1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China captain punished for attack

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by dexkk, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

Dunno if this was posted already. Lock if posted.

BEIJING -- China captain Liu Wei has been fined and suspended by the country's national association for his part in a postgame confrontation with former NBA forward Gabe Muoneke.

Muoneke, who played for Houston, Charlotte and Utah, wasn't injured in the Nov. 28 incident following a game between his Yunnan Running Bulls and Liu's Shanghai Sharks, according to the Chinese Basketball Association's Web site.

Liu is best known for his partnership with Yao Ming, the Houston Rockets star and his former Sharks teammate. The pair were the core of the team that made it to the quarterfinals at the Beijing Olympics in August.

Cai Liang and Muoneke had clashed on court as they wrestled for the ball. Cai, Liu and other members of the Sharks confronted Muoneke as he was leaving the stadium with his wife, three children and mother-in-law, the association said.

Muoneke was hit by a water bottle, chased into a corner, and surrounded by Sharks players. The incident was captured on security cameras, and the footage was reviewed by the league.

"The incident was abominable and serious in nature, casting a terrible influence over society and seriously harming the CBA's brand and reputation," the CBA said in a statement.

Liu and teammate Cai each must pay a $7,300 fine and serve a 10-game suspension. Their team was fined $14,600, the association said.

The strong response appears to reflect efforts to reform the ailing league. In recent months, the CBA has partnered with the NBA on venue management and recently ordered teams to reveal their players' true ages to end the common practice of under-reporting ages to keep players eligible for youth tournaments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3746883

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I'm having a hard time imagining 5 well paid pros attacking another in front of his wife and kids. Thank God all they threw was a water bottle... lmao

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's disgraceful, really. I think 10 games is too light for these guys.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

a water bottle are you serious? was it a pellegrino at least?

5. dexkk

dexkk Member

Do you guys remember Gabe Muoneke? I didn't even know he was playing in China.

6. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

criminal and cowardly

it's one thing to wrestle on court but to confront his family off court...in the western world...what liu wei did would amount to intimidation...i hope they can his ass...

7. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Lame. Why does it have to be 5-on-1 when it comes to Asians? haha jk.

At least it was a waterbottle though. Wouldn't look good if it was a scene from Young and Dangerous where they chase each other with machetes in the streets.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]
    <BR>
    Gotta watch out for those Sharks -- that's a badass gang.<BR>
    <BR>

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

pretty biased report thou it was official.
    However I heard a slightly different story from one of my mate whos working for the accounting department for the sharks.

It all started from Muoneke's trash talking on the court, words were exchanged for sure. but after the game Muoneke started making supposedly racist comments on one of the young player who was guarding him on the court. Liu Wei, being the captain stood up for him --- then Muoneke's wife joined the arguement, thats the key here.

Its still a one-sided story but Im not gonna debate about it.

11. JVG>Adelman

JVG>Adelman Member

If this is true, there's no defending these Chinese players. That's beyond any reasonable response.

It's scary to think that these players approached him, and his family outside the stadium. What were they thinking?? r****ded, and they should be severely punished.

12. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

sorry, but this sounds like BS

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Ive made clear enough.
    Its one of those side stories I heard.

14. JVG>Adelman

JVG>Adelman Member

What sounds like BS? That an American basketball player would curse out a Chinese player, and even call him racist names?

Are you naive?

Shaq said "Ching chong" to Yao Ming. I'm sure that Yao Ming even today, hears racist comments from both white and black NBA players.

America is a racially tense country, and racism abounds everywhere.

These Chinese players, were probably unaccustomed to hearing Racial slurs, and this is why they were greatly offended, and in my opinion, greatly overreacted.

Despite this, it doesn't excuse them one bit for approaching a player outside the stadium, especially with his wife and kids. That's CRAZY.

15. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

Muouneke making racist remarks when he's surrounded by 1.5 billion chinese? i doubt it

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought Gabe to be somewhat of a jack@$$.

That said,there is no way in hell to excuse what these guys did.Postgame and with his family and kids......

I say the punishment isn't strong enough......

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thats being racist, plz stop spilling such non-sense.

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

How would Gabe be around them to be making these racist comments if Liu Wei and the other players hadn't confronted them after the game?

Fail.

19. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

How is that being racist?

You're an idiot.

That's not me being racist. It's just me acknowledging the fact you are of sub-par intelligence.

20. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

no it's not racist...it's called using common sense...why would he want to inflame chinese people if most of his team mates are indeed chinese?