1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The sleeper must awaken

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Lol @dachuda86 trolling job continues. Does anyone take you seriously anymore? Still haven’t shown your face in the arbery thread pretty soon this one as well

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Written in 2018. These scientists right here were working on COVID before COVID!

"Subsequent work identified genetically diverse SARSr-CoVs in Chinese horseshoe bats (Rhinolophus sinicus) in a county of Yunnan Province, China and provided strong evidence that bats are the natural reservoir of SARS-CoV (Ge et al. 2013; Li et al. 2005; Yang et al. 2016). Since then, diverse SARS-related coronaviruses (SARSr-CoVs) have been detected and reported in bats in different regions globally (Hu et al. 2015). Importantly, SARSr-CoVs that use the SARS-CoV receptor, angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) have been isolated (Ge et al. 2013). These results indicate that some SARSr-CoVs may have high potential to infect human cells, without the necessity for an intermediate host. However, to date, no evidence of direct transmission of SARSr-CoVs from bats to people has been reported."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178078/

Oh, look: they're growing viruses in the lab.

"His-tagged nucleocapsid protein (NP) of the following viruses were expressed and purified in E. coli for this study: SARSr-CoV Rp3; human coronaviruses (HCoVs) HKU1, OC43, 229E, NL63; Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV); and Ebola virus (EBOV). In addition, the receptor binding domains (RBD) of the spike protein (S) from SARS-CoV, bat SARSr-CoVs Rp3, WIV1, and SHC014 were produced in mammalian cells (Ge et al. 2013; Yang et al. 2016)."

4. Buck Turgidson

Can you imagine paying much tuition and then showing up with this ****ing guy teaching your class?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ad hominem attacks may break my bones, but they don't make you a smart guy.

Wuhan 2018
    "The Rp3 NP was chosen to develop a SARSr-CoV specific ELISA for serosurveillance. Micro-titer plates were coated with 100 ng/well of recombinant Rp3 NP and incubated with human sera in duplicates at a dilution of 1:20, followed by detection with HRP labeled goat anti-human IgG antibodies (Proteintech, Wuhan, China) at a dilution of 1:20,000. The 240 random serum samples collected in Wuhan and two SARS positive samples from Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University (kindly provided by Prof. Xiaoyan Che)1 were used to set a cutoff value."

#85 sirbaihu, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. Buck Turgidson

Huh? I have no desire to talk to or about you. Carry on.

dmoneybangbang and RayRay10 like this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You just did.

Sorry, that was mean.
    Hey, tell your story again.
    There was a bat in a wet market? And someone ate the bat? What's your story again?

#87 sirbaihu, Sep 16, 2020
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If China was to intentionally release a bioweapon virus inside their own borders, it would have been released in Xinjiang.

SARS-CoV refers to the SARS virus that appeared in the wild in 2002. It is very similar to the SARS-Cov-2 virus but is not the SARS-CoV-2 virus. People in the US have been working on SARS and related coronaviruses as far back as 2002 as well. You know, because there was a big outbreak in Southern China near Wuhan and scientists believed that it was likely to happen again? In fact, American scientists have been working with various coronaviruses since coronaviruses were discovered in the US in 1931. American scientists actually started intentionally infecting human subjects with coronaviruses for studies in the 1960s.

So, was the 2002 outbreak a bioweapon attack, too? If not, why is reasonable to believe the 2002 outbreak was natural, but the idea that SARS-Cov-2 emerged the same ways is so obviously ridiculous?

#88 Ottomaton, Sep 16, 2020
    Nook, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Please... you are talking to someone who went to Marlyn Manson shows before Reznor made his music listenable. All forms of censorship are not equal. Government censorship created to propagate lies to keep an autocrat in power with deceiving an ignorant society... yes that is bad.

Organic societal censorship where the collective moral compass comes together in unity to stand down an evil part of culture that was previously acceptable... good censorship. Case n point... Trump and sexual assault. 10 years ago, a celebrity billionaire bragging about sexually assaulting women on tape probably would be treated differently. However the collective finally took a stand on how we treat women in society.

The same should be the case with censorship of conspiracy theories brought about by willful ignorance to deny truth not just for yourself but FORCING your make believe reality on others.

I have zero problem with a societal censorship of conspiracy theories used to force a lie upon me... especially when that lie is harmful to me and my family. No I shouldn’t be forced to coddle the ignorance of Right Wingers who don’t believe in science and want to go around without a mask on spreading a deadly virus during a pandemic because they have an alternate reality Im just expected to allow out of courtesy. Screw that.

I know good censorship and I know bad censorship. Propagating lies about a pandemic during a pandemic is something we as a collective should absolutely be censoring.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to NIN when Manson was opening for him. I thought this dude was a gimmick with his Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics cover.

Way better than KPOP

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Unsubstantiated claims in paper that is published by a society founded by Bannon, Trump's campaign manager in 2016 who has been charged with fraud by the FBI.

Twitter took her account down (for spreading debunked conspiracy theory)

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check...vidence-that-coronavirus-was-made-lab-1532068

9/15/20

The paper, "Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route," is authored by Dr. Li-Meng Yan and three colleagues affiliated with the Rule of Law Society, a group not known for its work on infectious disease. The Society was founded by Stephen K. Bannon, the former Trump advisor recently charged by the FBI for fraud, and Chinese businessman Guo Wengui, who fled China in 2014 on bribery and other charges.

The paper—a pre-print to the website Zenodo, which means it hasn't been through the rigorous peer review required to publish in scientific journals—strikes a conspiratorial tone early on, casting the debate over the origin of the virus as a battle against censorship of dissenting views and fraud. The authors provide no references to support these claims. To back up their assertion that authors of a Nature Medicine article had undisclosed conflicts of interest, they point to an announcement of an award given by China to Dr. Ian Lipkin, an epidemiologist at Columbia, for his work on the country's disease preparedness after the first SARS outbreak. The other reference links to a scientist's C.V.

The scientists Newsweek consulted also took issue with the genomic analysis of the authors. For instance, the authors point to "restriction sites" in the genetic sequence of SARS-CoV-2 as evidence that the virus was made using enzymes that act as molecular scissors to add or subtract genetic material. But "all DNA sequences in nature have restriction sites," says Arinjay Banerjee, a virologist at McMaster University, "and it is not surprising that the SARS-CoV-2 genome also has restriction sites. The evidence presented here is anecdotal."

Banerjee also cast doubt on the authors' assertion that a feature called a furin-cleavage site—part of the virus' spike protein, which it uses to attach to human cells—was deliberately inserted into the virus.

The paper, says Jonathan Eisen, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California at Davis, is "filled with unsubstantiated claims."

Nook, RayRay10 and Ottomaton like this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

hahahahaha

You take yourself seriously?

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude, the "official" story is also unsubstantiated. Why don't you tell us all the REAL story.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of course not. I poke fun at myself more that just about anyone I know. Not sure what that has to do with censorship.

Yes... there is censorship that can be good. It's usually better if that censorship comes from public consensus instead of government serving itself politically. That idea has nothing to say about how serious I take myself.

I would be willing to guess you are probably more pro-censorship than you realize. I can only imagine how much your thoughts on censorship would change if the topic was the French film on Netflix called Cuties.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So we agree that you do support some censorship. In science.
    That's bad.
    You take yourself incredibly seriously, believing you are a qualified censor.
    It's people like you who are employed as censors.

Space Ghost likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure what "official" story you are referring to.

My post was specifically about the paper this scientist posted, with feedback from other scientists in the field and what society it was posted under. I think it's enough to show that it falls into the continuation of a debunked conspiracy theory from months ago, but dressed under a new "science" paper for some creditability.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Debunked months ago? The paper came out this week though.

Listen: you have NOTHING.
    Tell us your version of how this virus got started.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This isn't a new conspiracy theory. It's a bioweapon created by the Chinese (also by the American is another theory) has been around since Feb or March 2020. This paper is new - that's why I said, "dressed under a NEW "science" paper for credibility".

I don't have any version. I'm not in the field of virology, but I do listen to experts in the field with credibility.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Looks like the pro-censorship crowd has hit a wall, not having any idea of a "true" story.

It is not liberal to censor stuff.
    Pro-censorship people don't even have their own version of the truth. Still they censor, when admittedly they themselves do not know the truth.

Let's recap.

I say: The US National Institute of Health has on its website a paper from 2018 showing scientists experimenting with this very virus in Wuhan China. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178078/ Then it leaked out of the lab in 2019. Then China tried to cover it up.

The pro-censorship people say: A bat from Yunnan infected a pangolin? And then it ended up in Wuhan? Which coincidentally is the exact place where they were studying this kind of virus a year earlier. And someone in a wet market ate something? . . . What now?

Space Ghost likes this.
  20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Chinese scientists in 2018 describing going back and forth between the coronavirus origin, Yunnan, and Wuhan:

"In this study, we performed serological surveillance on people who live in close proximity to caves where bats that carry diverse SARSr-CoVs roost. In October 2015, we collected serum samples from 218 residents in four villages in Jinning County, Yunnan province, China (Fig. 1A), located 1.1–6.0 km from two caves (Yanzi and Shitou). We have been conducting longitudinal molecular surveillance of bats for CoVs in these caves since 2011 and have found that they are inhabited by large numbers of bats including Rhinolophus spp., a major reservoir of SARSr-CoVs. This region was not involved in the 2002–2003 SARS outbreaks and none of the subjects exhibited any evident respiratory illness during sampling. Among those sampled, 139 are female and 79 male, and the median age is 48 (range 12–80). Occupational data were obtained for 208 (95.4%) participants: 85.3% farmers and 8.7% students. Most (81.2%) kept or owned livestock or pets, and the majority (97.2%) had a history of exposure to or contact with livestock or wild animals. Importantly, 20 (9.1%) participants witnessed bats flying close to their houses, and one had handled a bat corpse. As a control, we also collected 240 serum samples from random blood donors in 2015 in Wuhan, Hubei Province more than 1000 km away from Jinning (Fig. 1A) and where inhabitants have a much lower likelihood of contact with bats due to its urban setting. None of the donors had knowledge of prior SARS infection or known contact with SARS patients."