1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chicago Gonna Chicago] Teen murdered on family's front porch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He took the time to watch and respond to your Koch slobbering video, which referenced controlled studies and surveys to get around the cold hard numbers.

Not the validating response you wanted, but we can't all get what we expect.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Chicago recorded it's 500th Homicide today, making it one of the deadliest years in decades. It's amazing and incredibly sad how many murders there are in the iconic city.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

What type of POS would do this on innocent people? Just randomly shoot at people sitting on their front porch. This isn't 1994.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

Violence in Chicago happens in isolated clumps of areas with very high black populations that have been in the area for generations and have had poverty and have been very segregated. The truth is that most of Chicago doesn't care because it is poor black (and some Mexicans) killing other poor blacks in areas with only other poor black people.

6. Cohete Rojo

By the end of this week, Chicago will likely pass 3500 shootings and 600 homicides. I seriously doubt whether Clinton supporters at this point even care about the rise in violence (especially in the inner cities) and whether they know just how depressing and traumatizing this level of unemployment, poverty, and violence can be.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Do you care? What solutions do you propose? Last I checked the governor of Illinois is a Republican so this issue is partly on him to solve correct?

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL

You ever heard of the gun control issue.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't think she is against gun control like the right is.

10. Cohete Rojo

So, how privileged is everyone here to bring up "gun control" from their own non-gun-controlled neighborhoods? Or did your neighborhoods have similar levels of violence which were solved with "gun control"?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Again, what solutions do you propose? Gun control, better education, and grassroots encouragement from local organizations is how to fix the issue. Which there are plenty of organizations for Chicago kids in the local area.

This idea that no one cares about it only reveals that the person propagating that idea didn't care enough to actually look into the situation.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Agree.

His statement is pretty poorly thought out. Its the classic, pick a piece of bad news and blame it on whichever notable politician he doesn't like. Reminds me alot of his anti-climate change garbage.

13. Cohete Rojo

There is not this outlier-level of violence elsewhere in the country, and the rest of the country does not have Chicago-style "gun control". I think it is reasonable to conclude that "gun control" therefore is a red herring, as far as solutions go. Did you not watch the PBS Newshour segment I linked to? One researcher stated that the violence is cultural.

Taking away guns is not going to increase employment levels, boost incomes, and give people hope. It is the exact opposite that causes this hostile malaise: high unemployment, low incomes, and no hope.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well we are not going to get into this discussion. If less people had guns there would be less deaths, that's just a fact. Proven by what we see in other countries. Guns were made to kill people and they do so efficiently. If less people had them there would be less deaths. Yes Chicago has 'Gun Control' but it is being bypassed...so there are still guns. Obviously. Taking away guns would mean less deaths. I mentioned that as one part of the solution.

Also I agree with boosting incomes and giving people hope. How are you going to do that though? I would suggest raising minimum wage (as it should be nation wide) and making sure that the local school system is up to par and teaching children so that they don't feel like the only way to make a living is being a criminal.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

1) An "outlier" is not representative, right? So Chicago is not representative of anything?
    2) How do you expect to keep guns out of Chicago if, as you state, "the rest of the country does not have Chicago-style 'gun control.'" It's easy enough to cross state lines with guns. Criminals love breaking laws like that, right?
    3) Who said anything about "taking away guns"?

16. Cohete Rojo

I bet the Washington Post is making up this data the same way the FBI made up data that shows there was an increase in the violent crime rate in 2015. Probably Russian hackers.

17. Cohete Rojo

Are we just going to ignore the increase in violent crime in America? Is it because this statistic was reported by the FBI - the same FBI that investigated Clinton? Let's not hold a grudge here.

18. Cohete Rojo

And it gets taken to new heights.

19. Cohete Rojo

84 homicides in June 2017. That's 9 more than in June 2016.

The city is already at 16 homicides for the first 7 days of July!

Still laughing, Rahm?

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides

However, I think I am starting to have a change of mind about the whole "rise of violence in America". I think Trump would be wrong to help out. Let Chicago fester. Let Detroit fester.

These are parts of America that have passed on help, that have passed on change, and that have passed on being anything other than a blight on America's landscape. The local politicians are ungrateful for and belligerent towards Trump's attempt to help them. So give them what they want: more of the same.

20. dmoneybangbang

Can we throw in the rust belt and rural America in there too?

Chicago needs the war on drugs to stop and Chicago needs a federal gun control policy instead of a patchwork of policies.