1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHN vs LTU] Yao vs Lituana

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yi has to be amongst the most overrated players i have ever seen. top 6 pick?. the bucks atleast got a farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior jefferson out of it. the nets got some cap space i guess.

2. LouisianaRocket

Yao played Horrible.

For a top NBA Center to be bullied like that in the paint speaks highly of Yao's toughness, or lack of toughness I should say. He was clearly not in the best condition to be playing for his country.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

And leave it to Steve Snapper Jones to be an idiot and say that "when you're 7'6"...you have to dominate..." What an absolute moron. Yao was double and triple-teamed, fronted constantly, etc. Yao did fine with what he had. Some things never change with Crapper Jones.

4. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Shawn braley, muresan and bol disagrre.lol ;)

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

He wasn't bullied. He kept at it and converted at the line. He did well considering he wasn't in his best condition, playing all those minutes and going against a defense bent on pounding him.

#65 rocketsregle, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. MandM's

MandM's Member

How do you play great with 4 guys guarding you?

Lithuania focused on him...allowed others opportunity....no one else could do anything for China.

Lith hit lots of 3's.

Easy game plan for them. Yao needs to wash his hands with scrub China team. Every year will be the same frustration for him until China gets more players (which will never happen).

Rest big dude. 1.5 months to prepare for Rockets (2.5 almost reg season).

I'm glad he played...now I'm glad it's over

7. LouisianaRocket

the whole first half he was bullied, never once did I see them in the crown bringing double teams, they kept him from under the goal.. that sir is what you call bullying. :rolleyes:

8. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

em, didn't he just recovered from an injury?

9. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

He is probably saving it for 2nd half. 12 pts, 10 of 10 FT in 2nd half is not bad, considering the defense he is drawing. He has done his part.

10. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

lol...I was thinking the same thing.

wonder what happened to Amare and Duncan (the so-called "better big men than yao") when they played in the 04 olympics...oh yea, the same thing :D

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Bullying is when you face a defense like Lithuania's and shy away from the paint. Yao did none of that. He kept fighting for position. Even the announcers made notice of how the guards waiting too long to give him the ball. There is no need to mention that if he was kept from under the goal like you said.

12. dandorotik

How ridiculous- it's people like you that give the Rockets fans a bad name. Horrible? What an incorrect use of an adjective. If you watched the game and can honestly characterize Yao's play as horrible, then that means that he (1) shot a HORRIBLE percentage at both the free throw line and in the field, (2) did a HORRIBLE job of passing out of the double teams, and (3) was HORRIBLE on defense. Because he was not close to HORRIBLE in any of those areas, then your opinion is HORRIBLE.

13. LouisianaRocket

for Yao's standards and past games stats. Yes his play was Horrible. He has been double teamed a lot in the NBA, he should know what to do. No monster dunks, no Shanghai Shake, no nothing... besides a few trips to the line. He had no energy, no nothing. Like I said, he clearly wasn't in the best condition to be playing for his country. And played big minutes at that.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Team China's perimeter players were simply outclassed. Not only did they haave their usual turnover problems, they also failed to defend and hit jumpers even when they are open. The Chinese playes often seem suprised that they are open, and proceed to miss the J. There is no rhythm to their offense with or without Yao-- who at least gave them an outlet in some instances to get a few easy baskets. Lithuania, on the other hand, hit their Js largely because they knew when it was coming within the flow of the offense.

I suppose China could have kept it closer despite their problems if their shooters had managed to get hot, or if Lithuania had failed to make a reasonable % of open Js, but that didn't happen.

15. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Clearly you are watching another game, you have absolutely no idea, If you dont know anything about basketball, you shouldnt even talk

16. dandorotik

Yes, he probably shouldn't even have played. Would they have even gotten to the top 8 without him? Heck no.

It really doesn't sound like you've even watched him play in the NBA. Do you watch what he does with the double team? He's certainly not Shanghai-shaking it, and he's only getting the dunk if they sag off the double team. He usually passes to Alston, Battier or Mac when he's double-teamed, which is exactly what he's supposed to do, and when he feels the single coverage, he makes his moves.

Heck, even Dream passed out when he felt the double team. I'm telling you, Hakeem was NOT scoring when Seattle put the double-team clamps on him. In this game, Yao made the exact correct decisions when doubled. For his relative lack of conditioning, he was still the best player on China's team, by far. Not to knock the other players- they tried. But Yao is clearly a step above- and no one, no one except maybe Dirk faced the type of defense that Yao did in these Olympics.

I think any Rocket fan should be proud of Yao Ming for his performance in these Olympics considering all the factors involved. He represented his country and our team very well. Hen Hao!

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Disagree. I reviewed the game with the Tivo and he was almost never double teamed- often triple teamed and on a few prominent plays it was literally 5 on 1. As poorly as the rest of the team played he was all they had going and LTH capitalized on that.

18. jason2

jason2 Member

what a ugly game! Yao has finished his Olympics, rest of his career will be contributed to Hoston yohoooooooooo

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

While I feel bad for Yao being ousted from the Olympics, I am very happy he can now focus on rehab and preparing for the NBA season.

20. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Well, it's over now. No more having to watch the god-awful Chinese team slug it out. I swear watching them too much is gonna give me a heart attack one of these days.

Let's just hope that Yao gets back in prime condition before the season starts now. Clearly, he is far from ready to play. All through the tournament he looked 2,3 steps slow and his level of activity on defense and on the boards is just sub-par.