1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Tribune: Best cure for Rockets: Launch Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, Nov 28, 2004.

1. tariq

tariq Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/10291268.htm?1c

Posted on Sun, Nov. 28, 2004

Best cure for Rockets: Launch Van Gundy

BY SAM SMITH

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - (KRT) - There are just two words to explain what's wrong with the 6-9 Houston Rockets: Jeff Van Gundy. Or is that three words?

This is not to say Van Gundy is a bad coach. He's just the wrong coach for the Rockets.

The larger issue is more than the fate of a team many believed would be a power in the league with the union of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The real question is Yao's future with the franchise_it doesn't seem as if he can grow and prosper under Van Gundy, and he could be lured away when he becomes a free agent.

And don't you think the Lakers, with a big Asian population on the West Coast, have identified Yao as their future center?

We see it more in college than in pro ball, but this is a classic case of a coach demanding his players adjust to him rather than him adjusting to them. And this is not one of those disciplinary, make-them-work, good-for-the-coach, teach-the-bums values things. The Rockets have a good group of players, by most accounts serious-minded and committed.

But they're playing a slow game, mostly walking the ball up and running a halfcourt offense. It was a good tactic for Van Gundy with a team like his aging New York Knicks, a slower, possession game that can keep a less talented team in the game and steal some wins.

Now he has young talent in Yao and McGrady, although Houston, to be fair, doesn't have that much overall talent after giving away three starters to get McGrady.

But the Rockets need to run, or at least play more in transition. Defenses are setting up against them, turning them perimeter-oriented, thus limiting McGrady to jump shots and surrounding Yao and making him work too hard for baskets. It has tired him, and he has had trouble finishing games.

The Rockets' statistics reflect their style, not their talent. They are 29th in scoring, 28th in rebounding, 27th in steals and 23rd in blocks even with Yao. Their field-goal attempts are 26th most, and they are 29th in free-throw attempts, showing a lack of penetration to the basket.

McGrady, the league's leading scorer the last two seasons with a combined average of more than 30 points per game, has had only two games this season over 25 points. Yao, averaging 17.8, has been in single digits five times this season, twice in the last two games against teams without dominating centers.

"My game right now, I'm hesitant on the offensive end and I can't get into a rhythm," McGrady said after Saturday's loss to the Jazz. "I really don't feel in sync on the court. I can't get into the flow at all. I don't know what it is."

I do. McGrady needs to get easy baskets in transition to open up his perimeter game. Of course, better rebounding would help. Yao is one of the league's best running centers, but he's walking into the defense too much.

"Neither of those guys has played like we need them to play to win down the stretch," Van Gundy said last week.

The style Van Gundy favors wears out players. The Rockets aren't great, but they have too much talent to allow lesser teams to stay in the game with limited possessions.

"Do we have enough personality? Do we have enough fight?" Van Gundy asked. "Every team follows a certain personality. Who are we following? I'm not sure. The coach should have a group playing with energy and passion, and obviously I don't have that right now. Certainly if the results don't change, we'll need to change either who plays or who's here."

2. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

umm. i dont know if im the only one who completely disagrees with this statement. yao is slow to move and cant run up and down the court with the rest of the team. hes very slow at moving his feet and his stamina is terrible. i do like most of the other points he makes though

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very good article.....

Seems as if i have heard this quote before...

T_Man

4. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

He can run probably 40% of times. He don't need to run all the
    times. Shaq used to take a breath and let others finish the break.

Right now we have 80~85 possessions. Suppose we increase
    it to 100 (the Spurs # of possessions). Yao can play 35 minutes,
    or 73 possessions. We can run in 27+23 possessions and slow
    down in 50 possions to get Yao involved.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sam, you been reading my posts, man? :D

6. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Yao lacks quickness but his speed isn't too bad for his size.

I agree with this article completely.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think the style is fine. Guys just need to figure out how to play like a half court team. I think we are going through the learning curve right now.
    People say we need to run. Ok tell me how? Run like Dallas and take quick Js before the defense set. Yao is not going to last. We are running when the situation presents, but we are not going to run like Dallas, Memphis, Seattle. Down the road, we are going to play like old Lakers, Spurs. I think that is the right direction.

8. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

The old Lakers and Spurs have 100 possessions, and We only
    have <85. Why should we use all the clock to watch Yao fight
    for the position again and again? JVG's style is grinding-it-out,
    an extreme half-court style.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Are you sure they have more than 100 poessions? And we have less than 85? Dont take Kenny Smith's words too seriously. They do run sometimes( so are we), but not like Dallas or Memphis.
    Among our guards, Sura, Lue, or Barrat can run, but I only see Sura as a reliable runner to finish off and he isnt exactly a PG. Besides sura, probably Tmac and JJ can run, but Tmac and JJ plays almost 40+ minutes every game, so how much will they be able to run. Was anybody running along with Barret?

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Perfect article. That is all I have to say.

11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Good find!! Finally

JVG better start adjusting to his players...or else

12. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

On that note, I don't think JVG would let them fire him... I think he would quit first. That is just my opinion.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Rubbish and naive journalism work like this just make me sick.

I hate when idiotic journalist like this folk run around and parade themselves as educated folk while talking next to nothing.

Did it cross this Sam Smith's mind that JVG is adjusting to this team? That his play calling is more because of Yao? Yao is about the sole reason why we wait for him to dump it down low. The fickleness and the zombiness in some of us will make us buy this rubbish Sam Smith calls an article.

Which coach can really do any better with Yao if his stamina does not improve? NONE! So you guys think if we run more fast breaks we will be better? Why don't we trade Yao now while we are at it. Are we that naive that Yao can sustain more than 2 sprints up and down the court in a 5 minute stretch?

Maybe we should stop mincing words and categorically state that Yao is our biggest problem not JVG. Any sane and rational basketball mind will see this - every coach is ultimately as good as the product he has to work with.

Heaven's knows I will not be apologetic for JVG he does not warrant it but in this case he does. RudyT, Phillip or John Wooden will not be able to do much better if any with Yao and this current team. Lets flame JVG for the collection of players on this team not his coaching.

We must stop being so gullible on this forum and not be so easily psychologically pushed around by basely pieces like this one. The foundation and rational of Sam's point is faulty, puerile and amateurish. I foresee us turning things around optimistically speaking and sadly this same fickle reactions will as usually take a 180 degrees turn.

If you doubt it, lets just go ahead and trade Yao now that his stock is high and get a few descent players in return and you will see how well we will do. Yao and Tmac ultimately have to pick it up (especially ming yao). Whining, softness and frequent bouts of running-out-of-gas will not cut. Maybe it is time JVG should stop adjusting to Yao and the soundness of the fundamental inside out game so that we can all breath better. Ridiculous junk!

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Am I the only one that remembers before Les hired Van Grumpy he asked him what style of ball he would play here and Van Grumpy's answer supposedly was "a more uptempo style"?

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

This guy would fit in with a lot of us nicely! Most of what we have been saying is in the article. Disregard it if you want but at least it is being said out in the open now.

16. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I would be really surprised if he said that.

17. Charvo

Charvo Member

There are plenty of half-court offenses that does not have the predictability of JVG's offense. It's not like half-court offenses have to be boring and ultra-predictable. Every team that plays the Rockets has to play on offense with a half-court offense too. Take a look at the Kings. They aren't running and gunning all the time. They have a great half-court offense with cutters going everywhere off screens.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Kings started installing that offense in 1996 when they lured Pete Carill away from Princeton and than took a risk drafting Peja. It takes rare players with great passing skills to run the Kings' offense. If we can't make decent low post entry passes, I'm not sure how well we'd run their offense even if we stole Carill from the Kings.

Regarding the Sam Smith article....

A decent article with a valid point. The point however would be moot if the Rockets would just hit the wide open shots they are already getting.

#18 GATER, Nov 29, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This from the guy who called Rudy a traitor. Nice.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this may come as a shock but i can't say i disagree with the article.