1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

So much overwhelming evidence that the elites of the world that do business could no longer cover it up. Amazing.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just my opinion

Figuring out where the virus originated has more evidence than who shot Tupac
    @Os Trigonum

3. dmoneybangbang

I mean most conservative media was pushing the Covid hoax theory.

We and the world aren't going to stop studying and manipulating viruses. We aren't going to go to war with China. If anything it will be a call for increased BSL standards and maybe increased global sanctions on China if it continues its lack of transparency.

4. dmoneybangbang

Was it the same elites who were pushing the Democratic Covid Hoax back in March 2020? Whoops.

Speaking of Elites....

15 times Trump praised China as coronavirus was spreading across the globe

Former president pancakes couldn't stop slobbering over Xi and praising him. Needs that China money for his trademarks!

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  5. DonatelloLimestone

"

"
    Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.:

"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can.""

"
    “China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”"
    -Jan. 24, Twitter:

"“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!'

"
    Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:

"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."

"
    Feb. 27, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:

“I spoke with President Xi. We had a great talk. He’s working very hard, I have to say. He’s working very, very hard. And if you can count on the reports coming out of China, that spread has gone down quite a bit. The infection seems to have gone down over the last two days. As opposed to getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”

-This is the guy they say has no filter, tells it like it is? Maybe he just says everything to everyside and whatever sticks he rolls with.
    This guy is your hero?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is simply not true - all of these seriously addressed that question and none were denying the possibility but casting doubt on the likelihood - which is still were we are today. They are good reads which explain why it is so unlikely it came from a lab, but again, none deny the possibility.

BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52318539
    Then there is the allegation of an accidental release of a natural virus from a lab. The proximity of the Huanan Seafood and Wildlife Market in Wuhan, where the outbreak came to light, to at least two centres carrying out research on infectious diseases fuelled speculation about a link. In addition to the WIV, the city is home to another institute - the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

That the WIV had carried out research on bat coronaviruses is a matter of public record. This work was entirely legitimate and published in international journals. Given the country's experience with the Sars outbreak in the early 2000s, this should come as no surprise.

But the predominant narrative about an origin at the food market had been questioned as early as January. A paper published at the time in The Lancet showed that, while most of the early Covid-19 patients had been directly exposed to the market, many others had no known link. However, it's also possible those other patients were connected in ways that aren't yet understood.

Dr Lentzos said the issue of the virus' origin was a "very difficult question", and added that "there have been quiet, behind-the-scene discussions... in the biosecurity expert community, questioning the seafood market origin that has come out very strongly from China".

But there is currently no evidence that any research institute in Wuhan was the source of Sars-CoV-2.

On 16 April, China's foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian addressed the matter at a news conference, telling journalists the World Health Organization's officials "have said multiple times there is no evidence the new coronavirus was created in a laboratory".

China has repeatedly been accused of lacking transparency in the early stages of the outbreak, and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said Beijing "needs to come clean" on what they know.

Amid this war of words between the countries, the painstaking - and largely unseen - scientific work to trace the origin of the virus will continue.

WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...accidentally-released-wuhan-lab-its-doubtful/
    The balance of the scientific evidence strongly supports the conclusion that the new coronavirus emerged from nature — be it the Wuhan market or somewhere else. Too many unexpected coincidences would have had to take place for it to have escaped from a lab. But the Chinese government has not been willing or able to provide information that would clarify lingering questions about any possible role played by either Wuhan lab.

That’s why intelligence agencies are still exploring that possibility, no matter how remote it may be. And even then, it’s unclear when or if we will ever know the origin story of this new virus that is causing death and economic turmoil around the globe.

NPR:

Lim says she does not believe a lab accident is the cause of the current outbreak: "While there is always some risk for lab accidents, risk is not reality," she told NPR in an email. "The origin of COVID-19 is consistent with other natural zoonotic crossover events, without invoking lab accidents. "

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Covid lab leak theory is looking increasingly plausible

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-covid-lab-leak-theory-is-looking-increasingly-plausible

From magazine issue: 29 May 2021

So the only known link between Wuhan and the only known source of the only known specimen of the most closely related virus to the cause of Covid-19 is the scientists. It’s highly unlikely anybody else went down the mine and then travelled a thousand miles to that particular city. Yet this bat virus from Mojiang is still not Sars-CoV-2, so either there is a closer cousin out there, or a similar bat virus was brought to Wuhan by scientists and leaked. If we are to avoid another pandemic, we badly need to know which.

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

Is anyone disputing that it was in China? Let alone how terrible they've been about opening it up to foreign investigators through and through. They gave the toothless Who investigators a sham tour.

Donald j Trump exact quotes on China Virus before it was no longer politically convenient, no fake news filter, his own words and quotes:

"“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”"
    -Jan. 24, Twitter:

"Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:

"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard.""

Feb. 27, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:

“I spoke with President Xi. We had a great talk. He’s working very hard, I have to say. He’s working very, very hard. And if you can count on the reports coming out of China, that spread has gone down quite a bit. The infection seems to have gone down over the last two days. As opposed to getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”

Now how trump talks to someone he respects : ""Bob Woodward is somebody that I respect, just from hearing the name for many, many years. Not knowing too much about his work, not caring about his work," Trump said of the celebrated journalist of Watergate fame who has been the subject of an Academy Award-winning movie. "But I thought it would be interesting to talk to him for a period of, you know, calls"
    "

Only the Obama WH can get away with attacking Bob Woodward.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 1, 2013

"
    FEB. 7

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed. And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flus.” — Trump phone interview with Woodward.

To the public:
    March 9:

"So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year," the president tweeted shortly before 11 am. "Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!"

also same guy:

"

March 31:

By the last day in March, the president had changed his tune. "A lot of people have said, 'Ride it out. Don't do anything, just ride it out and think of it as the flu.' But it's not the flu. It's vicious," Trump declared at a White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing. "This is not the flu," added Trump, definitively.

Same guy:
    FEB. 26

“The 15 (case count in the U.S.) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. ... This is a flu. This is like a flu.” — During White House coronavirus task force briefing.

"Trump also said that he watched a great deal of TV over the past 24 hours, including the Fox Business and Fox News lineup. “I watched Liz McDonald, she’s fantastic. I watched Fox Business, I watched Lou Dobbs last night, Sean Hannity last night, Tucker last night, Laura. I watched to ‘Fox and Friends’ in the morning,” he said.

Also same guy:

"
    “Believe it or not, even when I’m in Washington or New York, I do not watch much television,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One. "People that don’t know me, they like to say I watch television — people with fake sources. You know, fake reporters, fake sources.”

“But I don’t get to watch much television. Primarily because of documents. I’m reading documents. A lot,” Trump continued, speaking mainly to print reporters. “I actually read much more — I read you people much more than I watch television.”

"

he is a lot like tilman, he'll sell anyone the snake oil who is still willing to buy it. This is the guy who is a straight talker to the man of the people?
    This isn't how he hides under the guise"they don't like conservatives" or any of that, this is a question if anyone believes he has any conservative values, or values outside of self serving given his actual actions and quotes... What an embarrassing hill to be willing to die on.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Sweet Lou today.

Sweet Lou 9 days ago.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are taking quotes out of context to misrepresent what I am saying. I was talking about the virologists claims the virus had been manufactured, not that it was leaked from a lab. The virus was not manufactured, that claim has been debunked. Whether it leaked from a lab is a different matter.

But if you want to use lies to misquote me, I guess that's your deal.

#351 Sweet Lou 4 2, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    No Worries likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

unsolved mysteries

Where did the virus from China come from?
    Can you tell the difference between Wuhan and Wutang?
    Who shot 2pac?
    Who shot Biggie?
    Which cartel supplies Demi Lovato's coccaine?

@J.R.

AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

These idiots are a year late. Anyone with a brain has already made this connection.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is a point most Talking Heads do not understand.

The Talking Head’s next jump in logic is that if CV-19 “leaked” from a lab it must be a man made bio-weapon.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It was a bioweapon regardless of its original use in a lab. The Chinese cut off domestic travel to stop the spread while allowing international flights to spread it for an extended period of time. They knew it was bad and they let it out anyways so they wouldn't be the only ones hit. That is an act of great evil and we must hold them accountable.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Chinese cut off domestic AND international travel to and from Wuhan, the city, and then Hubei, the province. There was NO direct flight from Wuhan to New York or London or any other cities in China or other countries after the lockdown.

In the first couple of days of the lockdown, there are still travels between other Chinese cities and international destinations. There could well be infected passengers onboard. I believe there 2 positive cases among Wuhan evacuees (Americans evacuated from Wuhan with specially arranged direct flight) were tested, but by that time, hundreds more patients were imported from Europe.

I am all for finding out the root cause and origin of the virus, but I don't see any logical reasoning and feasibility of "keeping it safe in China and sending virus to the world at the same time".

Ever since the pandemic breakout, people with little biological training or knowledge, like talking heads, politicians, lawyers, or academics in other fields are 100 times louder than real virologists. "I was right", which wasn't even proven, doesn't score points in practical world.

Everyone is out for his/herself, NOBODY in any project would claim that there is zero risk or he/she will take full responsibility if anything goes wrong. So are the scientists, they will NOT rule out any "possibility" openly. "Very unlikely" is the political correct definition of "impossible". DNA match is not a 100% guarantee, and OJ's followers cheered - see, it's not certain.

Once again, I support investigation of the origin of COVID-19, but I don't like the "unless you rule the election as rigged, I am not going to believe anything presented" approach.

OTOH, failed/missing government response for several months is a separate issue, no matter how evil Commies are.

No Worries likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right... I mean it’s telling when someone puts the blame on MSNBC and CNN for saying the same thing virtually as the WHO and Trumps own Covid team, but completely leave out the fact that FoxNews and other right wing propaganda outlets were weaponizing the virus politically to make it a conspiracy theory they could use during an election year. That messaging from the right likely led to hundreds of thousand additional deaths in the US alone.

But in the end, I still think that if FoxNews watchers had half a brain, they’d stop and think for one second....

“wait.... so you’re telling me China released an airborne bio weapon in order to hurt Trumps re-election...okay... I might want to do something to protect myself from that...wait... you are telling me now Tucker that I don’t need to wear a mask or get vaccinated because it’s best to get exposed to a bio weapon to get herd immunity faster???.... makes total sense.... thanks Tucker!!!!”

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Like I said
    If 1000 Clutchfans jumped off a cliff
    None of them would be 99ers

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are parroting CCP propaganda

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Following the Politics, Not the Science":

https://www.city-journal.org/on-cov...lowed-politics-not-science?wallit_nosession=1

Following the Politics, Not the Science
    Scientists and journalists should reckon with their early dismissals of the lab-leak hypothesis.
    Joel Zinberg
    May 27, 2021

It is a disturbing prospect, like something out of a science fiction novel, but it’s appearing increasingly plausible nonetheless: the cause of the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic, which has killed millions and cost tens of trillions of dollars, may have been a viral escape from a Wuhan, China virology laboratory.

The latest indicator pointing toward a man-made catastrophe—that, until now, has been obscured with the aid of credulous media and scientists—comes from the Wall Street Journal, which reported that U.S. intelligence found that three researchers from the Wuhan Institute of Virology were hospitalized in November 2019 with symptoms consistent with Covid-19. That is well before the Chinese government’s claim that the first confirmed case occurred on December 8, 2019. This new report echoes a January 15, 2021 State Department fact sheetthat reported several Wuhan Institute researchers became ill in autumn 2019. The steady accumulation of circumstantial evidence has prompted President Biden to order a review.

Early in the pandemic, conservative newspapers, like the Daily Mail and the Washington Times, and Senator Tom Cotton raised the possibility of a Chinese lab leak. The Washington Post dismissed such speculation as a debunked conspiracy theory. The New York Times labeled it a “fringe theory.”

The scientific establishment also weighed in, disregarding early papers from Chinese and American scientists with evidence that suggested a lab leak origin. One group, citing mostly Chinese sources, declared in The Lancet that the coronavirus originated in wildlife, not a laboratory, and praised Chinese scientists and public-health officials “who continue to save lives and protect global health.” Five other virologists in a letter to Nature Medicine stated that “SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.” Anthony Fauci, in a May 2020 National Geographic interview, said the evidence indicated that the virus “evolved in nature and then jumped species” and had not escaped from a Chinese lab.

These early reassurances were based on surmise, not facts. They ignored that virologists in China—most prominently, the Wuhan Institute’s Shi Zhengli (“the Bat Lady”)—were actively engaged in gain-of-function research in which naturally occurring coronaviruses collected from bats were manipulated to acquire the ability to infect humans. They ignored that such research often utilizes serial viral passage through lab animals that mimics the process of a natural zoonotic jump between species. When a World Health Organization team visited Wuhan in February 2020, the institute’s staff refused to share data, safety logs, or lab records. Remarkably, that did not stop the WHO from concluding that a lab leak was “extremely unlikely.” Only four of the 313 pages of their report addressed the possibility of a lab accident.

More than a year has passed since then, with scientists assuring for most of that time that SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for Covid-19, emerged naturally. But no scientist, Chinese or Western, has produced a presumed bat source population, an intermediate species that functioned as a viral conduit between bats and humans, or evidence that the virus was present anywhere before it emerged in Wuhan. In contrast, during the 2003 SARS outbreak in China, researchers uncovered evidence of intermediate animal hosts and serologic signs of infections in animal traders within months. Analyses of SARS-CoV-2’s rate of mutation indicate that it likely began spreading several weeks earlier than the official first case date—December 8, 2019—a fact that makes the Covid-19-like illness of three lab workers in November so intriguing.

Scientists are finally beginning to take the possibility of Chinese negligence or malfeasance seriously. In a letter to the journal Science, 18 leading virologists wrote that accidental lab release remains a viable possibility and urged the Wuhan scientists to cooperate fully with additional investigations. One of the signatories, Ralph Baric, is the world’s leading expert on gain-of-function research in coronaviruses and had collaborated with Zhengli in the past. While he believes natural evolution is a more likely explanation than gain-of-function research and a lab leak, he is calling for an open, through investigation of the Wuhan Institute and its safety protocols. Other scientists point out that several peculiar characteristics of SARS-CoV-2 are inconsistent with a natural zoonotic origin and that a lab-leak origin should be investigated. Even Fauci has now admitted that he is “not convinced” Covid-19 developed naturally outside of the Wuhan lab.

Some journalists are also beginning to examine the issue. Science writer Nicholas Wade published an extensive examination of the competing natural-emergence and lab-escape hypotheses. He concludes there can be no definitive evidence for either without examining Chinese data, but that a lab leak is far more likely.

The Chinese authorities are unlikely to allow a thorough investigation, so the true origin of Covid-19 may never be known. But even more disturbing than the Chinese government’s attempts to obfuscate the pandemic’s origins is the way scientists and the media nearly uniformly insisted that a lab leak was out of the question.

Scientists may have been protecting Chinese colleagues that many had worked with and even funded. Perhaps, Western scientists feared that the possibility of Chinese culpability would reflect badly on them and their own viral-gain-of-function research.

Journalists, on the other hand, seemed intent on countering an anti-China, anti-WHO narrative advanced by President Trump and other conservatives. New York Times reporter Apoorva Mandavilli, for instance, recently tweeted (and later deleted) her hope that people would “stop talking” about the lab-leak hypothesis, on account of its “racist roots.” The scientists’ opinions in the early days of the pandemic gave such journalists cover to indulge in their usual Trump-bashing and assert that they were only “following the science,” in contrast to Trump’s allegedly baser motivations.

We’ve seen this pattern play out time and again over the past year. From the value of lockdowns and masks to the likelihood of speedy and safe vaccine development, scientists and experts based their opinions more on intuition than on facts—until the facts finally forced a reversal. And journalists seemed remarkably incurious about those expert opinions, especially when they presented them with an opportunity to criticize conservatives. Both groups, who have frequently decried official “misinformation,” ought to look first to their own failings.