1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Bulls dream scenario

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, May 13, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/15881/lebron-to-the-bulls-3-gms-think-so

I don't think Wade and LBJ are playing for the same team so I'll go with the Bosh scenario.

1. Rose
    2. ???
    3. LBJ
    4. Bosh
    5. Noah

Still far fetched but seems alot more likely to happen than any of the Knicks scenarios involving LBJ.

1 person likes this.
  2. arsenicbear

arsenicbear Member

I do not know. It seems like the front office conflict in the Bulls would help dissuade LBJ from joining the Bulls. LBJ is about two things money and winning. The Cavs have already shown a strong commitment on the latter by going over the salary cap for multiple years, building that super-fancy practice facility, and catering to LBJ's whims. If LBJ leaves the Cavs it will be for the money. NYC is the best location for increasing his exposure and endorsement earnings not Chicago.

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

If Jeff Van Gundy coaches that team they will win a championship.

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

People are speculating that John Calipari will be the coach. He and Lebron might be a package deal.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Please no. JVG was horrible. I'd rather see Calipari coach that team.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It would be pretty funny to see Lebron walk into that locker for the first time. I wonder what Noah and LBJ would say to each other.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If JVG coaches Lebron, maybe Lebron becomes a Texans fan!

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3 high usage guys on the perimeter and none of them can shoot.

Not as dream as it appears.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If JVG coaches Lebron he'll never win a championship.

10. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i wonder who will coach lebron? lets see... arguably the best player in the league, havin problems gettin over the hump, prolly gonna have a stacked team where ever he plays... hmm.. i wonder who will step in. i all of a sudden have a cravin for kfc.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I saw this and shook my head.

Toronto seems intent on SnT, not just letting Bosh go and sign for Chicago when they get some good assets back from another team (Rockets) Also 30 million is a lot to pass up if you are Bosh.

As for Wade...I think he'd go there and pass up on the extra money. Wade out of all 3 of these guys seems more about basketball and not being the man or getting more money in a SnT, but about winning.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

ESPN is now selling this idea that Lebron would sign with Chicago and the SnT would be for Bosh.

There are some a issue I THINK here.

* Why would Toronto want Deng and Hinrich in a SnT? HOW is that a attractive deal? Deng's contract is HORRIBLE, why would a now rebuilding team want to take on that contract? It would take for Bosh to demand to go there (which could happen) and STILL Toronto might shake their head and say "Hell no, we are not taking his contract. This hurts us more than helps." honestly I think Toronto would rather let Bosh walk then take on that contract, that is the worst thing a rebuilding team can do is take on bad contracts like that. Unless the Raptors want to model the Knicks model of success.

Oh yeah, and Kirk's contract isn't much better, just a few years shorter and so at least they can trade him.

I don't see how any deal with Deng would be attractive to any one at all. Deng is one of those guys that you are going to have to convince a team in taking. He's not bad, but he's not worth the 12 million he'll be getting the next 4 seasons.

So with BSPN's supposed deal to get Bosh and Lebron to Chicago. Toronto would be collecting bad contracts and they already have a few in Calderon and Turkoglu. The jury is still out on Bargnani too if he will be worth the contract he has.

So who else do the bulls havd to trade? Taj Gibson and Hinrich I assume, and some filler. I always thought the bulls were a attractive team because they could add a max player and add depth to their team by pushing Deng or one of their starters to the bench. I don't see many attractive pieces outside of Gibson and Hinrich.

13. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

if the bulls get bosh AND lebron i will hate them like i hate the jazz and mavs. :mad: :mad:

14. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Listen guys, I can't believe no one pointed this out. This BSPN speculation of Lebron going to Chicago.....

Alright, granted...it appears to make perfect sense on the surface. You got Michael Jordan's legacy. You got a rising youg stars in Derreck Rose and a solid championship piece in Noah. You got cap space for one more star per the BSPN Sign and Trade.

But how many unnamed GM who are supposed to be "sources" have came out of those BSPN reporters in the past...

But the Logic is so seriously flawed when you think about the potential S&T from the Cleveland side that it is outlandish no one is pointing this out. To Simply Put, there's zero chance of Loul Deng going to Cleveland. Period.

1) Loul DENG is a DEAD CONTRACT where by someone actually needs to be COMPENSATED for taking on that ****, but not trade for it. Check out Hoopshype. 4 more years at an average that exceeds 12.5MIL PER. Why in hell would Cleveland take on this crap if they are gonna lose Lebron and rebuild. Think about that. Not even if they are compensated 40 Million. I STILL would not do the trade even if I am compensated for 40 Million. That's how bad this Loul Deng contract is for a rebuilding team in a small market.

2) So you might now say, can any other combination of contract make it work? Now lets look.....they got Kirk Hinrich's 9 MIL deal, which is another bad contract btw, and lets find some fillers along with it. But all you got is Rose and Noah at 5.5M and 3.1 M respectively.

3) So in conclusion, there's no viable way to make the trade work juz for the salary matching purposes, let alone finding enticing assets from chicago to make the trade even remotely appealing for Cleveland.

4) No way cleveland would "gift-wrap" lebron to chicago when their only other competitor for LBJ in free agency is....thats right.....Chicago. But lets face it, even if LBJ does make a legit threat to say he wanted to go to Miami (the ONLY remaining possible destination IF BEASLEY can be traded away), it would still not make sense for cleveland to BOW DOWN and do a S&T with Chicago as explained in points 1)-3).

Can we say that BSPN is once again creating controversies with apparent contradicting logic that even an average joe like me can discover?!

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Broussard had a good dream scenario. James to Chicago, guy like Bosh also to Chicago, and get this, Phil Jackson as coach!

Also threw out Byron Scott's name for Chicago.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

Do you have to match salaries on a sign and trade if one side has cap space?

I think Kenyon Martin was traded straight up for 3 1st round picks. So Chicago can do sign and trade for lebron without Deng.

You're right about Toronto not wanting to take Deng for Bosh. I think there's 2 things Toronto wants in a sign and trade: young talent, or get rid of Hedo. Would the numbers work if Chicago gave Toronto Deng + Hinrich for Hedo + Bosh? (Is Chicago far enough under the cap after Bron?).

17. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I would imagine something like this would happen

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f1RlTYIAcBE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f1RlTYIAcBE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

yea you're right. Since Chicago is under the cap they can take more salary and the 80% rule of salary matching would not apply.

But without throwing some salary away, then there's really no reason for LBJ to go to Chicago because CHicago would have no cap room to take on one more star player.

As to your suggestion of Deng + Hinrich for Hedo + Bosh....yeah it will work with some filler players....but Deng's contract is equally as bad if not worst than Hedo's. So.......

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not only that, but there's a big statue of Jordan in Chicago, he constantly hear about how Jordan did a better job whenever he screws up. He gets that now, but in Chicago it would be like 20 times worse.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Deng's contract isn't the albatross a lot of you all think it is. He is overpaid, sure, but he's a 18/7 SF w/o baggage that's due $11M next year. His deal is nearly identical to Martin's and he isn't a serious liability on defense. If I'm listing out the worst contracts in the NBA, it would take me a few players before I'd get to Deng.

#20 scorer in the NBA...and I'm pretty sure he isn't in the top 30 for salary. Overpaid, yes, unmovable poison pill contract...far from.

Hell, I'd list half of this year's Cavs team above Deng in an all-bad contract ranking.

Anyway.

Chicago is approximately $24M under the cap as it stands. If desperate, they could shave a few more dollars (trade a player and draft considerations to take back a player making only 80% of the salary. Hinrich would be the guy they push hard in that scenario.

Also, getting rid of their pick (say by swapping it for one next year or using it to dump Hinrich) frees them from the guaranteed cash that player would be slotted for. Keep the pick, and that's $1.5M they can't use.

If LeBron and 2nd FA-X cost a combined $34M, they have to swap salaries in the S&T deals to snag both. Deng makes $11M - he's the difference right there. Plus, he's in the way at SF. Hinrich almost does the trick. I fully expect that they'll be under major pressure to cough up either Noah and/or Taj Gibson in these deals.

Possible deal:
    (CLE) - Deng, Gibson, 2010 pick, $6M TE, $3M cash
    (TOR) - $14M TE, Noah, and 2012 pick for Bosh, Hinrich for Calderon or Turkoglu

The biggest problem is that Chicago splitting it's assets and ability to take on bad contracts will make either offer lesser than a team going all in.

1 person likes this.