1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chris Mortensen] Dolphins to possibly trade Ronnie Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Aug 19, 2008.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3155

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Monday Night Countdown that Ronnie Brown could be on a team other than the Dolphins by Week 1.

Huh? Mortensen is probably Bill Parcells' mouthpiece here, and the Tuna may be trying to drum up interest. Brown has struggled in the preseason after ACL surgery, but is only 26. While Ricky Williams supplanting Brown as a starter is possible, we wouldn't expect any trade. We would expect Brown's precarious fantasy value to take a hit as his stock in the organization is dimming.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

If there is any truth to this rumor, I'd like to see the Texans at least inquire about Brown. I'm no expert on the zone blocking scheme and I'm not even sure Brown would fit in the system but he has a lot more talent than any single back on our team and until he got hurt last season he was considerably the best back in the NFL up until that point. The recovery from the ACL injury is a risk, but I think I'd be willing to take the gamble. I just get the feeling that Brown isn't a Parcells type of RB.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Haha and I get the feeling that he wont come here nor will the Texans inquire about him. Im sure they'd take all of their injured RBs in Green and Brown and unprovens in Taylor, Slaton, Walker, though Slaton may be something. But hey wouldnt that make Ronnie Brown a good fit, hes coming off injury, just like our 2 main backs!! :p

4. conquistador#11

what does is it take to be a parcells guy? are you a parcells guy? I know I'm not, I only take orders from my Gf; but I appreciate everything that Bill brings to the NFL.

Bill might be your best friend, and you don't even know it. =)

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yes, I know he's injured, however, it would be foolish to not even inquire about Brown...Definitely an upgrade from what's here...

I'd rather have an injured Ronnie Brown than an injured Chris Brown...

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no, you wouldn't - ronnie brown signed one of the most lucuative, non-QB contracts in football three years ago. at the time, it was 5 years, $34M with nearly $20M guaranteed. so you'd be picking up whatever's left. THAT's why miami might be looking to deal him: they don't want to pay that kind of change to a back-up.

chris brown, otoh, signed a pretty meager 2-year, $3.6M deal with less than a million guaranteed. if they're both injured, you're light years better off with chris.

7. yobod

yobod Member

I came in here to say exactly this, knowing that a lot of people would probably be clamoring for the Texans to give him a look. Right now, the backs that the Texans have (outside of Green, of course :mad: ) are all low-risk, high-reward type guys. Slaton of course is going to be given a lot of chances since the Texans used a third-round pick on him, but he's also got the most upside out of any of the guys in our backfield.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown... one of the most prolific if not the most talented backfield College Football had seen in the past 30 years (Craig James I'm looking at you). Top 5 picks from the same backfield in the same draft.

Now both of their careers seem over before they even got started.

Rudi Johnson's 15 minutes are also up seems like.

Another Auburn RB with all the potential in the world bites the dust.

Bo Jackson curse?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Why would the Dolphins do this? He was awesome before he got hurt last year -- 4/7 100 yard games for the worst team in the league and he was getting mad receiving yardage also.

Trade a guy like that because you have Ricky Williams waiting in the wings? Uhhhh..... :confused:

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

We should trade Mario Williams for Reggie Bush.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

His last name is Brown. He would fit in perfectly :D

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hey, Craig went to the Pro Bowl and was the feature back on a Super Bowl team!!! :)

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But did you see where he went to high school? Yikes.

14. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

Oh, absolutely.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's why he rocks. ;)

16. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

man id love to get brown but not at a cost of a high draft pick or multiple picks so it probably wont happen. Its so hard to invest much into RB at any time they can get hit on the knee and boom theyre never the same player again. I really think slaton can be a player Im eager to see him go 3 quarters this weekend

17. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Don't forget Kenny Watson too.

Edit: I mean Kenny Irons

#17 gunn, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  18. cardpire

cardpire Member

we need to trade for lendale so we can have a white, brown, and green backfield.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the most interesting thing in this article to me is that ricky williams is still playing and although i haven't seen him this pre season, his numbers look pretty decent.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He's been much better than Ronnie Brown in camp and preseason, and is now considered the starter.