1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China attacks freedom of speech by attempting to censor American-hosted content

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/t...o-attack-github-by-diverting-web-traffic.html

Absolutely vile.

Discuss.

And if you feel adequately disgusted:

https://en.greatfire.org/invest-against-censorship

Github itself:

https://github.com/

Technical details on the attack for those interested:

http://www.netresec.com/?page=Blog&month=2015-03&post=China's-Man-on-the-Side-Attack-on-GitHub

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Xi Jiping Administration has been tightening up on cultural issues more than previous Chinese leaders. They've been cracking down on things like the Big Bang Theory to dancing grannies (large groups of elderly women who like to dance in public squares). It's no surprise that they've been cracking down on the internet. The Great Firewall though is nothing new and has been in the PRC pretty much since the beginning of the internet there.

3. Northside Storm

This is the first time the Great Wall has been so transparently weaponized to ATTACK American-hosted websites.

This case is drastically different. A DDOS attack means that an American company (Github) has to undergo increased server costs because a foreign government wants them to censor content.

Github is so critical to Internet infrastructure (almost all modern websites use Bower or NPM or some variant of Github frameworks) that it going down even intermittently (which has happened because of this in specific regions) could be disastrous. It's why China still hasn't had the balls to ban Github entirely--because it's so vital to their domestic software industry.

Let me reframe the discussion: what would you think if China sent a bunch of unwitting civilians in to trash Boeing planes on American soil?

The equivalent just happened on the Internet.

#3 Northside Storm, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying it's a good thing just that it's not surprising.

The Chinese have been engaging in cyber warfare for years with attacks on US business and government sites. It's to be expected that given Xi's concern over cultural issues they would expand that to sites that allow Chinese to access material that the CCP deems unChinese. Fully disagree with it but the question comes is what should be the response back? SHould the US take this up with the WTO as a violation of commercial sovereignty? That could open up a lot of can of worms regarding foreign sites that host content in violation of US copyrights? Should hackers attack the PRC back? I'm guessing that is already happening.

I don't agree with this at all but I don't think this is a major issue or one with any good solution to address it.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So when we visit China this summer we won't be able to access google or even a clutchfan forum like this?

6. VanityHalfBlack

;)[​IMG]

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Don't understand what you are saying. I need to use a vpn? Not really that up on how to use one?

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Proxies are not reliable and very slow. I leave a desktop on and access it remotely with TeamViewer when I am in china.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

proxy is your friend.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

China is not America there laws and rules are there's does it make it right nope but they have to live by there laws and rules.

11. Northside Storm

You don't think a cyberattack on an American company meant to suppress freedom of speech is a major issue? :confused:

#11 Northside Storm, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  12. Northside Storm

Why is China enforcing their "laws" with malicious code and DDOS attacks on American companies?

13. Northside Storm

You can access Google through VPN. I doubt Clutchfans is banned.

You can check what is banned and what isn't on https://en.greatfire.org/

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

simple it's china they feel they can get away with doing this do i think it's right hell no until there is someone that steps up to the plate they will keep doing it.

15. Northside Storm

Github mitigated the attack by displaying a popup that highlighted the presence of malicious code on every page tagged with the (sloppily-written) malicious analytics script, which makes anybody with a Baidu-supported site think twice.

Here are the facts:

1) China's government was stumped by an organization with 300 employees--though I'm sure the server costs they went through were significant, the fact is Github is coming out of this with flying colours in terms of website uptime.

2) China's government tried to ban Github altogether but couldn't do it. Innovation on the web still relies on the openness they despise.

3) China's government is willing to sabotage its own tech sector for very stupid Pyrrhic defeats.

If they feel like they can "get away with this", there's going to be a lot of egg on China's face--and a lot less entrepreneurs and engineers.

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

It seems like they constantly change what they block over there.

Do yourself a favor and buy a paid vpn for a month. I've found the free ones to be frustratingly unreliable.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Northside Storm

i used to use ExpressVPN on my phone and it worked fine and dandy, though I admit that it's possible the CCP has been more aggressive about proxies lately.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is the NYT just trying to make itself look cool because someone in China bum rushed at proxy site for the NYT?:eek:

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He seems to be a Soccer fan and that is the only thing that might improve.