1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China-Centric Pacific Conflict Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It’s so funny to me that so many cower to what Xi says. He and the country he is leading have more issues to worry about that the US - which is amazing because US leadership has done everything possible to shoot itself in the foot the last 25 years.

Xi gets to rattle his saber to appease the faux CCP simpleton’s in China and he has his footage of people with Chinese flags waiving for him to plaster over Eastern media - but that is basically all he got, and it doesn’t settle any of his problems or his countries problems other than appeasing their faux patriotic idiots in China, like the US President’s do when they want a bump in the polls.

The only thing I find sad is that the people for the USA making these important decisions do not understand the culture of China or Middle Eastern culture….. yet are applying Western thought to interpret how to handle the Middle East and China. I am not Chinese or even Chinese American. I have family in Hong Kong and MLC. Yet from bonding with them and listening to them over the years, it is obvious American leaders are ignorant. It is similar in Middle East, where American leadership has zero understanding of tribal culture or life. I learned much from my wife on it - yet we continue to do what is guaranteed to make the Middle East issues worse for us as a nation.

MadMax, Andre0087 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which is why western notions like a humanitarian ceasefire are pointless in the conflict with Hamas.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve dealt first hand with US leaders not understanding Chinese culture. I was part of a business organization to try to get more business between the cities of Minneapolis and Harbin in the NE of the PRC. Going into it I thought the problem would be much more on the PRC side instead it was in the Minneapolis side. I quit when I realized that the city of Minneapolis government didn’t know what they were doing and were undercutting my groups efforts.

As far as the meeting between Xi and Biden it sounds like it went as I expected. Nothing substantial and this was more of a step to reduce the tension between the two countries. Given all that is at stake in the World that is a good thing.

Nook likes this.
  5. basso

Supporting Member

6. adoo

adoo Member

basso, this former aide to Josh Howley has already shown that he is less-than-informed on China.

use a more informed source

7. basso

Supporting Member

well informed on US Military.

tinman likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

'From Bloomberg;

The heads of the world’s two largest economies met for over four hours on Wednesday on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Woodside, California, near SF.

[​IMG]

It wasn’t all consensus. China told the US that its territorial ambitions toward Taiwan are “unstoppable” and ordered Washington to stop arming the self-ruled island Beijing claims as its own. US officials pressed Chinese counterparts to discuss the conflict between Israel and Hamas with Iran.

Here are the biggest agreements:

1. Working Group on Narcotics
    The two countries will strengthen cooperation on counternarcotics efforts. China has agreed to crack down on shipments of fentanyl chemical ingredients and pill presses, which can bypass existing restrictions. Xi and Biden also agreed to coordinate policy and law enforcement action going forward.

The US said the work would “combat global illicit drug manufacturing and trafficking” on fentanyl.

2. Restore Top-Level Military Exchanges
    Washington and Beijing agreed to reinstate high-level military-to-military conversations — and the two leaders pledged they would maintain an open line of communication with one another as issues arose. Under the plan, regular consultations with Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin will resume — as will the China-US Defense Policy Coordination Talks and the China-US Military Maritime Consultative Agreement.

Officials said those changes should mean the return of meetings and telephone conversations between theater commanders, and reduce the chance of mistakes.

3. Dialogue on Artificial Intelligence
    The US and China agreed to a working group to open dialogue on artificial intelligence, with Washington highlighting the need for improved safeguards for the emerging technology.

4. Increase Air Travel Early Next Year
    The countries aim to boost the number of direct flights between their nations.

5. People-to-People Exchanges
    Both sides endorsed expanding educational, student, youth, cultural, sports and business exchanges.​

#68 adoo, Nov 16, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    rocketsjudoka and Amiga like this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

ill-informed on China, as he pointed a picture of Biden "begging" Xi for the meeting.

anyone who keeps up with current events knows that China needs this meeting a zillion times more than the US

Foreign investment in China goes negative for first time in decades

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@basso
    @Os Trigonum

11. tinman

Supporting Member

12. tinman

Supporting Member

@Space Ghost

Space Ghost likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It really is unacceptable at this point that the United States leaders in government are largely clueless about China and the Middle East. Furthermore, I am increasingly getting upset at the amount of Chinese Americans that are in business and try to explain or give context are labeled as anti- American traitors.

adoo and rocketsjudoka like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The entire situation with Israel and the Middle East is messed up.

Israel as a state shouldn't even be a country in the Middle East - but the West had to stick their snout into the situation 75 years ago and here we are. A lot of the current problems in that region can be traced back to really ignorant decisions we made in that region.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

the very definition of anti-zionism, and anti-semitism.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Okie dokie, whatever you say.

antisemitic
    adjective
    (also anti-Semitic, anti-semitic)

/ˌæn.ti.səˈmɪ.tɪk/

showing hatred for Jewish people, or unfair or cruel toward people because they are Jewish:
    The bishop was accused of making antisemitic remarks.
    Some people thought the play was anti-semitic.
    anti-Semitic propaganda

As far as being an anti-Zionist...... yeah, I think that it was a mistake to force the creation of the modern state of Israel 70 years ago. I think it has unnecessarily caused a lot of political and social problems for the United States and has caused the United States problems in the Middle East.

I guess you could call me a bigot against Sumerians as well - as I don't think it would be a good idea to carve a part of the Middle East out where existing people live and gift it to the descendants of the Sumerians. At least at that point Israel wouldn't be the only apartheid country... we would have Sumer as well.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The White Nationalist SCWs mantra ... Love the Country; Hate the People ... does run counter to this.

18. basso

Supporting Member

please provide a definition of apartheid, and note how Israel meets that deinifition.

TYSVFMIA.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Heck I’ve been labeled that here in Clutchfans D&D.

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Those are all good especially resuming direct military communication. With high tensions the last thing we need is an accident or some misunderstanding on the part of each military leading to a war.

Overall I don’t expect much big changes. Both sides reiterated their positions on Taiwan and other PRC ambitions. I doubt they will find common ground on those. The PRC will continue to be at least a strategic rival.