1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China Will Build the Tallest Building In the World (220 stories) in Just 90 Days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

link

[​IMG]

China Will Build the Tallest Building In the World in Just 90 Days (Updated)

According to its engineers, this will be the tallest skyscraper in the world by the end of March of 2013. Its name is Sky City, and its 2,749 feet (838 meters) distributed in 220 floors will grow in just 90 days in Changsha city, by the Xiangjiang river. Ninety days!

It's not a joke. According to the construction company, the skyscraper will be built in just 90 days at the unbelievable rate of five floors per day.
    It's hard to believe, but they claim the building has been designed by some of the engineers who previously worked at the Burj Khalifa. It is also the same firm that built a full 30-story hotel in 15 days—which yes, is still standing and in perfect working condition.

Foundation work is beginning at the end of the month, once the Chinese authorities give the final go ahead to the project.

Pre-fab magic

They will be able to achieve this impossibly fast construction rate by using a prefabricated modular technology developed by Broad Sustainable Building, a company that has built 20 tall structures in China so far, including the that 30-story hotel.

Since they built that hotel, the company has been perfecting their technology, which they are now claiming will turn their project into the world's tallest skyscraper in just three months. That's a whooping five floors per day, which seems just absurd. According to Construction Week Online, the company is very serious about it. The senior VP of the Broad Group, Juliet Jiang, has publicly said that they "will go on as planned with the completion of five storeys a day."

Record numbers

Unlike the Burj Khalifa, the tower will be mostly habitable. Its final height will be 2,749 feet high (838 meters). Compared that to the Burj's 2,719 feet (829 meters), which include the spire at the top resulting in a total of 163 floors.

Sky City will use an astonishing 220,000 tons of steel. The structure will be able to house 31,400 people of both "high and low income communities". The company says that the residential area will use 83-percent of the building, while the rest will be offices, schools, hospitals, shops and restaurants. People will move up and down using 104 high speed elevators.

The record figures don't stop there: in addition to the 90-day construction time—as opposed to the 210 days initially reported by the Chinese media—the company claims it will cost $1,500 per square meter as opposed to the Burj's $15,000 per square meter, all thanks to the prefab technology.

They also claim it will be able to sustain earthquakes of a 9.0 magnitude and be resistant to fire for "up to three hours," as well as be extremely energy efficient thanks to thermal insulation, four-panned windows and different air conditioning techniques that were already used in their previous constructions.

To be honest, it all seems like a tall tale to me—no pun intended. Although the credentials of the company seem to be quite serious, one thing is to build a 30-story hotel in 15 days and the other is to built the largest skyscraper in the world in 90 days. It just boggles the mind. Maybe it was April's Fool in China yesterday.

Whatever it is, we will discover it in March. If it's confirmed, the time-lapse videos are going to be epic.

Larger Version of Concept Pic (Spoilered for size):

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hdpf-MQM9vY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Prefab shouldn't count :p

3. Xerobull

I will refer you to the 'Best Rack' thread. :p

1 person likes this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What could possibly go wrong?

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So they have the ability to build a 220 story building in 3 months but work on I-10 west/east bound near midtown takes 3 years? Good job 'Merica!

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I know, why do Americans want benefits, fair salary, and fair labor hours. How dare they want those things!!!

7. Xerobull

I've been driving to Dallas for over 20 years and it seems like the same construction job has been going on the entire time in Conroe.

It really is a 'Murican trait that construction takes such vastly different time frames. Cut through the BS and bureaucracy and you can make crap happen quick. The Galveston Causeway was rebuilt in 18 months, and the Pierce Elevated downtown was rebuilt in a few months.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

**** heights!

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Honestly, I doubt even 80% of them are 'Mericans, and they work 24 hours a day and get **** done.

Also, when I try to pronounce your name it sounds like hawking a loog.

#9 LonghornFan, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I am assuming you are talking about me? Anyways if you are I am not trying to get into D&D style argument. Your last statement I take as disrespect, so to that I say Bless Your Heart.

1 person likes this.
  11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im building a 3000 square foot office...and its going to take them at least 90 days. :rolleyes:

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It won't be world's tallest for long.

Jeddah Tower will be the largest in the world, they're about ready to get construction going.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Royce?

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

no way.

I wonder if the bodies of people will be deposited in the structure like the great wall. :rolleyes:

16. SunsRocketsfan

i looked into this story a bit more . and the 90 days is a bit misleading.. apparently the company in charge of the construction has been assembling and constructing off site already. The 90 days just covers the time it takes to assemble all the modular parts together for the frame on site. I think the 90 days just refers to the frame and it will take a total of 220 days to do all the interior and make it usable. Still pretty damn impressive.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No.He's talking about ME. :eek: LonghornFan is like that. Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjosé, right, LF? :p

I'm in your country... taking yer jerbs... :cool:

18. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I think there's a video somewhere of that building falling.

19. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Chinese buildings definitely sacrifice quality and sturdiness over cost effectiveness and getting it done. It's dangerous and the poor are taken advantage of while rich tycoons gobble up and market inflated real estate (often ends up being vacant) and inflates GDP.

That being said, you have to respect and admire China's (not just China but other countries as well) ability to just execute and get something done. Likewise, this is still pushing the limit of a specific type of engineering. Two things Uh-merica has been lacking in from top to bottom for quite some time.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes, its using prefabrication panelize construction. Its pretty common in house construction in Europe and there are a handful of home builders in the US who use this. I helped one builder who put one up in 3 days. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYIAI7gwzE0