1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Tillman spending $70M on new training facility

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If official, the guy on Reddit nailed this months ago/last year.

#101 Dr of Dunk, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  2. MystikArkitect

So....the old Landrys building. And that **** is Galleria like Spring is Woodlands.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Spring... Woodlands... tomayto, tomahto ...

Bo6, REEKO_HTOWN, cbass and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Spring, Texas catching a stray lol

Ask em for that mailing address though. Y'all ain't live in the Woodlands.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Right by the Metro bus station! So the players can take a park and ride to practice.

Dredd, Amel, Snow Villiers and 4 others like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thanks for choosing us for the tax write off this year Tildaddy

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's what I said!! See first post on this page! lol.

Can't wait to see the new place, though. Not like I care one way or the other - as if I'm going to be playing or working there.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the way everyone online obsess over millionaires getting a brand new practice facility you would think the city of Houston can practice there too.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It might have a donation box area for us?

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He's owned the team for how long now and we're just getting a plat? Maybe it will be built in time for Amen's retirement party.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I drove by there about 3 weeks ago to see if there was any progress. There is no change from what you see in Street View.

Fwiw: I’m not sure why that tweet is considered new news. It’s references an article in Houston Architecture from Oct 2022.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com...ockets-practice-facility-at-7310-old-katy-rd/

Note there is also an empty lot next to his Post Oak Hotel, which is 1510 West Loop South, the location in the listing. I still think it’s going to be there.

#111 heypartner, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that would make more sense, but who knows. Maybe there were multiple locations possible. I always wondered if they were just going to build on top of the Landry's Distribution Center to piss everybody on here off. LOL. I agree the Galleria area would be more conducive to high-end NBA players (unless it's changed since I left).

Here's the Reddit post from September 2022 where the Reddit user said the 7310 location was it on the application his company filled out to build it :

So the news, rumor, whatever isn't new.

Maybe it changed since then or like I said, maybe there were multiple sites possible. We'll see.

13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The league has grown substantially since then, they are simply asking to benefit as owners have. Players have been demanding for years, there just wasn't internet, smart phones, twitter, for us to hear about it. The only way we heard about things was short interviews or in news paper print, which writing an entire article about what is now a tweet just wouldn't happen.

Realistically it is just a recruiting tool, when all teams can offer the same max contract to a guy you need the little things to add up for things to lean in your favor. Many players went to colleges where the locker room and facilities are far better than what the Rockets have, so it looks kind of bad if you have guys making it to the league and downgrading facilities.

14. fattz

fattz Member

I still don’t see the need to build from the ground up. It’s a basketball gym, any abandoned grocery store in the right location would work. Signage and paint. Wall off the parking lot for security. Put in gates with personnel. The offices go in front by the windows. Training, conference and locker rooms to one side with the courts on the other. Saves time and money, should have happened within the first year he bought the team.

How is that much different is that, than what will be built?

#114 fattz, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  15. heypartner

Yeah, that’s basically what Cuban did.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IDK, maybe I'm not a wealthy man like those NBA players. If I were an NBA free agent, practice facilities would be one of the last things in my considerations of which team I would want to join.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pretty sure OTE had some of the most advanced facilities and gears but only a below average league.

JamesC likes this.
  18. heypartner

imo, total guess, the reason it’s taking so long is Tilman is looking to leverage the training facility with his entertainment and hospitality business. He could easily make a training facility a profit center rather than cost. And the 3 keys to that would be location, location, location, which takes awhile to find at reasonable price.

Could be when Patitta tried to shush him during the presser, it was because they are trying to buy adjacent properties (or such) requiring secrecy,,,and he just might have made that more difficult.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. heypartner

Yeah, I remember you posting the Reddit thing previously. That’s why I’ve been driving by the location periodically.

I’ve been thinking that the building sitting on the Old Katy Rd location within the Landry’s DC property is actually perfect for a restaurant “training facility.”

:eek:

But it’s also weird the location in the title of the HoustonArchitecture article being referenced is not the location on the referenced TDLR doc, which is the West Loop South address.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they’ll call me a wetb*ck in both places. I see no difference

quaczar and Rudyc281 like this.