1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I’m not even picky lol. Give me Banchero, give me Chet, give me Wemby.
    Would be great assets, and compliment Sengun extremely well imo

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh ****!

I did not know he handles like that his bag is deep.

My god he is skinny but so was Durrant and that's who he looks like.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the upside to him. Elite defense, length, good athleticism and potentially crazy ability on offense.
    I do think Banchero is safer, still with great upside. Just not the upside Chet has

D-rock, Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He wasn't humiliated, but Wem played better than him.... the MVP of the tournament was Holmgren.

No, the USA has zero problem embracing athletes from other nations, in fact the USA (for all it's faults) is extremely open to people that are great at something coming to America from other nations. The appeal of Holmgren is that he has the skills of a guard at over 7'0" and can defend like a center.

Banchero has poor lateral movement and isn't a high upside defender. Let's see how the season plays out but the upsode of Banchero is lower than the upside of Holmgren or Wem.

D-rock, Yung-T, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Chet does not have a pituitary gland disorder, in fact his father is 7'0". I can understand injury concerns about a man his size that has the fluid movement he has though...... Banchero doesn't have the defensive upside that Chet does.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah he is part of the evolution of basketball......... we have 7'0" or taller guys that handle the ball and shoot like guards but still block shots and defend inside and outside....

We saw a little bit of it with Evan Mobley and now Chet is even more developed.... we will continue to see this evolution over the next handful of years.

7. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If somehow we draft Chet... we would be in desperate need to fill out the rest of the team with thicc players.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The beauty of Chet is he would fit great with Sengun, specially at weak side shot blocking. Chet is an elite defender and Sengun is showing he’s got ability there too

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. VanityHalfBlack

I want him to succeed!

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Chet looks like he's added some muscle.

He's still thin, but he doesn't look like a twig waiting to snap anymore to me.

cmoak1982 and Tuckankhamun like this.
  12. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Would like to see more of his handle, but Gonzaga doesn't need that from him. Maybe we'll see him unleashed in March?

Jabari Smith Jr gets a lot of love for his versatility and ability to fit into different lineups, and I think Chet is showing similar qualities. He's up to 40% on 3s, can score at all 3 levels without rhythm dribbles or plays drawn for him, great shot blocker, underrated passer, and he competes.

D-rock, i3artow i3aller and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve been watching a lot of his game by game videos and you can see a lot of him doing things off the dribble. I think he’s playing within the system because it’s a veteran team, but when needed can make something happen.
    He would be a perfect fit next to Sengun imo

D-rock, i3artow i3aller and RedIsen like this.
  14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

For sure, I catch a recap vid every now and then so my impressions are a bit disjointed.

Actually went back and watched some other vids and yeah he's beasting in transition, attacking off the dribble, dribbling into jumpers, and dribbling into the paint with spin moves. It's not super advanced stuff, and it doesn't have to be. Expecting KD style top of the key iso handles is wishful thinking, but there's a path to him being effective off the dribble in the NBA. He's becoming my favorite of the top 3 bigs.

i3artow i3aller and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

How is Chet a different player from Zhou?

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Seen this question come up a lot.

Both players may share physical resemblances but Chet is the better ball handler, passer, shooter, defender and is just plain tougher physically and mentally.

Chet is skinny AF, but he's FEARLESS.

And skilled like a MFer.

17. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Roc Paint and D-rock like this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Thanks. I saw Chet play for the first time yesterday. He does indeed play hard and is not afraid to jump into the fray. He clearly has skills galore. But, I am concerned that he will get injured going up against NBA players. His lack of bulk concerns me. He doesn’t look like someone that will ever be anything but skinny.

Who knows, maybe he will put on the muscle like Luis Gonzales did after he left the Astros.

D-rock likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is good at basketball?

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both Mobley and to lesser extent, Green, also had rail thin physique concerns.

One was legit, other was not.

I think you have to watch how physically they play to determine how durable or fragile their games are.

Do they initiate contact willingly and forcefully, how do they respond to contact especially vs borderline dirty hard plays.

jiggyfly likes this.