1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chicago Tribune] Hakeem, Drexler and Jordan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTownND, Jun 26, 2007.

1. HTownND

HTownND Contributing Member

Thought this was an interesting article. Not sure of the veracity if anyone would like to chime in:

Draft deal stranger than '1984'
    Olajuwon says he, Jordan, Drexler could have been Rockets teammates

It's one of the great urban legends in NBA draft annals, a scenario that would have changed league history and maybe the entire Michael Jordan legend -- possibly made it even greater. And subsequent NBA history might be defined more by Houston than Boston, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon playing together for their entire careers. How many championships would that have meant?

There are no precise parallels this year, though there are similarities with the franchise center, Greg Oden, the consensus No. 1 pick in Thursday's NBA draft. The best talent might be swingman Kevin Durant, the likely No. 2 pick.

In 1984, the consensus No. 1 pick was Olajuwon, the center on Houston's Phi Slamma Jammers. Jordan was the college player of the year at North Carolina, so he was hardly a secret. But no one imagined the heights to which he would rise.

Even then-Bulls general manager Rod Thorn warned on draft day that Jordan wasn't the kind of player you could rely upon to turn around a franchise. And it was no secret the Bulls were eager to get Olajuwon.

In fact, their manipulation was part of the reason the NBA went to a draft lottery the next year.

Back then, the teams with the poorest records in each conference flipped a coin for the No. 1 draft pick. The Bulls tried desperately to get into that flip, hoping they were due. They were in the coin flip in 1979 and lost: The Lakers got to take Magic Johnson and the Bulls got David Greenwood.

How would a reversal there have changed basketball history? The Bulls had Artis Gilmore, and Johnson had expressed an interest in playing with either Gilmore or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

In 1984, the Bulls traded their best player, Reggie Theus, for backup big man Steve Johnson and second-round picks and went on to lose 27 of their last 33 after the trade (they were seven below .500 at the time) to finish 27-55.

The Rockets were every bit as creative. They had Ralph Sampson, No. 1 from the previous draft, but played him sparingly down the stretch and lost nine of their last 10.

The Bulls missed getting the worst record in the East by one game, and Houston got it in the West. With the apparent dumping of games to get a franchise center too obvious, the NBA changed the draft rules.

But now it got interesting.

Houston had the No. 1 pick and Portland was No. 2. The Pacers had the second pick, but had traded the rights in 1981 for center Tom Owens because they'd lost James Edwards as a free agent and needed a center. Portland, meanwhile, was loaded at the shooting-guard position with future Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler and All-Star Jim Paxson.

The Blazers were looking to recreate their 1977 championship team with a Bill Walton-type center who could pass.

"Jack (Ramsay, the Trail Blazers' coach) took a lot of heat for that," recalled Bill Fitch, then Houston's coach. "But Sam Bowie ... if you asked (23) teams then, if anyone looked at his need, it was a Sam Bowie. Had Sam stayed healthy, he was a can't-miss. I had Sam later in New Jersey and he was as good a passing center as there was. Had Bowie stayed healthy, Jack had a chance to win championships with that team. He got hurt, Jordan came on.

"What Jack did was right," Fitch insisted. "All of us at the time would have done the same thing."

Thorn said then he wanted Olajuwon, and Jordan was his next choice. Some claimed it was Bowie, which Thorn denies.

But there was the other thing that has been long rumored. It has been something of an NBA fable, and Olajuwon even mentioned it in his autobiography, "Living the Dream."

Olajuwon claimed the Rockets had an offer from Portland -- which wanted the more talented high-post center (Bowie) -- to trade Sampson for the No. 2 draft pick and the chance to draft Jordan. It was the birth of the so-called "Twin Towers" era, and the Rockets did get to the NBA Finals in 1986, losing in six games to Boston. But it was clear Olajuwon was the superior low-post center and he was the sure keeper.

Olajuwon wrote that the deal would have been Sampson for the No. 2 pick and Drexler.

"From 1984 until today (1996), the Rockets could have had a lineup with me, Clyde Drexler and Michael Jordan, developing together, playing together, winning together. But the Rockets never made the move."

Ramsay said he never heard of such discussions and that general manager Stu Inman handled trade talks. Inman died recently. Fitch, who lives in Houston and New Mexico and remains one of the great coaches in league history, insists the Rockets were committed to keeping Olajuwon and Sampson.

"We had the makings of a good team, but the drug laws wiped us out," he said. "We lost Lewis Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins (in 1986-87) and John Lucas (for the 1986 playoffs). Sampson became a one-legged horse (from injury) and we traded him away. If we could have kept that same group, we'd have had something."

Fitch acknowledges Houston had some thoughts about Jordan.

"I had played against Dean Smith in the service -- we were friends," Fitch said. "He called me and said, 'I'm telling you, Bill, this guy is going to be the greatest.' Dean was that high on him. But we did not have the hindsight to know."

It's an airy dream to contemplate, Jordan and Olajuwon.

sasmith@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...un26,1,2156154.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

2. The Drake

The Drake Member

I feel like I was just punched in the stomach.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

i feel very queezy in my stomach...omg what could've been :(

4. Pocket Rockets

ive heard this every off season for about a decade now

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

This has been mentioned about a thousand times... But it's an interesting article.

Anyway, every team has "what ifs..."

6. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

My dad has told me about this for years and years

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i think i just cried a little inside. who really could have predicted that sampson would have gotten injured and his career basically over :( that would have been a trade for the ages.. :(

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I can't believe how many of you are hearing this for the first time.

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Tell me about it. Where have these guys been?

God, I wish everyone would just stop bringing it up. The pain...

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Celtics' dynasty would have been crap by comparison!

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the team would have been all that great.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

We've all heard this before, but the problem with the "what-if" game is that it's impossible to predict what would happen. What if we had Dream, Glide and MJ on the same team:

Well, for starters, you have to remember that Akeem Olajuwon played very differently than Hakeem Olajuwon. Would his game still work with not one, but two explosive scorers? Or would he have just been relegated to filling up the lane?

Akeem had a pretty nasty temper, too. Would he have gotten along with a guy like Jordan (who was not afraid to get in your face)?

How many touches would Jordan get per game? On a team with Dream and Clyde, Jordan suddenly becomes the #3 scoring option.

Also, since he and Clyde played SG, Jordan might have spent a considerable amount of time riding the pine. Would that have effected his game? Or his competitiveness?

You'd still have Jim "Iron Hands" Peterson at the 4, and he'd take enough ill-advised shots and miss enough layups to offset any offense produced by Glide or MJ. ;)

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

No way you trade a great big man like Sampson for an unknown commodity in the 2nd pick and a young, undeveloped guard.

That's like trading Tim Duncan after his rookie year for the #2 pick (and a chance to draft Vince Carter or Mike Bibby) along with a not so great rookie from the previous year. You don't even consider it.

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Who was Jordan? was he any good?

15. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Hindisght is 20/20

16. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Of course, in a what-if scenario, infinite possibilities can work out. Akeem / Hakeem, Jordan and Clyde might never have developed to the level they could be if they were all on the same team.

Me... I like to imagine if all 3 reached their peak together on the same team. That would be a combined 75 points a night from just 3 players. Ah, one can only dream right :D

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ughhhhhhhh.

from 1984-98 (jordan's retirement from the bulls) the rockets could've won about 8-10 championships. probably 8 in a row from 91-98.

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

The Rockets would've been the top 2 greatest dynasties ever, with Bill Russell's Celtics.

AT least 5 rings would come our way, I'm thinking more like 7-9

19. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Who knows, Jordan might not have developed into the all world player he was.

What if Drexler never developed a half-decent jumper? What if Akeem never became Hakeem?

What if Manute Bol didn't look like Starvin Marvin from South Park?

What if Dominique Wilkins went by his real first name (Jaques)?

What if Robert Horry applied himself and became Scottie Pippen II?

What if John Lucus and Sherman Hemsley really were brothers?

What if Granville Waiters could actually play basketball?

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've heard this since I can remember, but here are my thoughts anyway:

If Hakeem had not had to carry the teams that he did, he wouldn't have been Hakeem. He became the Hakeem that we knew and loved because he had to do so much. If Jordan goes to a team with Drexler, and he doesn't have to carry the team, he wouldn't have been the Jordan that we knew.

The possibilities are incredible, but it wasn't what it appears looking back.