1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China - Here come the Rockets!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, Mar 6, 2003.

1. tariq

tariq Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230305023

Game notes
    League officials are talking to the Kings about playing two preseason games against the Houston Rockets in China. The games are tentatively set for Oct. 17 in Beijing and Oct. 19 in Shanghai. ``It's in the works, that's my understanding,'' said Jerry Reynolds, the Kings director of player personnel.

---

How many of you'll will be there in Beijing for the game?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Do they have a stadium that can hold 2 million. They'd probably fill it!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

oh. And that would be two losses. That would suck.

4. axmpo

axmpo Member

I may seem rude that you got little response, but the news has been all over Chinese BBS for two days already;)

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

From the Chron:

March 6, 2003, 1:00AM

Rockets summary

China bound?

The Rockets received additional reason to expect their plan to play exhibition games in China to work with a report from the Xinhau News Agency in Beijing that they would play the Kings in Beijing and Shanghai next October.

NBA and Rockets officials said the deal is not complete, but both said, as they have since June, that they believe details would be worked out in time for the Rockets to play in China next season.

"We're very excited about the prospect of playing games in China this year," Rockets president George Postolos said. "We have a very large fan base in China. We're looking forward to connecting with them. I can't imagine anything better than playing games there.

"The NBA's Beijing and Hong Kong offices have been leading the discussions with appropriate officials."

NBA spokesman Terry Lyons said Tuesday that talks are ongoing but not complete. Asked about the Rockets' interest in playing preseason games in China next season, NBA commissioner David Stern said last month that the league was close to agreements on several international games.

"We are getting close to finalizing and ultimately announcing that we will, in fact, play exhibition games in France, in Mexico, in Puerto Rico and in the People's Republic of China," Stern said.

"I'm very excited to play in my home," Rockets center Yao Ming said. "I think this is a game that Chinese fans have been waiting for for a long time."

Rockets forward Glen Rice, who has done an offseason basketball exhibition in Tokyo, said that experience made him look forward to playing overseas again.

"It will be nice to get an opportunity to go over there and experience a different culture," he said. "It would be fun. Playing in Tokyo was a lot of fun. The hospitality we received over there was unbelievable. And I imagine this would be the same or even more."

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he left the preseason schedule open early in October to allow recovery time for training camp after making the trip back.

"You learn to take what comes your way," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "I think it's very positive for basketball. I loved my visit there. I was very surprised at how modern and how nice it was there. The people were fantastic. I know there will be a great response."