1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese fans are overwhelmed with pride in this Rockes team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Munir Ming, May 16, 2009.

1. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Ok, I apologize for starting a new thread, but I guess I just have to say something after this Houston Rockets team did so many amazing things in this series against the Lakers.

Some of you might wonder how the Chinese fans think about this series? Oh, baby, they are just overwhelmed with pride in this team. Many of my colleagues (grown ups in their late 20s) have been talking about Game 6 in the last couple days like crazy. Rockets just delivered far more than we asked. We’re so proud of this team!

With or without Yao Ming, this team is hugely popular among Chinese fans. This is a classic underdog story. It’s all about heart, determination, perseverance and ultimate teamwork. And for the Lakers, what can I say? A classic story just in another sense. It's all about wasted talent.

Many of us can’t wait to watch Game 7. It will be on CCTV5 at 3:30 am Monday morning local time, but we are already planning to stay late.

No mater what happens in Game 7, I know the Clutch city has finally returned. Sooner or later, this team will win something big, so long as they keep playing like men with heart.

Go, Rockets.

God bless all those hardworking and nice people, be them Chinese or Americans, basketball players or hardcore fans.

2 people like this.
  2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Bring out the Red Bull!

330 am!

Yikes! :eek:

3. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Haha, Chinese green tea is just as refreshing.

4. glin722

glin722 Member

GO ROX! CLUTCHCITY here in Hong Kong!

Will be up at 330am!

5. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Good thing I dont live in China id be passed out drunk by 3:30am :p

6. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

Thanks for the update. It's nice to what the fans overseas think about the Rockets.

7. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

Thank you so much for writing this post.

The human brain is wired to separate, group, and classify things and people. War, racism, murder and other atrocities are reconciled with our sense of justice, value for human life, and empathy only when we can de-humanize our target as the "other" and without the human qualities that we have - e.g. fundamentalist america hating muslims, lovably ignorant sambo slave, manifest destined noble yet savage native americans or just the nameless faceless hordes of evil doers we see in movies.

I like this thread because underlying the saga of Yao Ming and the Rockets is the jostling of power between China and the US. Even barring a direct conflict between the two nations, the policies and thinking of the US is often informed by the image we have about China as the "other" - hordes of commies, all poor mindless worker bees, culturally strange - at worst inferior at best "exotic."

But this thread really smashes that separation and shows the common human element - that Chinese are literally feeling exactly the same thing that we are, that we are really both human, both exuberant and at times totally irrational and crazed rockets fans, and that we share a lot more than we know. Its a small bridge between cultures and people, but its a significant one.

In closing;

ROCKETS in 7, baby!

2 people like this.
  8. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

What a reply!

I confess I got confused for a moment, but felt really flattered at the end.

Yeah, people are more or less the same from a philosophical perspective. I work hard. I love my parents. I want to live in a bigger apartment. I want better education for my kid...

It can go on and on.

At the end of the day, we are humans sharing many of our common dreams and the love for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  9. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

I appreciated your post. well done :)

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

thanks for the update great post
    go rockets

11. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

You said the best! Thumbs up! It's all about Rockets these days among my Chinese friends!

GO ROCKETS GO!

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

330 am is either really early or really late. That shows your commitment to the team.

The Rockets can make the whole world proud by beating the Lakers in game 7.

Go Rockets.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I wonder what the worldwide TV ratings will be if there are a lot of dedicated Chinese Rockets fans stay up to watch Game 7...... :eek:

14. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

Don't forget about Argentine, Spain, and all the other countries tuning in... It must be HUGE!

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

One thing most of us might miss the realization of, is that you probably could not ask for a better scenario for getting more Chinese fans interested in the NBA. You've got the two most popular teams in China, LA and Houston for different reasons, running up each other in a grudge match that has gone the limit.

We know that game 6 had the highest ESPN ratings for an NBA game ever, but what about international ratings? David Stern must be high as a kite.

16. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

I don't know where you live, but if you have to watch Game 7 at 3:30 am, I hope you can also take a day off on Monday like me. ;)

17. Good Times

Good Times Member

I was actually wondering how China felt about the Rockets without Yao Ming playing. Thanks for sharing, goes to show it doesn't matter where you are from to be a great Rocket fan.

18. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

You know, the time is really not that convenient. Most people here will have to go to work Monday morning. I'm just lucky that I work on Saturday so that I can take a off on Monday. :)

19. moo

moo Member

Well thanks for considering us humans! lol

Funny how you say Americans think of the Chinese as "culturally strange" when you've got all the weird ***** going on in your country. I mean I could hear Paris Hilton turning in her grave.. Wait, what? She's still alive? :mad:

But it's all cool man. I'm sure a lot of us remember that film the Year of the Yao in which Yao said he wanted to be a bridge between these two great nations and what better way to link us together than the team giving a heart-warming, blood-boiling performance on the basketball court?

GO ROCKETS!!!! 火箭加油!!!

20. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

Great insight post. That is why I think yao is pretty damn special figure for both countries, who has ordinary American have a shot at learning about us Chinese and china from other aspects instead of "mainstream media".