1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He is the best natural shot blocker to come around in a really long time. He would be a good shot blocker even if he were only shorter. A lot of guys are good shot blockers because they are tall or long, but Chet really has a natural aptitude for it. He also has put on a little weight. He looks a little sloppy with his handle. I have seen him with a tighter handle in the past. He seems to have worked on his three point shot some as well.

I will be curious to see how he does this year at Gonzaga. He doesn't look to be getting any taller but he does seem to have increased his arm length some, his wingspan appears now to be in the 7'5"-7'6" range which is elite.

I think going to college was a mistake as far as developing his game is concerned. He will be well coached at Gonzaga and I know he wants the experience, but he isn't going to face many players that can physically handle him. Had he gone to the G-League, he would have played against older players and guys that are more physically mature. The concern with Chet isn't his athleticism or skill package, it is seeing how he adapts to players that are close to his size and are stronger than him. He has faced very few players that have his size, and when he has, he hasn't played as well. Now, at this point no one knows if it is because he isn't experience enough and hasn't adapted or if it is because he just isn't good against larger players ..... the summer league is really a waste of time for him, he is playing guys 6 inches shorter than him. He needs to be playing grown men.

2. Jalen Green OnlyFan

He will be the best young player since jalen green

we must do what it takes to get him

raining threes likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol Holgrem reminds me of Mobley; looks good only because he is beating up on his peers.

Yeah ok he is a natural shot blocker so what? Is he gonna block Zion with those chicken arms? One hit from enforcers like Pachulia looks like its gonna break his spine or w/e. In not confident he can put on enough weight to endure the rigors of the NBA since he looks so skinny he reminds me a lot of Joe Chee. We're not talking about 10 pounds here we are talking about 20+ pounds of muscle otherwise he is gonna get pushed around like a pogo stick in the paint.

Give me Banchero man. With Banchero you have a template of success, you know that kid's gonna have no problem transitioning to the NBA.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

5. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Bro, I respect you but I think you may be off base about Chet.

Chet is a super duper star in waiting. He truly is the next KD.

Imagine growing a team of Kobe + KD. That's Jalen plus Chet if we do this right.

6. dmoneybangbang

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

John Wall, you have a very special Tank Commander mission this season.

8. Nook

Nook Member

We will see. The problem with someone like Chet is that there are only a handful of players outside the NBA that physically can match up against him so he isn't used to playing against players that can meet his physical profile. I will say this, he can put the ball on the floor, he can pass very well and shoot very well... and that isn't impacted by the size of player he is competing against. His offensive skills are far more developed than Mobley.

Yes, he will block Zion and many other shot takers. He is an exceptional shot blocker and can block both straight up and from the weak side.

There aren't really many enforcers left in the league because the style of play has changed. He will get pushed around some in the paint but his length and athleticism will off set some of that. It may impact his rebounding the most.

Banchero is an excellent prospect. However, he is not good laterally moving at all... which is going to be a challenge at the NBA elite level. Defensively he will not be able to guard guys great on the perimeter.

9. raining threes

I see Chet as a very rich mans Brook Lopez at this point in his career. He should only get better.

I will admit that I've only seen highlights of his game.

10. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Chet will be almost as good as Green.

Let's nab both. 2 superstars

11. Nook

Nook Member

He can put the ball on the floor and create for himself and others..... that is a major advantage he has over someone like Lopez, who is dependent on others creating for him.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not to mention, far more athletic and long.
    And a potentially elite defender

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Blocking shots take more than skill and anticipation, it requires strength to physically block shots. Lol how is Holmgrem gonna block zion with those skinny ass arms?

I'll take Banchero's lack of lateral quickness over Holmgrem needing to out on 30 pounds of muscle. I mean people said Luka sucked laterally and looknat him now, its not a deal breaker bro.

OTH needing to put on 30 pounds of muscle man thats a tough ask out of anyone, especially a skinny white boy. Not trying to be racist but we all know black people are just built differently from other races, thats why they dominate most sports. Injuries are a huge risk for Holmgrem once he puts on those 30 pounds.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is taking 2-3 3 pt attempts, thats not enough to qualify as a wing imo.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

KD didnt shoot 23% from 3 he shot 40% on 5 attempts a game.

16. dmoneybangbang

He also averaged less than 9 FGA during that stretch.

Going to have to agree to disagree.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero isn’t the athlete that Chet is laterally or vertically.
    Shot blocking has very little to do with strength. Anticipation, timing, length and quick pop off the floor is needed.
    I’m not against either or, but Chet has a much higher ceiling. Probably a much higher chance for bust too.

18. raining threes

So his floor is Brooke Lopez?

Sign me up and I'm not a big Lopez fan.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]
    He looks like he has put on a little weight finally compared to videos I watched this last year. His arm length is RIDIC

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Chet is 19 years old.

Once he gets into a physical development program on an NBA team, he is easily going to put on 20-30 pounds.

I am all in on this kid. Hope we land the #1 pick this year.

King1 and cmoak1982 like this.