1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs. Australia NBATV Sunday 12 PM PACIFIC

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by code9x, Aug 1, 2004.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Australia is currently placed 7th in the FIBA World Ranking..... 6 places above China.

2. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

hell yeah!

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

historically yes, but right now ... not as good

personally i think they will be doing well to make the top8 at the Olympics

since the last Olympics we have had several older players retire... Longley, Gaze and Bradtke in particular

they are certainly not crap, but they are young and relatively inexpereinced at the international level... they are also small, with Bogut (plays at Uni of Utah (freshman last year) and will be a lotto pick when he comes out) at centre... think they made a mistkae not picking Schenshcer (from Georgia U) who is legitimate 7 footer... Heal, Maher and Rillie can shoot from range as can forward fat ass Ronaldson

Nielsen is improving rapidly and if the Nugs don't invite him to training camp and offer and contract the Rockets should at least invite him to training camp and have a look

anyone know where i can get a copy of the game to watch?

I am actually surprised Yao didn't score more... maybe a 50 pt game, they have nobody to stop someone of his size and ability....

4. 12345

12345 Member

Foul trouble stopped him. :D

5. SmeggySmeg

all 3 of them

6. ty185

ty185 Member

and I believe international matches only has 10 minutes per quarter :)

7. 12345

12345 Member

Yes, all three of them. :mrgreen:

Del Harris was just saving Yao for the end of the game.

http://www.eurobasket2005.com/diamond_ball/uploads/p04.pdf

Yao played 25 minutes. I'm sure he would've scored more if he played longer. ;)

8. 12345

12345 Member

That's true too. So Yao would've scored 50 if the game lasted longer. :D

9. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Hey SmeggySmeg, are you gonna put up a bittorrent for this on your site???

10. SmeggySmeg

:D

should be interesting to see how much Del plays him at the Olympics proper, especially in tight games...... be good to see him play big minutes and manage to stay out of foul trouble

11. 12345

12345 Member

It would be entertaining to watch Yao and Yi play the US Team. :D

12. SmeggySmeg

can anyone tell me how Kristic played and thoughts on him, he played for Serbia against China in China's first game?

13. HugeBlock

HugeBlock Member

KRSTIC 12pts, FG 4/11 , FT 4/7, REBs 7, TO 2, ST 4,BS 2,PF 3,FO 5

14. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Don't want to create a new thread (not sure this is ROX related or not?)

7-foot Chinese teen looks to be next Yao

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/08/01/bc.oly.china.thenextyao.ap/index.html

BELGRADE, Serbia and Montenegro (AP) -- First there was Yao. Now there is Yi.

The next big thing to come out of China is Yi Jianlian, a teenager nearly 7-feet tall who has already worked his way into the national team's starting lineup alongside Yao Ming.

"He's better than me at 16. He can jump," Yao said. "If he keeps working hard, he can make it big."

That potential has already been recognized by China coach Del Harris, an assistant with the NBA's Dallas Mavericks who was hired by Chinese sports authorities to help turn the team into a medal contender for the Athens Olympics.

Immediately recognizing Yi's potential, Harris decided that bringing him along slowly was not the way to go.

Yi did not start a single game last season for his Chinese Basketball Association team, the Guangdong Tigers, but he has been lining up alongside Yao -- and even jumping center for the opening tip -- in China's pre-Olympic exhibition games.

Yi had five blocked shots and seven rebounds in 24 minutes Saturday night during a 92-78 loss to Serbia and Montenegro in the DiamondBall Tournament, a warm-up to the Olympics featuring six teams that will compete in Athens.

"He's a great combo playing with Yao Ming. He's very quick and fast, very aggressive crashing the boards. He's unbelievable, and if he's 16 he's really unbelievable. I thought 21," said Serbian assistant coach Igor Kokoskov, who was an assistant to Larry Brown with the NBA champion Detroit Pistons last season. "He likes to play the game, that's obvious. I think he's unique."

Kokoskov and many of the Serbian players were shocked to hear that Yi is only 16, although his age is the subject of much global doubt and debate.

Many believe Yi (pronounced Ee) is actually older, and Yi has been sufficiently coy to fuel the skepticism.

"He's not 16. He's 17," Yao said with a playful smile.

No matter his true age (Yi's date of birth is listed as Oct 27, 1987), Yi will not become eligible for the NBA draft until 2006?- or even later if NBA commissioner David Stern is successful during upcoming collective bargaining talks in his efforts to raise the minimum age requirement to 19 or 20.

But whenever Yi becomes eligible, he won't last long on the draft board.

"First [overall] is an awfully big statement for anyone, but if he continues to improve at close to the rate that I've seen him improve in the three months I've been here, then he's definitely a lottery pick in terms of ability," Harris said. "When you're 7 feet and can run and jump like he can, when his body catches up with the rest of him it could be a really exciting thing."

Yi shot just 2-for-9 against Serbia and Montenegro, missing several wide-open jumpers from about 18 feet away. But his offensive shortcomings were easily overlooked by anyone with an appreciation for how active he was around the basket, fighting for rebounds and timing his shot-blocking attempts perfectly.

"There's nobody that he's exactly alike," Harris said. "He's got a similar athleticism as Stromile Swift, and he has some shot blocking ability somewhat like Marcus Camby. He's got a thin body like both of them, but he's got a big frame so that he could actually put on weight."

Said Predrag Drobnjak of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats: "I don't know how young he is, but he's pretty good. This is just a first impression. If he is 16, you cannot talk about him strength-wise. You have to wait until he's 20-something and has worked the weights."

Harris smiles with almost a paternal affection when speaking of Yi, the son of postal clerk parents who were team handball players in China's state-sponsored sports program.

The 64-year-old coach is in the process of circumnavigating the world with the Chinese team after being selected him from a list of 135 potential coaching candidates worldwide.

A long-standing relationship between the Mavericks and the Chinese basketball federation helped Harris get the job, and he has already picked up "a lot of words and phrases, particularly for basketball," while visiting more Chinese cities than he can remember.

He is struck by the country's confluence old and new, donkey-pulled carts sharing the roads with legions of cars and bicycles.

The infrastructure and architecture around Beijing is far beyond what he had imagined, and the treatment he has received leaves him gushing with appreciation.

"The kindness and goodness of the players, they won't let me pick up a bag. If I try to pick up anything, forget it," Harris said. "They have such respect for age, it puts me in a great position."

Just like the position in which Harris has placed Yi, a prospect nearly 50 years younger than the coach who has thrust him into the spotlight -- and the starting five -- for one of the world's most rapidly developing basketball programs.

15. pryuen

Photos of Yao Ming in the win over the Australian !!! :D :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pryuen

Photos of the wonder-kid, Yi Jianlian in this match fighting hard for his rebounds and block shots !!! :D :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

LOL! Uh. Yeah. Them :)

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao had several nice dunks on aggressive moves inside. One play particularly stands out: He filpped a pass to a wide open teammate under the basket and the latter missed an easy basket. Yao got the offensive board and slammed it home in one motion.

Yao also made some nifty passes out of double teams which resulted in 4 assists for him.

19. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Yao looks like a badass in this photo. Who said he had no mean streak?

20. 12345

12345 Member

It must be the shoes. :D