1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China Bans Lebron Ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

BEIJING (AP) - China has banned a Nike television commercial showing NBA star LeBron James fighting a cartoon kung fu master, saying it insults national dignity.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3222308

Thoughts?

2. olliez

olliez Member

yeah, it's a pretty dumb ad.

A bit low taste even for my standard...

3. Dubious

Dubious Member

Dignity? in advertising?

Right.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I love those ads. I can see where their argument is coming from, but you didn't see us complain when Jackie Chan whoops up the entire Bronx in one of his movies or when Bruce Lee beats Kareem.

5. Ender120

Ender120 Member

I may not think that it's that big a deal, but I can definitely see where China is coming from.

The ad shows Lebron overcoming some Chinese people and their national symbol.

Lebron may not have anything against the Chinese personally, but if China has laws against this kind of material, then that's how it is.

Y'all wouldn't like it if some foreigner made a commercial in which he beats Uncle Sam, two obviously American women (supply whatever characteristics you want), and a bald eagle.

Who really cares anyway?

Not like he needs more money.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Uncle Sam is not the same as a cliche Kung Fu master from a martial arts movie. It's more like watching a foreigner beat a cowboy or something. They are definately blowing it out of proportion.

7. JeffB

JeffB Member

It's all about state control:

I hope this doesn't give the FCC anymore bright ideas... ;)

8. Ender120

Ender120 Member

You're right, I just couldn't think of any cliche American characters.

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

JeffB;

I think you're probably onto something. I've seen plenty of stuff from the PRC and especially Hong Kong that is far, tackier and tasteless than this. True this is an American ad riffing on Hong Kong Martial Arts cliches but that didn't stop movies like "Big Trouble in Little China" from being shown which IMO is in much poorer taste.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Offensive? No those ads are in fact awesome.

Not as awesome as Kareem Abdul Jabbar fighting Bruce Lee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But awesome nonetheless.

Seriously does anybody think that LeBron as a potential marketing threat to Yao both at home and abroad may have had something to do with the decision? :confused:

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Got to love censorship.

13. calurker

calurker Member

I read somewhere that people in Singapore are also ticked off by it and asked for the commercial to be banned.

14. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

China bans LeBron's Nike commercial as insult to national dignity

Anyone agreed and feel any difference?? What is your opinion? Try to identify your race if you can when you give your opinion....

To me...and because I am Chinese...my first impression of the commericial was ONE WORD: STUPID!! Really, i really think that commercial is stupid for someone like LeBron to try to act like he knows some kung fu and shyt ....beating up a Kung Fu master and get the girls...it's really insulting. Now, i have no problem IF Lebron actually knows kung fu...then it's appropriate for him to do it ...but man, the guy IS A BASKETBALL PLAYER..it has NOTHING to do with kung fu...period!! This is not just the Lebron commerical..there are other commericals that i seen on TV like...a McDonald or some kind of food commercial where they also use the idea of kung fu-ness which totally unrelated to food. Sometimes it seems funny and cool, sometimes it can get out of hand and can be insulting with the imitation of sounds, ect.. See, this is where it is dangerous because i bet a lot of Westerners don't know jack about the Chinese culture and so for them to put kung fu stuffs on tv is kind of insulting.

I don't have as much of a problem with those commercials as the LeBron commercial...and this is especially true since Yao is also playing in the league and for Lebron to try to act out like he knows kung-fu and shyt is an insult to Yao in the eyes of Yao's fans. WHY??? Because LeBron is trying to draw fans and be popular like Yao...that's how I see it and that's probably how the Chinese governement see it. Just think about it: Chinese has a national treasure in Yao and then seeing LeBron commerical with him doing kung fu...ect...what kind of message do you think the government think Nike is trying to send??? HUh??? Pathetic!!!

15. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

The commercial sucks, but the Chinese government is overreacting if they think it is an insult.

16. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Member

:confused: Acting, maybe? We all know... or assume atleast that LeBron isn't proficient in Kung-Fu...

So... Uma Thurman shouldn't have been in Kill-Bill cause she hasn't actually trained for years dedicating her life to martial arts or something?

Wasn't the theme of the commercial just overcoming adversity and challenges faced when starting out on a new journey (his NBA career) and such... which he has had to do... kind of like when one trains in martial arts it's kind of looked at as like a process of spiritual growth of one's soul, strength and abilities....?

17. clove

clove Member

I am Chinese, and I liked the commercial. I did not see anything I consider insulting. I thought the shanghai skyline at the last chamber was creative.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Hey reppy. I'm the man, and I think this website might be right up your alley:

ninja

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

I think the sad thing is that this might be Nike's attempt to improve their Chinese market now that Yao sign with Reebok. If you look at the commercials, if almost looks like your typical chinese RPG, except the main character is Lebron. Also, they must've gotten Chinese or people that know a little bit about Chinese culture to do the commercial cause the Chinese words that are on it fit very well with the story in the commercial. It would've been perfectly fine if it was Yao doing the commercial and would received very positively but it's not since Lebron aint Chinese.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Does anybody care?