1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHAZ] Seattle Autonomous Zone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 11, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

No links bro, I only lived in the areas prior to moving north of it and got my vehicles broken into twice, called the cops and they blew it off. My wife got accosted in Chaz, called the cops and again they blew it off. Both cases we do not blame the cops. Business owners suffered a much worse fate than us. They watched active drug use and drug dealings in front of their businesses on a daily basis along with the daily urine and feces as a bonus. You guessed it, they called the cops and got the same answer like us. The reference you want is in this powerful documentary “Seattle is dying”.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

agreed. I also let him know he was being a little over dramatic about the violence. But he is spot on about the general decline of the city.

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The alt right tough guys seem jealous the liberals were able to take over and control the core of a major US city -- best they could do is an obscure National Wildlife Refuge in the middle of nowhere.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Homelessness in American cities in general have gotten worse. I don't think it's a coincidence that the rise in homelessness coincides with the opioid crisis.

Blame Perdue pharma for the current homeless epediemic.

5. generalthade_03

I replied to you earlier bro. I wish that I’m being overly dramatic but that’s not who I am. I’ve lived all over the world from my time in the military and multiple places in the US. I love Seattle and the charms of that Emerald city, where else could you go to see the Bruce Lee museum as well as the gravesites? Unfortunately, it is what it is and it’s not getting better anytime soon.

6. generalthade_03

I’m not jealous, I’m online right now booking a trip to Chaz, just to brag to you guys that I’m the first one here who’s been to the newest country in the world. I’m having a little trouble finding out the exact fees to get in though.

7. Space Ghost

The cause and solution to homeless should probably left to a different conversation...in the least, I haven't studied this problem.

I have antidote evidence of the decline of Seattle over the last decade. I have family in the Seattle area who I visite yearly. Their immediate area has always been a nicer area, however over the last few years, petty crime has dramatically been on the rise. Homeless camps are growing, and in itself that isnt the issue. The issue is the homeless are becoming much more aggressive. The police have complained they have no real authority outside of handling major crimes. I haven't come across anyone from that area who states Seattle is a better place than it was 10 years ago.

Just like sports, its the leadership who should shoulder the responsibility. Whatever they are doing is not working.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

I know you're trolling, but CH is not the core of the city. Nor do they have control of the district.

There would be a very different response if this was happening in Ballard or downtown.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

Well the important question to ask when determining the proper solution is whether these homeless people are life long residents of Seattle were the socioeconomic factors in the city fell were native Seattle residents became homeless or whether they are from out of town and went to Seattle because it's the nearest major urban area with homeless shelters and parks?

Seeing as how homelessness has become a larger problem in cities across the country especially out West my assumption is that this is due to the opioid crisis that is decimating rural regions of the nation. Since those regions don't have the infrustrcture in place to shelter the homeless in their small local towns, they travel to the nearest major US city.

Nook and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yeah I guess . I haven’t been following this story too closely .

in general, **** people state as absolutes “everything is fine” is usually not the truth . Few things are truly black and white . We could all use a little more nuance and perspective.

but yeah I don’t trust **** the cops say .

everything is PR at this point . From the govt , to large companies , to the popo

IMO it’s the NFL’s fault :) . The dumbing down of our societal discourse has followed the interactions of reporters and Professional athletes and coaches .

We’ve all been SportsCentered

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Its gotta be dangerous there... fox news is reporting armed guards all over the place there...

13. fchowd0311

Wow that's actually hard to believe. Fox News spins like crazy but they usually don't fall to this level of tactics. This is r/the_Donald level of fake newsing. Do they have original links to the Fox News articles?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Honestly , I believe all of the above is going on inside "the zone" as some less than desirables have moved in along with the actual protesters to take advantage of the situation and that the police and local leadership don't want to admit failure here , hence they've walked it back to "we've heard anecdotally". Neither confirming nor denying .

Much like the looting situations across the country - a group of bad people join in and take advantage of the protests and it snowballs from there.

Media members have said that only those associated with groups sympathetic to the cause were allowed in at the "armed checkpoints".

I think most of us are on the same page in that change is a requirement , not an option .... and I think most of us support the ideals behind the protests but there's always those who will take advantage of the situation. The vast majority are likely peaceful protesters but I believe without a doubt that there is a criminal element that has infiltrated them.

My one wish is that they didn't make it out to be a racial issue when its clearly a much greater issue of economics. It's creating a divide rather than focusing on the issue of police brutality across the nation and against people of every race , creed and color who all have one thing in common - they are poor , the fact that blacks are 3x as likely to fall into that economic category than whites explains the volume of cases involving them in relation to their overall percentage of population.

http://www.stateofworkingamerica.org/index.html?p=4193.html

Dam near every case we've seen over the last decade has one thing in common - it occurs in economically challenged locations.
    It isn't happening in the high rent districts nor have we seen any significant number of cases in the suburbs , its always "in the hood."

15. cml750

cml750 Member

Just cut off all utilities and do not allow supplies in and they will come out in short order. Cut the internet and jam the cell phone towers and many would come out REALLY quick.;) The question is what do you do with them once they come out?

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. The West Coast also is attractive to homelessness because of the mild weather. I know when I lived in CA that many of the homeless were not originally from there. In Minneapolis we always see more homeless people including tent encampments show up in the summer and then disappear in the winter.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think simply blaming "the opioid crisis" is a very narrow view on this subject - there are a lot of other issues at play with homelessness than that , although it is a part of the problem.

As for where these people come from - they flock to cities that have laws (and weather) friendly to their presence from all over the country. San Francisco was historically a destination city , Seattle has been the latest of those destination cities.

Fair weather is a big deal .... that's why you seldom hear of these people congregating in large numbers in northern cities..

Houston now has a large homeless population , tent cities have popped up all around downtown. Back in the 80's there was a massive tent city under the Pierce elevated section of 45.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this basically Hamsterdam?

cml750 and generalthade_03 like this.
  19. Space Ghost

A couple of people who have visited the area have told me this has largely been blown out of proportion. Its mostly comprised of millennial hipsters 'adults playing fort'. Basically Occupy Wallstreet.

The media, on both sides, is spinning this into something its not.

jiggyfly, Nook, JumpMan and 2 others like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just city policies. San Diego has had a homeless problem for decades even though it was Republican controlled in much of the 80's and 90's

Nook likes this.