1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China VS Japan, 1st Half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scotia, Sep 28, 2003.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Because he spent an 82 game season in the NBA prior to the current off season. Now he has had a chance to practice what he learned in the NBA in the Asian Championships. Why would anyone think he would not change?

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Very reasonable input. It makes good sense. I look forward to next week to see the new improved Yao Ming.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

crash beat me to the answer. One of the things Yao Ming espoused throughout last season was that his first couple of seasons will be learning seasons. Ones in which he gets acclimated to the NBA style of play. He said they will be periods of adjustment where he will learn, adjust, and adapt his style of play and his expectations. One of the first things he seems to be doing now is believing that dunking isn't so bad a thing after all. One more thing I noticed during his games last year was that when he tried backing people down, a lot of times he just rode them right into the paint and dunked on them or did some funky baby hook. He didn't really do this enough. I'm wondering if he'll do more of that this year.

I'm eager to see how much the strengthening of his upper body helps him in the post. Establishing the post is probably 80% leg-strength, but while his legs stayed rooted, his upper body kept flopping as people rammed their forearms into his back. He had a tough time establish position because of this. Hopefully the added upper body strength helps him. I wanna know!

Has his shot trajectory changed any? Yao's 7'5", but his release point was almost straight from his face out. Other 7 footers can easily swat that shot and easily did so last season. I wanna know!

Has Yao practiced the baby hook and the hook shot he displayed sporadically last year? I wanna know!

With the added upper body strength, has Yao lost his touch with the 18-20 foot jumper that we know he can shoot and hit? Will JVG use this ability to our advantage this year or will he shoot Yao if he leaves the paint for any reason other than to avoid a 3-sec violation? :) I wanna know!

I want to see how Yao has adjusted, what he's improved, what he's lost, what he's gained... the new and improved Yao Ming... sweet... I wanna see it!

4. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I think DoD's have a semi Yao orgasm.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yeah, three issues are of concern...

His abs/back/shoulder strength. That's why when people push him in the back with their forearm, they are able to make him "flop around." Sure, a lot is leg strength. But the rest is abs/back and shoulders.

Next, as you said, is his shot angle. He needs to shoot with a higher arc. He's 7'5" but because of the way he was shooting he was dropping his level down to about what a 6'9" would shoot like like. Add the fact that Yao doesn't have a high vertical and is NOT a quick leaper, this also affects his shot timing.

The last issue I've seen is the way that Yao rebounds. He needs to KEEP THE BALL ABOVE HIS HEAD!!! PLEASE!!!! I've seen times when he gets the ball in the post and lowers the ball down to his hips before he bring it up for the lay-up or dunk. All he's doing there is giving all the "short" guys an opportunity to slap the ball out of his hands.

Yao, you are a big guy. Play like one! Keep the ball up above your head! Even though it harder on the shoulders and stomach muscles.

The best offensive rebounders are KG and TD! Thoses guys should write a book on that subject! They never bring the ball down! Never!

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Huh?

:confused:

7. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_29-9-2003_pg2_16

China, South Korea remain unbeaten in Asian Basketball

HARBIN (China): China and South Korea remained unbeaten at the ongoing Asian Basketball Championships here Sunday, with NBA All Star center Yao Ming leading his Chinese side to victory over Japan, while South Korea’s NBA hopeful Ha Seung-Jin helped his side in a win over Kazakhstan.

Yao scored 26 points and had 21 rebounds as China beat Japan 88-60, with a stingy Japanese side holding the hosts under 100 points for the first time in the tournament. Also for the first time in the tournament China finally put its two NBA players on the floor at the same time, with Toronto Raptor Menk Batere coming in to score 17 points for the game. Yao, who plays for the NBA Houston Rockets was nearly unstoppable while he was in the game, but foul trouble limited his playing time to 27 minutes. China’s Li Nan was also instrumental scoring 24 points, while making five of nine three pointers. “Our plan was to let Yao Ming score and try to stop everyone else, but this Li Nan came in and really hurts us,” said Japan’s Croatian coach Zeljko Pavlicevic. “We were short of people as well, as two of our best players were injured and two other starters fouled out,” he said. Japan kept the game within striking distance for the first half and much of the third quarter but the absence of big center Fumihiko Aono and forward Tomoo Amino to injury finally paid its toll as China’s two big centers proved to be just too overwhelming. Guard Takuma Watanabe led Japan with 22 points, while sharpshooter Naoto Nakamura had 15.

China remained unbeaten with a record of six wins and no losses in the championships, a record matched by South Korea who Sunday dispatched a gritty team from Kazakhstan 99-88. After playing it close in the first half, South Korea pulled ahead for good mid-way through the third quarter on a series three pointers by Bang Sung-Yoon and some nifty breakaway lay-ups by Yang Hee-Seung. Eighteen-year old South Korean center Ha had 13 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes, the longest he has played in a game so far this tournament. The 2.20 meter (seven-foot-three-inch) center is touted to be a future NBA number one draft pick and the mainstay for South Korean basketball for years to come. Yang led South Korea with 25 points, while Bang had 15. Power forward Yevgeniy Issakov led Kazakhstan with 22 points, followed by Roman Muravyov and Sergey Vdovin both with 15 points each. In Tuesday’s semi-finals China will meet Qatar, who on Sunday beat Iran 72-64, while South Korea meets Lebanon, who beat India 117-82. —AFP

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You've got to love how he has turned it up for the Asian games.

You can see it in those pics..."Eye of the Tiger."

It's obvious that he was told to work on being more physical in the paint and throw it down big man, throw it down.

Based on so many of the pics showing defenders on the floor and Yao hanging on the rim, he was listening.

Eye of the Tiger.

9. Rob English

Rob English Member

Nice post, Dr of Dunk! I, too, am itching to know!!! :D

10. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

I believe we should have a caption game with this pic...

11. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I believe we should have a caption game with this pic...
    [/QUOTE]

YAO: B#TCH U BETTA HAVE MA MONEY:mad:

12. drago_ubc

drago_ubc Member

[​IMG]

I love this pic!!!

Japanese Player:"How about a five Yao?"

Yao:"How abuout I dunk on you."

13. dn1282

dn1282 Member

[​IMG]

Best picture EVER! But all I want to know is...which one was supposed to be guarding Yao? Is he even in the picture? Or did they just give up?

14. Rob English

Rob English Member

Looks like they gave up and decided to admire the view after the dunk fest Yao was putting on.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wow, great photos! "Throw it down, Yao, throw it down!" ;)

A total Yao Dunk-A-Thon. What I really love in those photos though are his expressions on his face! He looks REALLY intense. Would love to see that intenesity and "confidence" brough over to the Rockets this season. It will make a world of difference for his game.

Can't wait for the season to start. Thank God training camp is FINALLY here!!!

16. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

In the article posted by Matador, it says that Yao was limited to 27 minutes due to foul trouble. Great job Yao. He scores a bunch for his team and then gets some quick fouls so he can rest. I love it!! Just dont do it here for the Rockets!!:D

17. tuus

tuus Member

does that ex-nba center still playing for lebanon. what his name was ?????
    Rony Seikaly? Ron Seikaly?

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yao: "I hate what you did to MR. MIYAGI, Sato... Take this!"
    [if you saw Karate Kid part II, you know what I am talking about]