1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago - Houston rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Aug 5, 2004.

1. hpscc

hpscc Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...trade,1,4018712.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Crawford and Jerome Williams go to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, former University of Illinois standout Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski. Mutombo and Trybanski won't be around long.

The Bulls already have talked to Houston about a deal involving Eric Piatkowski, league sources said. If that doesn't materialize, the veteran center, who is currently out of the country, likely would be dealt. Trybanski will attend training camp and then be waived.

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

3. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

**** i accidently pressed submit too quick. i was going to say good find but i don't get what the deal was for. EP for Mutombo? I wanted the rockets to give piatkowski a chance and i still do, but if we get Mutombo as our backup C I'll be fine with that. Problem is, we are running out of swingman. Lets say we give T-Mac 38 minutes at the 2 and lets also say Jackson gets his pt cut to around 20 at the 3 spot. Boki will then have to play 28 minutes. Is that too much for Boki? It would mean that JJ could play like a couple of minutes at the 2 while Gaines could pick up a few. Oh i give up. someone do a logical distribution of PT if we had EP traded, because then we would need at least another Swingman.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Good Deal. Deke might be old, but he can Still Block shots and play solid defense for about 14 min a game. also i think he has an expiring contract?

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Mt. Mutombo would work for 12 minutes a game.

6. xiki

xiki Member

Chicago's next moves will be interesting, not only with the newly acquired group but with Fat Eddie, as well.

Curry to Grizz? What would The Logo have to give back (besides eating ERob's deal)?

Mt Mutombo and Hinrich to Rox for Pike and Juwann? Could it happen? Should it?

7. mogrod

mogrod Member

There's no way it's Mutombo, he makes over $18 mil and Pike makes chump change compared to that. Probably Pike for either Frank Williams or Trybanski.

8. GATER

GATER Member

If he worked capwise. :D

No, Mutombo was waived by NJ so only counts at his NYK contract of $4.5m. Which still doesn't work capwise.

9. xiki

xiki Member

What about Cheaney, in your scenario? Or Person?

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

We've got to find out what Boki can do. This is the year to do it. I say he's shown enough to get 25 minutes a night, at least for the first month of the season.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Real GM says we could make the swap with just Pike and Griffin. I think you're thinking of his original deal with the Hawks - the Nets ate the last year of that and the Knicks signed him outright.

12. meh

meh Member

JVG is notorious for his short bench. Since by all indications, he is going to play Boki next year, we're going to have a JJ/T-Mac/Boki rotation at the SG/SF positions next year. I'm guessing depending on how Gaines perform, we may or may not sign some scrub-ex-Knick in case someone gets hurt.

I wonder who would we get for Pike. One of their big man? Or a PG? I think Mutumbo would be a perfect fit, provided he can actually play a little. We certainly wouldn't ask much of him. And he's certainly a good option for what we need.

13. lanqiu1

lanqiu1 Contributing Member

How about Antonio Davis?

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Mutombo is well over 40 at this point, which would explain his rapid decline over the last few years. His prime was in the mid 90's. I'd rather have a high-energy guy out there than a slow, injury prone Deke.

15. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

he would be good too.

Ok i have no idea how to use the TE, but could we like give a bit of it for Mutombo's 4.5 milion salary? then we could keep pike :)

16. m_cable

m_cable Member

I think they are talking about Othella. He's a former Rocket and would work capwise with Pike.

17. francis 4 prez

either stop smoking crack or stop letting it cause you to consider trades where we get hinrich for crap. you even got rid of a long term contract for an expiring one for us in this deal.

i think he was just saying a straight pike for deke trade wouldn't work (which it doesn't). however, if the bulls wanted to do it, throwing in AG would work like you said and wouldn't affect either houston or chicago much.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Maybe we could work out a trade for Frank Williams. He has decent talent and should at least push Gaines and Lue for the starting PG spot unless the Rox bring in someone else.

19. hpscc

hpscc Member

Paxson and Skiles rave about Hinrich. He is their sort of player: plays excellent defense, sets up the offense, and is good from 3-point land though his overall field-goal percentage was bad last year. However, I wouldn't be at all suprised if he improves upon this weakness from his rookie season.

Gordon was drafted to be the shooting guard, not PG, and with Crawford traded, he will likely start.

Bottom line, there is almost no way Chicago trades Hinrich. He is an up-and-coming young talent, already effective, that also has the intangibles the Bulls like.

However, Frank Williams, Pargo, and maybe Duhon all figure to be available if Houston thinks one of those guys can help their PG situation.

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Member

Pike for Mutumbo. Good deal for both teams. Now, while they are talking, they also ought to discuss Chandler and Duhon. I'd absolutely love Hinrich, but I don't see them moving him at this point. I could see them taking Howard/Pike/Griffin for Chandler/Deke/Duhon. (the salaries work, according to RealGM) Chandler would bring valuable depth, while we let him grow up, and he might turn into something special, if he didn't have to start, and could come along slowly.

I looked up the stats in the 2004 playoffs, to see what Point Guards were clutch in the areas that we are valuing in a PG, (1) low turnovers, (2) high 3 point shot percentage, (3) high assists, and quick passing. The guy who came out on top was Damon Jones, of everyone. I didn't expect that. During this year's playoffs, he was 3rd lowest in turnovers per game (1.8), 3rd best 3 point percentage 10/21 .476, and 4th in assists with 7.4 pg. Those are higher numbers than Brent Barry's averages, when it counted. Now that James is in, in MIL, perhaps we SHOULD get Jones using our MLE.

Yao/Deke/(Chandler)
    Taylor/Spoon/(Chandler)/Padgett
    JJ/Chandler/Boki
    TMac/Gaines(Chandler)
    Jones/Lue/Duhon/Wilks