1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Tribune: "Bryant berated a seething O'Neal for letting Yao Ming outplay him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WinknCatForever, Mar 12, 2004.

1. WinknCatForever

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

"Letting" Yao outplay him? He had a choice?

3. buddry

buddry Member

I remember the 2nd Laker game where Cat totally outplayed Kobe....

4. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Of course he doesn't want to coach elsewhere b/c then he can't ride superstars to championships since the powers in the west pretty much have their coaches for the long run. I mean he would actually have to coach, imagine that, we know he doesn't/can't do that.

5. Sane

Sane Member

For heaven's sake, the guy has like 10 rings.

Let's say 9 of the mwere luck. Not ONE of them was actual coaching?

If he's not a good coach, then why couldn't the previous coaches do what he did?

I'll agree with you that he's not one of the best tacticians in the league, however he is one of the best overall coaches in history. What he lacks in drawing up systems he makes up for in every single other facet of coaching.

I hate the Lakers and hated the Bulls. Even thought he was lucky for the first few championships.

But it gets to a point where saying he can't coach is a logical error.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not exactly that black and white.

This year was luck, that year was coaching, etc. Sure, Jackson can coach...but would he have won 2, 3, any of those championships if he had been the coach of Sacremento or Dallas during this stretch? Maybe San Antonio? Personally, I could see him winning with SA, but just because Tim Duncan is such a one man wrecking crew. But were he coaching any of the other teams, I don't think he wins anything, personally. And that is the reason a lot of people think he is overrated.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to nitpick, and it may be me being a moron here...

but, I count 6 for the bulls and 3 for the Lakers = 10

does he have one as a player or osmething?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Meant = 9 (clearly I was being a moron in some ways)

9. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

He's overrated for the very same reason Rudy T is overrated: he's able to work with veteran players, set aside their petty gripes and ego trips, and get them to play team ball and team defense.

Dave.

10. Sane

Sane Member

But Popovich has only won with Duncan, and Rudy with Hakeem.

Does that take away from their coaching abilities?

Clearly, Rudy isn't the best X's and O's guy in the world either, but a hell of a coach.

I'm saying coaching is not what it used to be, and ego management has become as important as drawing up plays/systems.

So if Tim Floyd or Terry Stotts were coahing the Lakers during the 3-peat, he'd also win 3?

Like I said, it's just a difference in our definitions of coaching. I think coaching has become way more complex, and Phil is ahead of the crowd in the new areas - in fact, he probably created them.

JayZ750,

You're right, they're 9.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

The problem with Phil is that he has never had any team with less than championship caliber talent. So you never have a good measure of just how much of a factor in those championships.

For example, if you hand Jerry Sloan the Bulls with Micheal and Scottie, the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, it's not difficult to imagine him winning a ton of championships either. But because he has to deal with being in Utah, one will never know his ability to coach a super-talented team.

12. max14

max14 Member

If Phil won one or two, maybe. But when he won three STRAIGHT, I'll give him some credits. players can only give you championships on a certain year. But dynasties are created by coaches and GMs.

13. Raven

Raven Member

God, he's full of ****.

Raven

14. outlaw

outlaw Member

in other words he's waiting for LeBron to get more talent around him

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't see what the big deal is a B - rating isn't that bad. It's not like he gave Shaq an F.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

:D

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

There rivaling the Blazers as a bunch of selfish DISFUNCTIONAL OVERPAID WANNABES.:D

18. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Wait a minute. Now I know it is vogue to bask in the greatness of Sloan but he had 2 hall of famers for 15 years and couldn't get a title out of them. Me thinks he is a tad bit overrated.

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Not really. He also has two as a player, bringing the grand total to 11.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sloan had basically no one outside Malone/Stockton. No FA would go there, and their ability to get in the playoffs meant no high pick. They did manage to get Hornacek and start their years of deep postseason run. Which showed just how important it is to have the right players.

If you think players aren't important, then ask yourself this. In the year the Jazz lost to the Bulls in the finals, imagine the coaches switch places. Do you think Sloan, with the Bulls players, would've beaten Jackson with the Jazz players?

I'm not saying that Sloan would've definitely won all those championships, but he certainly would have a very good shot at it.