1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China Bans Tiananmen Square Video during Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by richirich, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cson

cson Contributing Member

Will GnR release album final?

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

One time I was on my way to the bathroom and I **** my pants. That doesn't mean my legs won the war. My ******* did. I don't even know what that means.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree with this to an extent. The bombs were an effort to keep from having to completely invade the Japanese home islands. At the time Japan's expansionist might was already thwarted and the nuclear mission was launched from former Japanese territory. If Japan had managed to hold onto vast swaths of Chinese territory they might've had access to the natural resources they desperately needed to fuel their war machine. Even with nukes the US might never have been able to get close enough to Japan to drop nukes.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether Taiwan is far away or not the nature of the threat is different along with the nature of the relationship between Taiwan and the PRC. As another Chinese poster pointed out earlier in the thread it is unlikely that the PRC will ever launch a military strike on Taiwan for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it will end up being a devestatating war for all parties and most of Asia, but also that the economic and cultural ties are too strong precluding that.

As I said before it is a ridiculous comparison.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Or it meant your brain lost the war, or simply failed.

Chinese people fought that war for 8 long years and sacrificed millions and millions of lives. Nationalists or Communists, they are all Chinese people. But those lives weren't lost in vain, they took many many Japanese invaders with them. With Chinese resistance, and fights everywhere else in Asia, Japanese troops were super stretched. US did play a huge role after Pearl Harbor, and US pilots and weapons also helped Chinese people. But without Chinese fighting, Japanese won't surrender to 2 bombs. To claim those 2 bombs won the war alone, is very disrespectful to many brave soldiers from US, UK, Russia, China, and other Asian countries. Similarly, without Russians, Nazi Germany would be defeated much more difficultly.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I was baiting and then later kidding. I am fairly ignorant about the Japanese side of WWII. Get it, "bait"-ing.

7. clutch11

clutch11 Member

No, China will not launch a strike on Taiwan, Taiwan will not launch a military strike on China either. There is always a third party who is very interested in a conflict between mainland China and Taiwan.

For Chinese people, they will feel more secure if the PLA can install some missiles in Cuba. Will US allow China to do this? :D

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Japan was walking all over China, the Chinese national army was getting creamed and was running for their lives.

If it werent for US volunteers like the Flying Tigers going over to help stem the tide, China may very well have surrendered completely.

The Chinese in WW2 were a very minor player in the overall outcome.

DD

9. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I'll venture to say that competitive news reporting without enough accountability actually impairs the fairness and accuracy, in certain situations.

Competitiveness pressures the news outlets to report on "events", and not to be left out, even when they don't have enough resources, access, expertise to sufficiently cover the news in fairness and with accuracy. So, they rely more on obscure sources, bits of information, and picking up what other news outlets are covering.

This is less of a problem in terms of domestic news in the U.S., since they are subject to intense scrutinizing and often hold accountable if information is misrepresented by either direct pretesting or lost of viewers. It's more of a problem in foreign coverages since not many people are actually interested enough beyond knowing the reported to hold them accountable.

It's called herding. The same way stock analysts may herd under competitive pressure when accountability is not there.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Huh?

China has oil? Because that is what the Japanese needed the most, oil and steel.....

And we didn't bomb Japan from China, we Island hopped our way through the pacific, WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE CHINESE !!!

Look, I am not anti-PNR...I just find it interesting....but let's not overstate China's role in WW2....they were hardly a factor at all......

Mostly they were getting hammered by the Japanese......

Sure they lost 2,000,000 people but they were far from being a military power.

China a bit player in WW2

DD

11. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Chinese national army sucks. That's why they were replaced by CCP's army.

Never underestimate People's Power. :D

12. real_egal

Your were right that Chinese were hammered by Japanese invaders during WWII. But you have to realize that China gave up lots of the land in the beginning of that 8 years, and not so much after 4 years any more. Japanese were stretched so thin that they couldn't support at all. In the last year in China, many Japanese soldiers were 14, 15 year-old without sufficient weaponry, and they were in turn hammered by the Allies, including Chinese.

Chinese lost 30 million lives during that war, even they took Japanese by 50:1 ratio, that's still 600K Japanese soldiers they took. US fought Japanese mainly in the air and on the sea in the beginning. What happened to those ground troops older than 15 years?

China was very weak at the time, but Chinese army, especially the nationalists sacrificed a lot and fought hard for their own country. As big as China was, Japanese couldn't occupy the country while spreading troops in the rest of Asia. To say US won the WWII alone is not very serious towards the history.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Alone? Who said it was alone? I am saying the Chinese were an insignificant ally, behind the Russians, Brits, Aussies, and even the Free French.

If it were not for the supplies brought in through the Burma road and over the mountains China would have been in even more trouble.

Yes, China was VERY weak, that is exactly my point.

Agreed that the Japanese having to occupy large chunks hurt their ability to defend the Islands we took, but for the most part the pacific war was 2 major participants, the USA and Japan...the rest were just ancillary to the outcome in that theater of war.

DD

14. real_egal

China didn't do anything to Nazi Germany, but for you to say that Chinese did less or achieved less in WWII against Japanese than Russian, Brits, and Aussies, you need to provide some facts to support this new claim. How many Japanese troops have the Aussies and Brits faced?

No matter how extremely weak Chinese army were at the time, in the last 2, 3 years of the war, not only did they withstood Japanese offensive they actually went on offensive and were winning, in their own land. In the land of China, when Chinese army drove Japanese to retreat from village to village, city to city, where Japan deployed the MOST troops, they were doing a lot more THAN Brits and Aussies and Russians, and EVEN French.

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

How did VSpan/Gundy show up in this thread?

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The problem is you're arguing as if the U.S. and China are 'equals' on the international scene. They're not!

The United States of America is a global empire, in fact, the world's only one, while China is a rising regional power that's mostly 'contained' within its own sphere of influence. The United States, at any moment's notice, can deploy its forces to any corner of the world. We can project our power far beyond anything anyone has ever dreamed possible, and inflict massive destruction on our enemies (although we do exercise 'self-restraint' from time to time, but always reserve the right to do so). We designed and sustained the present world order when no one else could, and we built a complex network of allies and client states/actors that enable us to pursue our interests and ensure our security far beyond our shores. Clearly, China aspires to be there 'one day', but that's still far away from being a reality. For one, they will have a hard time 'dominating' their own region with India, Japan and Russia on their doorsteps -- all relevant military/economic powers in their own right. The U.S. had the luxury of dominating its own geographical sphere and the enormous power 'vacuum' that was created for us -- and by us, in large part -- after World War II. I don't foresee China having that luxury moving forward.

Just thought I would clarify...

17. real_egal

What you said about US is true, and what said about Chinese situation is true as well; however, you did get one very important aspect wrong - China aspires to be there "one day". It's your assumption, and the long Chinese history disagrees with you. With overwhelmingly majority of Han Chinese, Chinese philosophy is always "small countries, isolated people, never interact with each other". It translates to plain language - I mind my business, you mind yours, we leave each other alone. But when you start to mind my business and force me with your ways, you probably shouldn't expect me to roll over and obey.

While US using its mighty around the world, as the picture you presented, I don't think anyone can stop that now. However, if you think that power and the way US is exercising its power, give your some moral high ground to lecture others, it's probably just a feel-good story for yourself. You can beat the crap out of others, injure yourself more or less depending on the opponents, but you can't force others to agree with you from heart that you are right others are wrong. That's actually what's happening in D & D.

18. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Yes, but China is only seeking "equals", not "dominating", and I don't think the US can deploy its forces to any corner of the world. :D

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

China was very lucky they deployed them in there during WW2.....and supplied them with weapons to fight the Japanese.

DD

20. LouisianaRocket

United States isn't looking to Dominate nothing.