1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Children Today: Soft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Hmm

Hmm Member

And, why are todays kids such obese, indoor dwelling, pill poppers... before the age of 12?

Soft parents and an instrusive government that really doesn't know when to mind it's own damn business and when to intervene...

You guys already covered the physical stuff.. and the 'lawful' repurcussions..

But, what bugs me... Are teachers taking parents, of a child they can't deal with, to the side and saying, "Little Johnny just can't seem to pay attention in my class or do as I say. yes, telling him to do what I say, is the best I could do and best I could try so... I think it's time to psychologically evaluate him, could be ADD or worse. Which is what I'll exactly share with the child psychologist. With full disclosure of my personal experiences with the child, from my one sided, impatient I'm-an-educated-teacher-on-meek-wages- adult-and-he's-a-mere-child , hubristic perspective, and snappy unexamined judgement that usually leads to irrepairable damages... And, I'll be adamant with my stance, that this is the most likely case with this child, whom I only see 7hrs of each day, glance at periodically during recreation/recess and have only interacted with on scholastic matters, and otherwise have no clue to his person, or remote insight to who the child is. Now, once your child is prescribed the pills, yes, he will receive a prescription, you'd be surprised how more often than not they take the non-relative side than listen to the actual parents... Make sure to agree to the intrusion with utmost submission, and do everything the doctor and I say as to what is best for your child, for as little as we know of the child and have actually been around him since his birth, know what's best for him better than you. Do, otherwise, and I'm afraid we'll have to take you to court, and there again, you'd be surprised h ow most often than not, favor our side, than yours... So, unless you want to lose your child and face nasty charges that will forever haunt and destroy your state in society... You will let us shove and force these pills into your baby's little body and system and mind, despite how unecessary you see it and prefer to preserve your child from drug treatments. Here's to hoping your next child is more obediant, and is easier to handle , the more still, and less free spirited the better, or else.."

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

We called it "killer." We would play seemingly for hours. Our house had a big yard and was on a dead end street and it was pretty much on most of the time. I did me a lot of good. Sure, I can't see the color orange anymore and I have this funny taste of metal permanently in my mouth, but I have my memories (ouch).

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

One of the best posts ever. Well done, Univac Hal!

In honor of this thread, I give you this:

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html

Four Yorkshiremen Sketch

Monty Python

Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

obviously humans progress through technology. obviously we are all better off than people who live 100 years before us through products like refrigerators, running water, electricity in the home, etc. but that's not really what rr was referencing in his first post I believe.

my dad was born 39 years before me, but I played outside, basketball, baseball with sticks just like he did. there are a lot of things I did as a kid just like my father did. of course I had some things he didn't but the concept is the same.

the dodgeball example has nothing to do with advancement in technology. my dad played dodgeball, I played dodgeball, kids today have dodgeball outlawed. that's what rocket river is referring to. When I played dodgeball, I had better sneakers, better dodgeballs than my father had but we still played dodgeball. now kids don't.

5. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Dodgeball was stopped at our school after someone got hurt...so our gym teachers just changed the name. Instead of dodgeball, we now have TACSIE (pronounced taxi...Throwing And Catching Strategically Involves Everyone)...same game, different name. everyone's happy.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member