1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

When news of the virus broke, I literally looked up from reading the news on my ipad and told my wife … this is man made and came from a lab breach. Yay, maybe I’ve been right the whole time. I’m gonna run around and do my victory lap now. Or not. The government now has a department that thinks a lab leak is the likely correct theory, but apparently with weak confidence. What are we supposed to do with this? Nobody is ever going to prove the origin story in a way that is satisfactory, and certainly not in a way that’s definitive.

I fail to see how this changes much of what happened during the pandemic. Certain people will delight in claiming, SEE I TOLD YOU SO! Others will say, I CANT BELIEVE THIS GROUP OR THAT GROUP SAID IT WASNT A LAB LEAK! Yay, let’s all try to own the other person to say I was right and you were wrong.

And all the crap that Trump received re Covid, he earned 100 percent of the scorn. Maybe he was right about it being a lab leak. Whoop Dee doo. if so, I was too.

What I didn’t do was lie, spread misinformation and false cures, or act like a racist piece of crap.

ROCKSS and Amiga like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'd like to point out that the "lab leak" assessment from the US department is not a recent development. In August 2021, after President Biden directed the entire intelligence community to provide an update on the origin of the virus, one of the departments assessed with "moderate confidence" that it was most likely the result of a "laboratory-associated incident." This assessment was stronger than what was released today. It seems people who are reacting strongly to the new information today are not aware of the earlier report.

https://www.intel.gov/publics-daily...s-declassified-assessment-on-covid-19-origins

[​IMG]

Rileydog likes this.
  3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're conflating (purposefully?) events. the "department" that has moderate confidence is the CIA. the Dept of energy is not part of the intelligence community. this is in fact, new.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I read that it was actually the FBI, not the CIA. The Department of Energy's Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence is part of the Intelligence Community, which falls under the purview of the Director of National Intelligence. Previously, the department did not express a preference for one theory over the other. However, with the release of new intelligence, they now lean towards the "lab leak" theory with "low confidence." This means that the 'information obtained is not reliable enough or too fragmented to make a more definitive judgment, or that there is insufficient information to draw a more robust conclusion'.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

… or just poking a sharp stick into the PRC eye.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So Miss Yan was right

@basso
    A famous man once said

Yan can handle the truth!

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m glad this solves the second mystery of the century

did the virus come from a Chinese lab ?
    Yes

and is Tilman rich?
    Yes

@Os Trigonum @Reeko

Tfor3 and basso like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

And just so everyone knows just how dishonest the Democrats are... the ONLY reason this news is coming forward is because the Republicans control the House and have oversight and investigative abilities. If the Democrats had not lost the house, you can bet this lab leak news would still be hidden from public view. Instead, the Democrats know it's coming out, so they are putting it out there ahead of time to blunt the impact.

After all of this, shockingly, there are people who still trust the media and what the left wing politicians tell them. Even after all the lies, they still believe. Unreal.

9. basso

Supporting Member

...but you repeat yourself.

Tfor3 likes this.
  10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

entertain me here for a minute. How does this assessment hurt democrats or help republicans? I mean, besides the whole Haha, you were wrong to dismiss the lab leak theory blah blah blah. Or maybe that’s your point - the I told you so aspect of this.

it certainly doesn’t alter the course of discussion regarding Covid response. That debate doesn’t seem to change one bit.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To this conservative block I am referencing, you're a RINO.
    This is the same conservative block that called Ron DeSantis a globalist because he got the endorsement of... checks notes... Jeb Bush?

12. basso

Supporting Member

could be; don't know 'em.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Is this why Woody Harelson put it in his monologue?

14. basso

Supporting Member

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This lady is a hero and deserves a statue

Tfor3 and basso like this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

No Worries likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one ever ruled out a lab leak as a possibility - the pushback was against jumping to conclusions WITHOUT hard evidence.

It's like assuming a mass murder is by an angry white male. You don't know until the facts are there - you can't just point to circumstantial evidence with something like this. If you give an investigation time to be done, the right answer can come out.

No Worries likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's exactly what this is. It's the beginning of a smear campaign against China due to their alliance with Russia. Countries will start boycotting products and services from China if the public pressure is large enough. It's the US saying to China '**** around and find out', the ****ing around being helping Russia.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's just being ridiculous and playing the same nonsense that the media will run with. The Democratic admin already allowed another report to become public that said this with higher confidence than this one. If they were trying to bury it they missed the "don't make it public" step in the plan.

20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

You all need to calm your t***.

The Department of Energy's investigation said with low confidence that SARS-CoV-2 may have originated from a Chinese lab leak. Meaning of the evidence they reviewed, that this explanation seemed more likely than direct zoonotic crossover. The FBI report believes with moderate certainty it was a lab leak. Four other federal agencies say zoonotic crossover is more likely, but also with low confidence, and two are undecided given the evidence they reviewed.

At the end of the day, we still do not know the origin. Only the scientists at the virology lab in Wuhan in question can say with certainty this virus was from their lab or not and there is not indication that they can or will speak on the matter officially.

There is nothing in this latest update to say China released it on purpose. Or that Anthony Fauci/Bill Gates/US/globalists bioengineered it. Or that US soldiers from Maryland brought it to China on purpose.

There is nothing racist to say it was a lab leak. Laboratory accidents happen. There is not a taboo in the literature on discussing origins of SARS-CoV-2, including laboratory origins, and there is nothing conservative or liberal about it being zoonotic or lab based.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-021-00575-w
    https://www.nature.com/articles/S41591-020-0820-9
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30641-1/fulltext

jo mama likes this.