1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Tribune] Bye-Bye, Ben? We'll see (Wallace for AK47?)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MR. MEOWGI, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Sorry if it has been posted.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-10-smith-bulls-ben-wallace-cfeb10,1,1193676.story

chicagotribune.com
    ON THE NBA

Bye-Bye, Ben? We'll see

Bulls may have willing trade partner in Jazz, which wants out of Kirilenko's contract

Sam Smith

February 10, 2008

SALT LAKE CITY

The Bulls, starting Tuesday against the New Orleans Hornets, have two home games left before the NBA trading deadline. Will they be the last two for Ben Wallace in a Bulls uniform?

It has been no secret around the NBA the Bulls have engaged in exploratory trade talks regarding Wallace in recent weeks, most notably with theLakers before they acquired Pau Gasol. There also have been rumors of talks with the Knicks, though perhaps the most intriguing match is with the Utah Jazz.

Would the Jazz take the 34-year-old Wallace, and his hefty contract, for Andrei Kirilenko?

On the surface, it would seem unlikely. Kirilenko is far more productive and younger (27 this month). But, as we saw with the Gasol andShaquille O'Neal deals, there are many other factors in NBA trades than just talent.

A big one for the Jazz is the length and amount of Kirilenko's contract, which goes one more season (three) than Wallace's and is at $17.8 million for that final year. Trading Kirilenko for Wallace would save the Jazz $21 million as Kirilenko is paid more annually than Wallace.

The small-market Jazz has to be a budget-conscious franchise, but it also has bigger issues on the horizon.

The Jazz has star point guard Deron Williams eligible for an extension this summer, and then Carlos Boozer before the end of Kirilenko's deal. It already has talked openly of paying Williams the maximum.

Kirilenko asked for a trade before the season, and though he hasn't been a problem, he hasn't rescinded his request. Plus, Kirilenko plays out of position with the Jazz at small forward.

Though just off a 10-game winning streak before beating the Bulls here Saturday night, the Jazz remains one of the poorest rebounding teams in the league, 21st overall, 27th in defensive rebounding and 24th in blocks.

Asked by reporters about a trade, Kirilenko hardly said he would like to stay.

"It's not that I want to be traded, but I'm ready to be," he said. "Anybody in this league, they understand that position. Nobody wants to be traded. We're playing good. And I want to be part of it. But, again, it's a business -- and it's not in my hands."

That's hardly a plea to stay.

For his part, Wallace doesn't have any thoughts about the trade deadline.

"I just go out and do what I do," he said. "I'm fine with how it's going. Again, that's on management. There are a lot of teams out there making deals, trying to get better. Who knows? It don't worry me. It's a part of the business. If they're going to trade you, there's not much you can do. You have the best job in the world. It would just be in a different city. It don't bother me. The only time it starts bothering me is when nobody wants me."

There was a report on ESPN this weekend of Bulls talks with the Knicks about Wallace forQuentin Richardson, Malik Rose and Fred Jones. Wallace is believed to have told friends he expects to be traded and would like to go to the Knicks.

I believe if the Bulls can't get something better, they could do that to move Wallace's contract, though Rose has a season left after this and Richardson two. Those two, though, hardly address the Bulls' needs and perhaps create other issues.

Some of the motivation to move Wallace now is that Joakim Noah clearly is the team's future center, and that was evident again in a strong finish Thursday night in Golden State.

Kirilenko is hardly an All-Pro, but he has been an All-Star, can make a shot and plays defense. He would look good next to Noah with Tyrus Thomas or Luol Deng at small forward.

With Thabo Sefolosha andKirk Hinrich in the backcourt, suddenly that doesn't look so bad as Hinrich is much better playing with Sefolosha. Dealing Wallace also could allow the Bulls to make a move to address the point guard or shooting guard spots further.

----------

sasmith@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

i hope that trade goes through. jazz would become an easy matchup for us.

3. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I'm not sure why Utah would do this trade. Would they move Boozer to small forward and Okur to power forward? It seems like it would be tough to put them all in the starting lineup.

4. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

I cant imagine Jerry Sloan putting up with Ben Wallace's BS. I think he will be glued to the bench.
    Ben Wallace vs Jerry Sloan. who will win in a fight?

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Please go through. Yes! We can finally play 5 on 4 offense against the Jazz.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Agreed - Jazz would be idiots to do this

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree... I don't think every West contender needs to trade star forwards for washed-up East centers.

I think I'm going to change the thread title of the article. It's hardly a rumor. There is nothing to this other than, as usual, Sam Smith plays GM.

He does not even say it's one of the rumors... just says it's an "intriguing match".

If you're asking, I'm hardly believing it's being talked about.

You think?

Ladies and gentleman, we now have the justification for every Sam Smith article from now to the end of time.

8. Sextuple Double

As if they already don't have problems with swingmen ripping them for 40+ (Kleiza!!??) Taking away pseudo-defender Kirilenko for a one dimensional pseudo-defender will definitely have them drop in these West standings.

DO IT JAZZ!!!!

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You missed the point. Jazz Owner sees the future of losing money with D Williams max contract, Kirilenko and Boozer near max contracts. They save 21 million by making this deal. Opportunities like that don't come around very often. So it may be more of a financial move which is good for us.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But they could trade AK for something more worthwhile that has an expiring contract or two, right? Wallace would definitely be on their bench most of the time, so they could go after someone whose contract actually expires this season, right?

11. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I ll be happy if the Jazz makes that trade.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I didn't realize Ben was already 34 -- poor trade for the Jazz if it happens.

13. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

if the Jazz didn't have AK47 we could have gone to the 2nd round last year. He might be the only good defensive player they have on the team.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No. Okur would move to the bench and Korver/Brewer would man the wing. Personally I think Okur hurts the Jazz when he has to start, a big that shoots the 3 is overrated. Unless its against Yao who doesn't like to come out then its not really an asset. Wallace would give Utah some of the toughness inside that it needs. I guess I am the only one on board with the deal.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Good trade for the Bulls... Bulls should be thrilled to get rid of Wallace's contract. You get more for your money from Kirilenko than Wallace.

16. Asian Sensation

Jazz raped the 76ers in getting Korver. It's only fair they lose Kirlenko.

17. All Souled Out

Wallace is just coasting right now. He's definitely a way better player in the playoffs.

The Bulls already got their moneys worth for Ben Wallace. The reality is, they would have never gotten past the Heat last year if it wasn't for Ben. The guy comes up big in the playoffs.

And as for his attitude - if Larry Brown dealt with it, so could Jerry Sloan. Brown dealt with it all the way to a Championship and Finals appearance.

With Kirilenko, you get an oft-injured b****. With Wallace, you've got an NBA Champ. He'd fit in well with Okur/Boozer. Boozer gets injured a lot anyways, they could use another big.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How did it work out last year?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This would be awesome for the Rockets another team taking a massive chemistry risk .....just DO it.

DD

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think the guy has marbles in his head. Isn't this the same guy who wanted to take McGrady off our hands for a bag of chips and a pat on the head?