1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China backs down under fear of american retributions and Olympics boycott

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 11, 2019.

1. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

in case of you don't know , most of chinese cheer for 911 in 2001,even today .a part of chinese still make fun of 911
    [​IMG]

malakas, clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

in all honesty though, life sure would be a lot easier having only a single source of fake news, rather than having a choice.

heypartner likes this.
  3. Miracle

Miracle Member

Note that the report here is mostly about the back down of media escalation, but not the ban itself. These are very different.

They might emphasize things similar to other apologies, such as "Hong Kong is part of China" and "One China principle" -- which are the core values and the bottom line of both the government and the people -- while keeping silent on further discussions. I don't know what the US's opinion is on such a reply though.

#63 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey won in the end. I'm glad we called China's bluff

AroundTheWorld, malakas and topfive like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yes, I do. That's what this whole thing was about. The Chinese government cares a WHOLE lot.

Unless you're talking about the good Chinese people.. if they don't care what others say.. bravo to them. I say do your own thing people of China. But govern yourselves.

malakas likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Chinese government threatened to ban airline companies for listing Taiwan on their website or accepting Taiwan's dollar. They banned South Park completely after an episode critical of Chinese censorship. They even censored Winnie the Pooh! Were they just responding to the people's anger there too?

Losing their minds over Morey's tweet, on a platform completely banned in China no less, is totally in their wheelhouse. Of course they care. But sure, let's pretend they can only operate for the greater good.

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.

China significantly overestimated their leverage and are walking it back now.

Mazulis and malakas like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd be surprised if the ban still holds past this month and going into the regular season. That's not de-escalation at all. It will be China ending its relationship with a huge and very popular American business and would only escalate the trade war.

Also again, they got what they wanted from the NBA, no one is going to talk about it.

That's not a sincere apology if you are telling people what to say.

If that's what they want, which I suspect is true, then they won't get it at this point. Not from the NBA. The more they push American businesses on this issue the more they will find push back. It is slowly but surely becoming bad for business here in America to submit to China's desires and with a lot of other businesses I think the cats out of the bag, for Blizzard and such.

It can be salvaged with the NBA because people in both countries just want to watch Basketball and I think a lot of people on both sides want it to just go away to enjoy the games.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nah. Many news outlets lets the more intelligent among us find the truth, even if it takes some work. With one news source, you have to just pray that you're getting something close to the truth, which isn't very likely.

malakas and clutchdabear like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Of course that's what the Chinese government wants. The apologies it gets within China are undoubtedly absolute. Or else.

#70 topfive, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Good to hear we can move on before the season starts.
    Hopefully it didn't weaken the already fragile relationship between Morey and Tilman.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I have no doubt that the NBA manipulates the outcome of games on the margins by controlling who does and does not officiate games, by having the head of referees talk to the referees before games and emphasizing particular things to look out for.

That does not mean a smaller market team cannot win, only that they better be more than 5-7 points better than the favored team.

The best example was the Pistons over the Lakers in the finals with Kobe. The Lakers laid down and the Pistons were more than 5-7 points better as a result. On the other hand, look at the Kings vs. Lakers. At least one of those WCF the Kings were marginally the better team, but it wasn't enough to overcome biased officiating.

The league appears smart about it, not directly telling refs to favor one team.... rather they do it institutionally and the refs that follow course get better assignments and possible advancement.

Miracle, malakas and clutchdabear like this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

China government did care about negative comments otherwise they won’t order their own medias to shut up once they realize the NBA will not back down.

The real fear is not about any economic losses, the real fear is about more and more people talk about it, the fear about the spotlight on anything which they can not control the info, the media.

do you know what democracy and freedom of speech are all about?

One sided voice will never help people to understand the truth, that’s why we have Fox and CNN both exist and many others.

the Chinese government is so afraid to allow different kind of voices and let the people to learn and think by themselves.

that’s the main issue.

any rational human being will learn and compares, even though they maybe as ignorant as you from the beginning, but once they will find out they have been lied for all this time, you can imagine the anger and resistance after that.

this is the fear that the Chinese government will always have.

that’s exactly the history of the last 5000 years in China, every new powers were coming from revolutions.

14. mockster

mockster Member

sure about that?, because to me it looks like China made everybody apologize and majority of NBA was to scared to say anything. Looks more like they flexed on us and showed power.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Umm.....my comment was a thinly veiled slam on the state of news today. I really should make satirical comments more obvious. Sorry.

topfive likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Like most of us, my satire detector is working overtime this week and might be a bit flaky. ;)

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is all so transparent......

The CCP does terrible things that it hides from it's people.

The CCP knows if the rest of the world knows what they are doing, there can be repercussions.

Someone (in this case Daryl Morey) points out or alludes to China doing something terrible.

CCP attempts to blackball whoever points out the terrible thing China did to keep others from speaking out.

CCP's over reaction actually causes people to investigate what China is doing and people are horrified.

CCP realizes that in this case blackballing actually made the world look more into the terrible things they do.

CCP backs off hoping it all goes away so they can continue to strangle Hong Kong, attempt to add Taiwan, continue their long term gain to take areas in the sea........ to force millions of people in China to acculturate to the CCP, continue to pollute their own lands and violate treaties.

CCP back to business as usual and hope that the USA and the West are lulled back to sleep.

18. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

But it lasted less than a week. Basically, they couldn't or didn't want to sustain what they were doing out of their own interest.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Chinese government wasn't involved?

[​IMG]

malakas and clutchdabear like this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Lots of Chinese fans pretending censorship isn't a thing there.

malakas, clutchdabear and Nook like this.