1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul envisions retiring early to spend time with his children

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://nba.si.com/2013/10/21/chris-...sports-illustrated/#more-54154?sct=nba_t2_a13

2. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Have any of you thought that CP3 sometimes plays the game in 2nd gear, doing just enough for his teams to win by involving everyone. But if he really wanted to, if someone talked enough smack to him, he could take over the game any time he wanted to?

3. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

IF he actually goes through with it, he gets nothing but respect from me

4. Yellow

Yellow Member

Exactly, I think it's great. Rather than trying to get a championship until your 42 and just sitting on a bench, might as well enjoy your life with your wife and children which is way more important.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Only bigtexxx, among us, can say the same thing.

6. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

If this is true this will be the future of the clippers

[​IMG]

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

Nope this will be their future :rolleyes:

8. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

One of my favorite players to read about. He also does tons of good/charitable work off the court. I love Chris Paul, the person and the player, just not the flopper :)

9. SunsRocketsfan

sad story about his grandpa but Paul is one of the biggest douche bags in the NBA along with Dwade. He's defintiely one of the worst floppers in the league and doesn't stop whining when he doesn't get the flop call. He his little man syndrome and has just become an annoying punk.

10. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Remember when T-Mac said the same thing??

[​IMG]

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can see a coach doing this , but as a player I don't think I would. I just spend as much time with them as possible for the four months of offseason

If I were a superstar player, It would be extremely hard for me to leave my teammates and my game. I think I'd go stir crazy at age 35 and not be as happy as a father as if I stayed on the court

12. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

So, CP3 is a douche bag because he flops and whines? Damn near every NBA player does that. Lol. Come on, now. If you don't like him (which is obvious) then fine, but don't act like him and Wade are the only ones who do that. Kobe, Bron, Durant, etc all do the same thing. Hell, Jordan whined about everything.

But back to the topic at hand, I'd hate to see CP3 retire "early," but I'd respect it. His reasoning makes perfect sense. It'll be interesting to see who takes his top PG spot when he leaves. Rose? Irving? Westbrook? Lillard? Wall? Lol. The list goes on. Should be exciting.

13. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Lol Why would the clippers suck or need to tank without CP3??? They're in LA a place lots of people want to play and seem to have turned the franchise around from a bottom dweller. Sadly I don't think we will ever see the clippers as bottom of the west team ever again.

Even this year if Cp3 went down for the season,Darren collison is a very capable starter who has put up good numbers in this league before. The clippers big issue is the complete lack of post play with deandre and blake. I think antawn jamison might have the best moves on that team but he's nearly 40

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would he need to retire to spend time with children when he spends hours and hours with DeAndre and Blake every day?

1 person likes this.
  15. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

So, he's going to retire from an eight-month-a-year job at 35 instead of 40? I understand he has to travel a lot during the season, but he has the entire summer off. If he loves his children too much to work those five years, does he love them too much to let them go to school? Will he home school them? I've got nothing against CP3, but this is a stupid story.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ok.... deandre and blake need to grow up

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If CP3 "retires early", that means he'd retire at age 35, 36.

If he's capable, i.e., no major injuries, he'll command $20,000,000 a year on the court and who knows how much more off the court.

Nothing to see here. Just a way to generate hits on a sports site with a provocative article title.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

So after 40 years of horrible team management you think they will never be a bad team again because of 2-3 years of mild success? lololol