1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China Bans Tiananmen Square Video during Olympics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by richirich, Mar 21, 2008.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Signed East Berlin, Poland, Hungary, Romania, et al.

2. LouisianaRocket

it's different though, our propaganda involves just a t.v. commercial, and few press speeches.

China's propaganda involves "Crushing Protesters".

3. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

That's typical brainwashed statement. :D Free press does not guarantee you will not be brainwashed. If every press that you normally look at says the same thing about something you don't really care a lot about, will you take your time to get those factual information and see if the press is telling the truth? Then if you are asked about it, you will give the answer that is in the press. The actual effect is that you are being brainwashed.

4. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

was talking about china mainly. i don't know what happened in the rest of the world. no system is perfect, but as long as the government is working for the people then it's a good government. of course, there are set backs along the way. so does other types of government.

5. yuantian

ya, totally agree. i don't see how free press means you won't be brain washed. more like you are brainwashed and think you are not.

6. yuantian

go listen to some dead prez song. it's one of the hidden tracks in let's get free album. it's about cnn, abc, "free press".

7. clutch11

clutch11 Member

I think westen countries should boycott Beijing Olympic games, but they dare not do it. :D

Boycotting by westen countries is really an opportunity for China or Russia to overtake the record that US set in LA 1984.

83+1 golden medals in a single OG is unthinkable without a boycott.

8. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Also, Dalai clan may carry out salin gas attacks against Beijing. The US should consider boycotting for the sake of their athletes' own safety. China can't protect anybody now.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stuff like this makes me sad. Even though I will be hard on the PRC I am proud that they got the Olympics and think this is an important thing for the PRC and Chinese everywhere. The problem is though stuff like this just makes the PRC seem petty and paranoid and rather than showcasing how great of a nation it is shows how far it still has to go.

IMO the PRC is at a crossroads in regard to its development. Its certainly become an economic power and is rapidly becoming a military and diplomatic power. To take the next step to truly become a great nation it needs some major political reform. Single party rule where power is centralized will eventually hamper the PRC's development as it is too unwieldy to control an entity that large and that complex. As even many of the Chinese posters have noted that economic disparities throughout the country are starting to cause strains to the social fabric. While economic development is bound to be uneven I would attribute part of the problem to to the difficulty of centralized power more interested in looking at the country as a whole than considering the differences between say Sichuan vs Shanghai. At the same time for the PRC. Taiwan will never voluntarily join the PRC as long as the PRC is a single party state. The new Taiwanese president who even though he is considered much more pro-PRC than Chen Tsui-Bien has said as much.

In addition to the decentralizing power and moving away from a single party the PRC also needs to take the next step towards tolerating more dissent. For any orginization to develop there requires some level of diversity of thought and a ferment of ideas. In a situation where everyone is reduced to yes men more innovative ideas are lost and thinking gradually becomes ossified. If anything the Chinese should be familiar with this as the downfall of dynasties has often been attributed to the greater and greater separation of the power structure from the people to where it becomes isolated and unable to adapt to changing situations. In the case of the CCP where dissent is inevitably viewed as being a threat to be crushed that is bound to eventually catch up with them.

So like I've said in the Tibet threads far from wanting to see the PRC destroyed I think the PRC can still be greater but to get there it needs to change.

10. yuantian

i agree for most part. changes have to be made. i think every government, including democratic ones, need to change constantly to adjust to the ever changing world. but i don't think there ever should be rapid/radical changes. PRC is doing it's best to change, however slowly. i do wish some of the changes they made should be more publicized. most people think there are no changes there at all, which is not true. i think everyone in the west want immediate change right now. and they don't really care about the consequences. in reality, comparing today and when i was a kid, i feel a lot of changes have been made.

11. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Will Saddam's IRAQ voluntarily join the USA? :D

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If PRC militarily invades Taiwan, we have global thermonuclear war. Do you really want that?

13. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Do you believe PRC militarily will ever attack Taiwan?

I don't.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Do you seriously believe that the situation between Iraq and the US is comparable to situation between Taiwan and the PRC?

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I misunderstood. To me, that seems to be what you are threatening by likening Iraq with Taiwan.

16. clutch11

clutch11 Member

YES, but China is likely to seek solutions other than using militarily force.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I am aware that the PRC is making changes, such as allowing multi candidate elections on the local level, and apologize for giving the impression that no changes are being made. The problem that I see is that the pace of political reform might not be able to keep up with the pace of events changing not just in the PRC but in the world. I understand that the CCP wants a go slow approach as they greatly fear chaos breaking out but they are faced with events where such an approach might not work. Again I think the Tibet situation is one where depending on what happens things could go very badly for not just the Tibetans but for the PRC given what is at stake with the Olympics. As I've said before the PRC has a chance to peacefully resolve this situation in a way that would silence foreign critics.

Even besides Tibet there are several issues where problems could spin rapidly out of control dealing with the environment, wealth inequality and political power for poorer regions.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Its still a ridiculous comparison.

19. LouisianaRocket

well, just for your information. They have MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY SOURCES of information. So, I guess any media brainwashes people? I think YOUR statement is a typical brainwashed statement. :rolleyes:

20. LouisianaRocket

so, a group of rappers who are anti-America is the best example you can come up with... laughable

Just wow, Dead Prez? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah