1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Offseason Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OmegaSupreme, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Actually, he is a great person...

2. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Danny Fortson.

Thank you very much. :p

3. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Ur welcome;)
    (I hope)

ALA

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Omega, I really like only two names you mention--Brown and Brand, though Miller would be OK.

Brand we have talked to death--the Clips would have to want to make this happen so it is not up to our front office.

It would all depend on PJ's cost. If he would take the MCE by all means go for it--but he will probably command more (S & T). He is no spring chicken (34 next season)--so the most value I would offer would be like Posey (except you can't S & T with 2 players involved) or Boki. No EG, no Mobley--you are giving up a youth with good potential and a good player in his prime. On 2nd thought, maybe I'd let Mobley go for Brown if we could then get a PG or SG close to his caliber for the MCE (BIG IF).

I have zero interest in Brent Price, Steve Smith, Steve Kerr, or Tracy Murray and little interest in Elden. Reggie Miller and Piatkowski would be good back-ups. The problem with all these guys is they are softer than a babys butt & can't play D.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

hmmm... must be a cold day in hell or something. finally someone didn't bash me for bringing up brent price... but you didn't mention him either. lol

anyway, nobody has said anything about a pg. i think it would be okay to have a pg with mediocre defense if he could consistently knock down the three and not turn it over as much. any other pure shooting three point shooters besides... errr... uh... brent price?

**note to self** everybody will now bring up andre miller with some ludicrous trade idea.

bryce drew? you know... feed to yao, yao back to drew, drew back to yao, yao back to drew for a 3?

6. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Good thread omega.. starting to get sick of these threads that keep harping on getting Brand and other superstars that are virtually unascertainable.. just on the reggie issue, i don't
    really know why he'd come to a team that is aiming to be a
    playoff threat and not already one.. and also for a cheap
    salary as well..

#26 Loco Gringo, May 1, 2003
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

mmm u forgot to mention Wesley Person.
    And there is a reason Price, Smith, and even Miller arent getting much playing time in post season folks...

8. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I have not been on this BBS for long but I've followed the Rockets for a long time. I don't understand what the problem with Brent Price is?

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

thanks rage.

i'm sure somebody will answer shortly...

10. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

You did not miss much, except for Barkley to get on his knees to worship his return from injury on to the court one game. Then he was injured again, and again, and again.

When he did played, he SUCKED big time. Just think that Moochie was an upgrade to Bryce Drew and Brent Price. Its pretty sick to say Moochie is better then another PG in the league.

11. HeyDude

Well, we signed him to a long free agent contract thinking he would be the perfect complimentary player for Hakeem and Barkley. Everyone in Houston loved the fact that the Rockets were getting a solid Steve Kerr type dude, who would be perfect for the inside outside strategy......only one problem: it didnt pan out AT ALL, really. The dude was quite inconsistent, and every time he was on a roll he tore his leg. I still remember one time, he was just coming back from a surgery, and playing kinda good....well, he falls down going for a loose ball and points right to his knee.......he knew he was done....again.....very sad :(

the point is, the whole Brent Price thing just didnt work out in Houston. You see, everyone expected to see the Brent Price that burned Houston for like 34 points w/ 6 3s when he was w/ the Bullets, the one that resembled Mark Price. That just didnt happen....

12. HeyDude

Ok, lets please not go overboard dude :p

13. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I remember all of that but that was not Brent's fault.
    He played his heart out and he played smart. He was just not healthy enough to put in a consistent year!

What I didn't understand was things people says such as "Price is a terrible human being", "never mention Price and the Rockets in the same sentence" ...

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sorry, Brent Price has played in less than 70 games over the last 3 years and averaged 2 something points in those games. He could still probably clean up in your local top level city league no doubt, but as far as the NBA he isn't more than 3rd string/emergency IR caliber at this point in his career--thus I just don't see a point about considering what he could bring.

2ndly, if we trade Mobes and are playing Francis primarily at the 1 we don't have the luxury of even a 2nd string point guard whose only contribution is spotting up for the open shot. We would be better off with a bigger, more athletic, even if long-range challenged, back-up PG.

I am less sure of the reason for your last point, I think Dre might very well be a target for trade speculation. My preference is to actually pursue a 3-way with Clips and Tor where essentially A. Williams comes here, Miller goes to Tor and Mobley plus a Tor pick goes to the Clips, but I would also consider Mobley+(Boki, or Tmo, Mddx, & pick) for Dre. I don't just cause a PG can't hit the 3 (though Dre is good from 20ft and in) doesn't mean he could not fit because of many other positives he can bring.