1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Offseason Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OmegaSupreme, Apr 30, 2003.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Okay... the projected lineup definitely isn't star-studded, but that's not what we need. Here's some relatively cheap offseason additions that could help the Rockets...

I see the Rockets only needing one MAJOR move this offseason... that's PJ Brown, Elden Campbell, or Brand. I'm hoping that this would be a dirty player (that would slap the mess out of anybody that elbows Yao in the throat like Mutombo did) and hopefully a team co-captain. Sounds more like PJ Brown.

Pure three point shooters who don't command the ball as much are in need. Cheapies...?... Brent Price, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Tracy Murray, or Piatkowski. Each should come cheap. This person should also be able to handle point guard duties. Maybe we can get two of these guys... Reggie as a leader and Brent to run pg duties... both killers behind the arc.

To sum it up... in the offseason, we get an older pf/center that has everybody's back, but still gets in their ass when the screw up. in addition to that we get a proven (although kinda old) leader in reggie and another pure shooter in price. maybe boki can be the third pure 3pt shooter.

moochie, griffin, mobley... gone.

projected lineup:

pg: price, maddox
    sg: francis, miller
    sf: boki, posey, morris, rice
    pf: pj brown, taylor,
    c: yao, cato (love that guy now)

Why this roster would work:

1. the starting line up resembles the hakeem era, but with an upgrade at the sg position. work inside out (yao please don't shoot the ball all the time with this roster because we'd have more than capable three point shooters this time).

2. Francis and Yao are the only two players that can create an open shot in the starting lineup. Posey and Taylor are the only two players that can create an open shot on the bench. No else really can. This forces the ball to move around. Here's your motion offense Rudy.

3. Three REAL leaders are on the team in Miller, Rice, and Brown that can put their teammates in their place since Rudy doesn't have the balls to.

4. Good ROLE players that aren't one dimensional. Well... even if they were one dimensional, they're still ROLE players that I can't see as having the superstar mentality that mobley and griffin suffered from.

5. Because PJ Brown would be our Otis Thorpe... and we all know how Otis kicked ass. :D

Maybe this would make me want to be a member of the PRC again... who knows?

good or bad idea?

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

price? not again....

3. OmegaSupreme

his price is right (cheap), 3pt shooter, doesn't command the ball, no ill-advised shots, more importantly... knows rudy's system.

has 3pt threat ROLE player written all over him.

so, why not?

#3 OmegaSupreme, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I've read various articles in the San Antonio Express that Kerr was going to retire after this season. Price is often injury-prone, I think he showed that during his tenure as a Rocket. Ya know, even Matt Maloney would come cheap...he's arguably better than Norris as a backup pg, plus knows Rudy's system.

5. We're Back

We're Back Member

Brent Price? Ban this guy, please

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

and we can get matt bullard while were at it....ive seen those tnt half time shows....kenny can still hit those shots too....

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

BRENT PRICE? are you kidding me? The guy is injury prone it's not even funny. How many games did he play for us? Like 3?

8. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I think the idea of revamping the roster to get less talent but more ball movement and cohesiveness is just what this team nees.

But Brent Price?

I think someone better would be a guy like Brian Shaw

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

I'd rather have Hollis Price

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I've been screaming for Rafer Alston and Speedy Claxton. If spurs gets Kidd, no way Claxton is staying in SA, and he can come cheap, just like Alston.

11. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

eric piakowski

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

Eddie Griffin to Orlando for Pat Garrity + Gordon Giricek

13. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

We can't afford PJ Brown.

But a player like Jim Jackson or Steve Smith would be nice.

Piatkowski, Barry....all of them. Yes.

Rafer Alston and Speedy Claxton would both be upgrades over MOOCHIEL!JOP@uOPIQ.

14. Nova

Nova Member

I dunno what the hell is wrong with Steve Smith now, but he sucks. He's been sucking for the past two or three seasons. And having Speedy Claxton as backup pg would be awesome. Well at least a definite improvement over Moochie.

How could you even suggest Price??

I don't even like the thought of Miller on this team. Sure he was an awesome 3 pt threat, but he's getting old (and not as good) and sooner or later ppl will realize they don't need to guard him as tightly. Then he'll be a liability on offense and defense, and somehow if he does keep his shooting touch he'd still be a liability.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Either/both would be good if Stevie stays at the point. If he moves to the 2 then Stevie is Rox' best b/u point.

Voshon Lenard or Eric Piakowski would be good imo.

PJ is showing his age and will likely sign for more than MCE, possibly in a SnT. This is supposed to be cheap role player thread, after all. Cherokee The Tat would be a decent cheap fit.

16. Toast

Toast Member

I kinda like Steve Smith too. I think his jump shot is almost as pretty as Alan Houston's. Gotta like guys who can nail a jumper, but I'm not so sure about his defense.

We just want a couple guys who can nail outside shots and play some sticky D, is that so wrong???

17. jshabang

jshabang Member

Omega.....................You really disappoint me......I have no choice but to punish you for this post.......it hurts me more than it hurts you but.............You're banned from your keyboard for a week and no TV either:D :D ;)

18. OmegaSupreme

man... didn't think i'd get bashed this much from this thread. maybe from yetti, but... sigh... fine. i can do without tv, but i'll have nothing to do at work if i can't come here.

i still think it would work.

19. jshabang

jshabang Member

For future reference Omega..........Never, never, never,ever, ever,
    say Brent Price and Rockets in the same sentence. Its a sin or something like that:cool:

20. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

Brent Price is a terrible human being , now i want you to go to your room and think about what you did!