals are.....

They may want to keep all of them and see what they have.....

DD

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...basically when a team waits, they give more power to the player to dictate the terms of the trade(indirectly) by their signing power. We saw this summer that these teams lose when players wield the power. For a franchise like New Orleans, they can't afford to lose in a scenario like that.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

He signed the extension and took the mantle of being the franchise player. Paul bears some responsibility, too. He wasn't playing for free.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Honestly, I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to buy a struggling NBA franchise in a small market. I think even the successful ones in small markets operate on a high risk, low reward model compared to any other investment opportunity.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep. Paul doesnt intend to come back. They cant afford it but???? This is the Amare symptoms creeping in. He wants out publicly. Then they talk him from the ledge after dangling him and asking for too much AKA Steve Kerr. Hornets get nothing.

This is how it goes in their future off that model.

-Hornets suddenly resurgent a bit and Paul plays good.
    -They make playoffs barely after more trade rumors
    -They dont get anything in trades because they ask for too much and teams offer less now
    -They lose in the first round and Paul is disgruntled and says so after playoff game or missed playoffs due to injuries on team
    -more him saying he wants out next year
    - trade talks
    - less value next year because one year less and rental for other teams makes him huge risk
    -only wants to play on Amares team and now Carmello there
    -Hornets have no choice but to trade him to New York for peanuts or garbage players or keep him.
    -they have to keep him
    -convince him to stay
    -he leaves for nothing in two years

They get nothing. Move franchise to Las Vegas or are one of the teams vying to move to Las Vegas with Toronto and Cleveland as the other lead horses in that race.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well the guy in OK City bought the Supersonics...if you catch my drift.

DD

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

11. rrubio101

rrubio101 Member

Seems like a perfect opportunity for DM to overwhelm them with a package of young talent and picks they cant refuse and may not be offered ever again....

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thank the lord. DID NOT WANT!

Granger, fine, but don't you dare give up AB or LS or...wait for it...Trevor Ariza.

He's going to have a great year.

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I hope what he says is true and he stays in New Orleans. I definitely did not want him here because of his recent injury. We don't know how he is going to come back and play. The injury wasn't minor so his game could have drastically changed. I am happy as long as he stays in New Orleans and doesnt go to New Orleans.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my feelings exactly

15. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Morey is planting seeds everywhere. N.O. Is gonna look for the best deal and when their ready Morey will pounce first and offer the best deal. Hopefully involving Lowery(so he can get his starting job), Trevor or Shane, maybe patterson and some picks.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hahaha - oh ya, I catch your drift ;-)

17. YouCompleteMe

YouCompleteMe Member

Even though the hornets have clearly said they will not trade Paul? Or did you just ignore that part?

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why would they wait till next season? Chris Paul actually has leverage next season, just like Amar'e did.

All he has to say is "I'm not resigning with that team." and the team will back away from the deal.

If the hornets want the most from CP3 they would trade him this season and if anything right now. The Magic or Rockets or any contending team isn't going to trade for Chris Paul if they are say 1st or 2nd in their conference.

19. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Make up your mind.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I imagine mgmt told him that wasn't going to be traded, so he can be whine about it and have fans turn on him, or he can play and enjoy the season.

Yes, they lose leverage by waiting, but not between now and the trade deadline. And honestly, there is no way they're really going to get fair value in return. Expirings don't have much value if they feel he's going to walk regardless. Can they get anyone of similar value? doubtful? draft picks are a big gamble.

No reason to do anything right now.