1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Kaman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. onreego

onreego Member

Should the Rockets pursue Chris Kaman now that he'll be a free agent this summer?

He had a rough start but finished out the year averaging 14.8 on 48% shooting and somewhere around 9 Rebs in the second half. I'm sure he'd be better option at the 5 as a starter than Dally. He just turned 30 but does, however, have a history of injuries.

Not sure how much he is in the market for but I'm sure he could still get 10mil being that skilled centers are hard to come by. Doubt the Rockets would be willing or able to pay him that much though. Maybe other options, like S&T's?

What do you guys think of the caveman?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

what I think of him

3. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

yes. we need him to secure next #14 pick.

2 people like this.
  4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Kaman would most definitely help us get the #14 next year.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Draft a center?

6. onreego

onreego Member

Obviously, a possibility but on the off chance that they do not draft a center (which they haven't under Morey) or do not get D Howard in some miracle trade(which they won't) then I could see the Rockets pursuing him. Especially with their philosophy of staying competitive. Also, they were in trade rumors during the deadline for Kaman.

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Just trade Martin and our two firsts for Anthony Davis :rolleyes:

8. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

:rolleyes:

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

We will draft a center this year . . .

but he will be 6' 09".

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Kaman does something that the Rockets really need.... He scores in the low post.

What does Kaman not do... Stay healthy

When healthy ,Kaman is a bigger, better version of Scola on the basketball court.

Should the Rockets take a look at him??.... Yes.

Should they go into a bidding war for him??... absolutely not.

I would take him on a fairly small low risk contract all day long. Something along the lines of a Dalembert type deal would be the most I would give him. That doesn't seem like much, but it will be leaps and bounds more than Miami, LA, or any other playoff team will be able to offer him.

I dont think the Rockets have him in mind as the key free agent they are going after, but if you move some parts around and free up some money that way he could be a useful player to bring along next season at a low risk price.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Donatas Motiejunas? Camby? Greg Smith? #14/16?

12. onreego

onreego Member

Exactly, I don't see him as a major target of theirs but much of what I saw from McHale lacking a 5 in the 4th quarter had a lot to do with their current centers inability to score in the post. Thus leading to 2 pfs playing out of position and major collapses. The 2 reasons for this is poor coaching and lack of interior scoring.

I think adding Kaman after making whatever moves Morey does to improve this roster will help with interior scoring and at the same time help with McHale from a coaching perspective. Although some say that McHale has no offense, I think a much of his offense is dependent on legitimate post threats. With Scola being the only option in there that makes things so much easier on opposing defenses.

13. onreego

onreego Member

From what I've read D-Mo is most serviceable at the 4 with spot minutes at the 5, which a 7ft front court would be nice to have. Camby is great but really poses no threat in the post and is likely not going to give you 40mins a night for 82 games. Smith still a work in progress. 14/16 hopefully traded to move up and either way will need to be developed.

I'm not saying go all in for him but rather look at him as an option. The Rockets are stuck with the philosophy of staying competitive. So, with that in mind if they can get Kaman with a low risk move he could improve the team, albiet slightly.

14. MONON

MONON Member

I think you're being quite optimistic on our future center's height.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If this were 2005 I'd say yes.

16. Mariachi ROCKET

The only German Ill wnat on this team is Drik!

SO NO!

17. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

What i see of him

[​IMG]

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

"SIMILAR THREADS" show Rockets fans on the board have wanted Kaman since 2008. Why not:

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why? seriously ...what would that accomplish. Caveman is the kind of guy you add when you are looking to put yourself over the top. We must be in full rebuild mode. I don't care if our MGMT doesn't understand. It's reality. A signing like Caveman would be continuing to float as opposed to the sink or swim direction we need to forge.

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If he does sign with the rockets lets just skip the season and take the 14th pick in advanced. Rockets games to be replaced with Les reading stories to rockets players in a seventies themed childrens show. morey will guest star as a ninja turtle and teach karate to scola, and kaman will be on a rocking chair singing songs with a guitar. brooks and lowry will be the trouble makers in the class always fighting about who gets to play with toys first and we will learn all about the value of sharing from mchale.