1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs Japan for the Diaoyu Islands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Schmidt, Sep 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

Not explicitly which is the cause of the problem. I refrain from citing wikipedia but I'm too lazy to dig for a better source:

2. jocar

jocar Member

The South China Sea is dotted with hundreds of largely uninhabited islands that have competing claims from China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan

" With the sole superpower in the world actually taking sides, territorial disputes in the South China and East China seas have quickly escalated into serious conflicts between Beijing and its concerned neighbors. Manila's politicians landed on a disputed island and renamed it. Vietnamese nationalists launched street demonstrations against China. Reportedly Vietnam conducted 106 invasions of China-claimed waters and islands last year to provoke Beijing. And now, Tokyo has "nationalized" the Diaoyu Islands to change the status quo unilaterally, which Beijing sees as a deliberate provocation, because the two countries agreed to shelve the dispute over the Diaoyus and keep the status quo when they normalized their diplomatic ties 40 years ago.
    It thus may not be too far-fetched to say that the East and South China seas might have remained calm without the US "mediation" to implement its Asia-pivot strategy."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/NI26Ad01.html

Looks like they're growin oversized balls with US naval presence because they expect US to help (Japan and Philippines especially- mutual defense treaties?). Just a little worried the Philippines (my parents home country) might start something that can't be stopped.

Stupid question... What would happen to US debts to China if we went to war?

3. Nook

Nook Member

Sure..... China attacks Japan and the USA will level 500,000,000 people within a week. While having a large population is nice, it does not mean much when you have a vastly inferior military....

4. Classic

Classic Member

5. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I support the Nips on this one.

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

7. jocar

jocar Member

"Pilots consider a carrier landing one of the hardest operations in all of flight."

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

If you do, how about you don't call the Japanese "Nips" then?

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

gwayneco inherited all his opinions and convictions directly from the establishment men of the 1950s. He hasn't felt any need to change them.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind the Independent Nation of Taiwan stepping up and taking control of these islands, but if China starts a fight with the Japanese they are going to get their asses handed to them.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure your racism is appreciated oh honorable gwaynecosan. :rolleyes:

12. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

What's wrong with Nips? It's just short for Nippon. The Nips are cool, and they're a damn sight better than the ChiComs.

13. rage

rage Member

Vietnam conducted 106 invasions of Chinese-claim water and islands last year?
    That' s a laugh. I don't know if they had 106 fishermen total who sailed their fishing vessels by!

14. rage

rage Member

The Chinese people are too easily duped.
    If VN had done that and China didn't dare to retaliate, it is indeed a coward.

15. rage

rage Member

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Jap is short for Japanese, but I would kick your ass if you called me that to my face. Same with Nips.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL wtf is Nips

Iunno why I laughed at that one

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. Prince

Prince Member

Keep bullying China.... because you're going to self-destruct soon.