1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Tribune] Scottie Pippen Considering Comeback

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achilleus, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Pippen comeback? Great Scottie!

By Sam Smith

Tribune pro basketball reporter

February 15, 2007, 10:49 PM CST

LAS VEGAS -- He's back. Almost.

It's not quite the impact of Michael Jordan's famous two-word return to basketball in 1995, but Scottie Pippen is seriously considering a comeback and hopes to play for a contending team in this season's playoffs.

Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years. And in the Eastern Conference, his veteran presence could change the balance of power and be a major influence in the playoffs. Or he might be the long-sought backup to relieve the pressure on the Suns' Steve Nash. The possibilities are intriguing.

Pippen will give an indication of where he is physically when he teams with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree in the "Shooting Stars" contest part as part of Saturday night's All-Star festivities.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen last played for the Bulls in the 2003-04 season, when knee problems limited him to 23 games. He said he's considering the right situation and plans to talk to some teams and players during the weekend.

"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.

"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.

"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."

Pippen wants to move into coaching and said his ideal situation would be to serve as a player-coach. He believes his experience running Phil Jackson's Bulls offense and as the leader of good Trail Blazers teams in the late 1990s gives him a step up in coaching.

The Bulls bought out Pippen's contract before the 2004-05 season. He didn't mention the Bulls as a possible destination, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with their surplus of guards and small forwards.

Perhaps there would be a spot for him if the Bulls were to trade for Pau Gasol and give up some of their forwards. Pippen remains close with Bulls general manager John Paxson and has worked with players on the team in the last few years.

There are at least two other contending Eastern Conference teams Pippen could greatly affect if he's in the shape he says he's in.

The Miami Heat has been desperate for a point guard with Jason Williams hurt and Gary Payton proving ineffective. Pippen could relieve ball-handling pressure on Dwyane Wade and work inside with Shaquille O'Neal. And he lives in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been desperate for a point guard. With Eric Snow benched, they're playing rookie second-rounder Daniel Gibson at the point. That leaves LeBron James to shoulder even more duties. Pippen could relieve James and get him free to operate in the open court much as he did with Jordan.

Of course, that was a long time ago. But we've seen 40-ish veterans in all sports make an impact with their knowledge and execution. It's especially vital in the playoffs with more half-court play.

Pippen, a classic point guard, played 11 seasons with the Bulls before a year in Houston and four with Portland.

After leaving Portland, Pippen played one injury-plagued season with the Bulls, averaging 5.9 points, his first season under double digits. His career averages are 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists. One of the most versatile players of his era, he played on seven All-Star teams, but 208 playoff games wore out his body. He was all-NBA seven times and all-defense 10 times. He played for two winning Olympic teams and was voted one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl this week talked about needing a point guard and some decision-making help. Maybe the Spurs? How about a reunion with Jackson—the Lakers have been desperate for a point guard. Back to Houston in a slower game with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming? To Minnesota to help Kevin Garnett?

There is no shortage of teams that can use a guy who has played with six championship teams and makes teammates better with his court awareness and passing. And Pippen isn't talking about long-term or taking someone's job. Just a nice add-on for a playoff run or two. Would he help any less than some 15th guy on the roster?

At the very least he has seen it all in the playoffs and would be like an extra coach on the floor.

"I'll see how this weekend turns out," Pippen said. "Maybe I'll make a mess of that shooting stars."

Probably not. He could be a heck of an addition for someone.
    Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Hooooo boy, I am glad this wasn't posted in the GARM bc of the Houston mention (out of thin air). That would've been ridiculous.

3. qzf2qk

qzf2qk Member

4. tchenps

tchenps Member

Do yourself a favor and talk to your buddy MJ before making a come back.

On the other note, who cares! :p

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

LOL!! Pippen has been garbage since '99.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What can he do? I would readily coax Jon Barry to come back before I would ask Pippen to.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pippen isn't one of the greatest 50 players
    Players like Magic, Bird, Dream, all could TAKE OVER A GAME and show LEADERSHIP. Pippen was a fraud post Jordan,
    he couldn't win in Houston. and he got ROBERT HORRY-IED when he faced the Lakers with Portland.
    NADA
    HORRY > PIPPEN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

he also took one for the team

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA needs to remove Pippen off the 50 Greatest list and replace him with Dominique, that dude could take over games and was the leader of the team.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i hate teh guy, but he can handle, pass, hit the 18 footer, run a break, and finish on a break.

If he really is healthy, as he claims, he might be able to still be a solid defender on 3's with his length.

Can't: hit 3's, beat too many guys off the dribble at this age even if he is healthy

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i believe it was expanded to 60? and nique made it?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope he does catch on with a team somewhere, so he can embarass himself. I highly doubt he has the physical tools or the mental acuity to be worth PT on any NBA team.

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Barkley might as well announce a comeback for that ring. He can impress us in his race against Dicky.

14. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

lol, shawn kemp needs to come back too.

15. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

He'd be a great fit for the Rockets. AND, if we get Sura off our books, we could have room for him on the roster!

We could certainly use his skill and experience as an extra weapon, especially at playoff time.

Check out this spoiler for more info:

....and I'm a big fat liar. You see, Scottie Pippen is actually the most worthless lump of human flesh in the sporting world. He, Karl Malone, and Osama Bin Laden (and, probably, Eddie Griffin) are all strong candidates for the lifetime "rot in hell" award.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Whoe! Talk about a blast from the past...what are you thinking, Pip? :eek:

I think he eventually lands in Miami, they like to collect all the old timers there...

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

He's probably getting the itch to quit on yet another team.

18. Angioplasty

Angioplasty Member

He tried, but the Mavericks didn't want him.

19. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I made the mistake of actually reading that article and at some point the writer referred to him as a "classic point" and from that point forward starting talking him up as a replacement for point guards.

Horrible horrible writing demonstrating a ridiculous lack of knowledge.