1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Bosh Hospitalized in Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Celebriduck, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

this is definitely about basketball. remove basketball from the situation and chris who?

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, this could be it for him (bball wise), at least he's in good care (I mean I'd hope so with his money). As mentioned above pulmonary embolism is so ****ty. Hopefully he can continue eventually, but honestly at this point if I were him you'd have to consider if it's worth it. Clots are no joke, especially if they aren't seeing a clear dx.

3. Ranny

Ranny Member

Man what a pity about Bosh's illness. I hope he recovers plays again and has a long and happy life, that said.... i dont mean to be insensitive but boy! we dodged a bullet with this one!

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AP has been told that Heat forward Chris Bosh has resumed taking bloodthinners to treat a clot and has hopes of playing again this season.</p>&mdash; Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/699668705043750912">February 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's got to take the thinners for at least 3 months... And since this is a second unprovoked clot, life-long anticoagulation is reasonable and perhaps indicated. If the dude is getting paid one way or the other, it seems questionable whether it's worth it to risk his life over another couple years of basketball.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep in mind: If doctors determine Heat F Chris Bosh needs blood thinners for the rest of his life, he will be forced to retire.</p>&mdash; Russell Johnson (@RussJohnsonNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/RussJohnsonNBA/status/699672710927011840">February 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. 25CookemHarden

Its over, if I were him I would not play bball again. It is not worth it. He needs to find the root cause of his hyper-coagulation state. I am sure they have done genetic testing and coagulation studies. But damn, 2 clots in my opinion is to be on life long anticoagulation. PE are scary and he is lucky to lived through his first one and again will be lucky if he lives through a second.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a blood clot, a massive one. Number Two brings on lifetime blood thinners. MD-in-training is dead on. Sorry to hear this.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hoping for the best for him. He seems like a good guy. Being the family man he reportedly is, he needs to retire. He's had a great career that includes 2 rings and a likely HOF candidate down the road. Miami is no where near being a contender again and there's nothing left for him to prove.

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Damn shame.

Chris Bosh is one of the truely great guys not only on but even more so off the court. Everyone who comes in contact with the guy loves him.

I wish the best for him and if he does have to retire he's one of the few players who I think was def worth the money he's made. Great ambassador for the game and a true family man.

Praying and hoping bosh can resume his passions of NBA basketball, but if not this guy will have any job he wants. From tech engineer to NBA GM or tv personality he's that well rounded.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This. Even as a Heat fan, I want him to retire. He doesn't need to give any more, especially not his life.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Chris who? Chris a human being, a father of young children and a husband who has twice in one year faced life threatening condition without clear cause.
    :rolleyes:

You on the other hand, prove to not even deserve the basic compassion one human can show to another.

13. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Remove basketball from the situation and you have a husband and a father who's having serious medical issues at a very young age. Repeat: Gain some perspective.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That guy is a dick!!!

Bosh is somones son husband and father.

Just because h happens to make millions playing a game he's very very good at should never matter.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

In more significant news, a source confirmed this morning that Chris Bosh is back on blood thinners to treat clotting in his calf. Bosh went for tests yesterday but he did not need to stay in hospital, unlike last year, because the clots haven’t traveled to the lungs.

Bosh is out indefinitely, but a full recovery is expected.

As AP’s Tim Reynolds noted, Bosh hopes to play again this season. But how realistic is that?

Playing while taking blood thinners would be risky, according to several doctors. How realistic would that be? "Not at the level or intensity of NBA basketball," U-Health Doctor Robert Myerburg told our Manny Navarro.

Clearwater-based physician Brett Levine, asked about playing while taking blood thinners, told me: “It’s all about risk benefit. Blood thinners obviously increase your risk of bleeding, especially… brain bleeds. The newer generation [including] Xarelto [which Bosh reportedly took last year] have less risk of brain bleeds – worse case scenario – but still carry with them an increased risk of bleeding. The worry is someone who is on a blood thinner takes a fall.

“So it is definitely possible to play with. You just worry about the potential for bad luck. An elbow to the head, a fall on the floor, etc.”

He said clotting in the calf, which is what Bosh has now, “is less worrisome than clot elsewhere. It’s a deep vein thrombosis [DVT] so the worry is that the clot has the potential to travel to the lung. If it travels to the ‘right’ spot and occludes the right vessel, it can kill you.”

(Fortunately, it hadn’t left the calf area as of last night.)

Levine said “clots in the leg tend to travel to the lung. Clots in the heart like an atrial fibrillation tend to travel to the brain and cause strokes.”

The other way for Bosh to play this season is if he came off blood thinners after a few weeks. But is that realistic?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/02/with-bosh-on-blood-thinners-how-realistic-is-return-this-season-exploring-plus-heat-trade-um-shows-i.html

16. malakas

malakas Member

It's not realistic. It's DANGEROUS IRRESPONSIBLE AND CRIMINAL. I think the league should intervene if Bosh tries to play in the nba on bloodthinners. I don't want to watch a sport where the player is under every time risk to lose his life in front of me from a hard fall.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If it's a soleal DVT, you could argue for not doing lifelong anticoagulation; if this were a first time soleal DVT, in a non-athlete you could argue not treating at all given the low risk of embolization. I'd still be very concerned that he developed a second clot after the first was a true pulmonary embolus and would encourage lifelong anticoagulation. But the location of the second DVT is key; if it's a soleal or gastrocnemius DVT you're in a gray area.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

edit: didn't read he had calf pain. no PE.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think the calf pain tipped them off but I believe the reports are saying he does not have a second PE.

A second PE would mandate lifelong anticoagulation.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right. I did not read the original post talking about calf pain pre ASG. Calf pain would be worth looking for a DVT especially given prior history. Probably had a clot in the posterior tibial vein, though.