1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chasing your dreams vs. doing what society says you should do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Where is that line drawn? And I'm sure it's in bold ink.

I'm speaking in general terms. You know the old saying: "you should go to school, get an education, and enjoy a highly-paying "office job."

Does it make you lazy if you desire to go in another direction away from school? Those people who say that: "school is not for me" and stuff like that.

I believe that everyone has their own lives and should head in the direction their lives take them. Guys I need your opinions. Do you feel that one is a bum if he/she decides not to go to college and does their own thing? I'm not advocating against college in any way, shape, or form. I'm just saying, would it be a mistake to do what you love instead of going to school? People say that school comes first and fun secondly. But what if "fun" is what is destined? To do something that makes you happy? I hope I'm making sense.

I recently separated myself from college for a bit. It wasn't out of laziness either. But, I do have a full-time job that is very stable. Currently I found something that I love to do. I just kinda feel like I'm going against everything that I was taught; like a "rebel" so to speak. I do plan to return to college in the near-future, but as of now I am doing my own thing. There are alot of areas that I can improve on, which I plan to do. I am confident that I can return to college and perform efficiently. But still idk.

That thing you love to do can be anything and can vary: music, acting, singing, etc. I think I have discovered my dream.

Where is that line drawn?

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Finish college first and then chase your dreams, I think having a good education is needed for security if your plans don't work out.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

How many years have you been in college/how many years left?

If you don't mind sharing, what is this passion you speak of?

Without knowing these things, I'd have to agree with Yung-T in general... unless your 'dream' is building the next Microsoft in the garage, some other type of business that's gonna make you incredibly successful, or something time sensitive that you have to jump on now before it's too late, you should go ahead and get the degree first.

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

/thread. simple as that

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Always chase your dreams. Your dreams may lead you back to doing what society says you should do anyways, so you can't lose by chasing your dreams. Don't waste your time doing what you don't want to do. You can always go back to school later if what your current dreams are don't work out, with more life experience, money, and work experience.

6. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I have 24 credit hours at a junior college with a major in biology. It used to be math, but it changed. I have thought of med school; I am kinda a nerd, although I struggled these passed two years. My GPA dropped because of some circumstances, so I decided to take a leave of absence so to speak. My love is in music. In particular, the bass guitar. I love it because I can relate to the pitch and deepness of the sound, if that makes sense. Just how low it is; kinda matches the type of person I am. I have aspirations to improve and make it big in the years to come, God-willing. I can play for hours, and it passes like minutes. And I am super dedicated to it. But I haven't missed a day of work.

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Mark Cuban was talking about this on Howard Stern last week. I found a blog he wrote that sums it up very nicely.

I hear it all the time from people. “I’m passionate about it.” “I’m not going to quit, It’s my passion”. Or I hear it as advice to students and others “Follow your passion”.

What a bunch of BS. ”Follow Your Passion” is easily the worst advice you could ever give or get.

Why ? Because everyone is passionate about something. Usually more than 1 thing. We are born with it. There are always going to be things we love to do. That we dream about doing. That we really really want to do with our lives. Those passions aren’t worth a nickel.

Think about all the things you have been passionate about in your life. Think about all those passions that you considered making a career out of or building a company around. How many were/are there ? Why did you bounce from one to another ? Why were you not able to make a career or business out of any of those passions ? Or if you have been able to have some success, what was the key to the success.? Was it the passion or the effort you put in to your job or company ?

If you really want to know where you destiny lies, look at where you apply your time.

Time is the most valuable asset you don’t own. You may or may not realize it yet, but how you use or don’t use your time is going to be the best indication of where your future is going to take you .

Let me make this as clear as possible

1. When you work hard at something you become good at it.

2. When you become good at doing something, you will enjoy it more.

3. When you enjoy doing something, there is a very good chance you will become passionate or more passionate about it

4. When you are good at something, passionate and work even harder to excel and be the best at it, good things happen.

Don’t follow your passions, follow your effort. It will lead you to your passions and to success, however you define it.

http://blogmaverick.com/2012/03/18/dont-follow-your-passion-follow-your-effort/

1 person likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Lucky for you that your passion is with something which you can master while going to college or having an office job - at least initially. Why not go to college and practice or do gigs at night or on weekends whenever you're free?

About the typical path: draw the line right now. Decide the exact amount of time or the exact amount of saved money at which point you will exit that path of doing the dirty work in someone else's dream. If you don't set the line in advance, it will destroy your own dream as you get more and more lazy. I specifically say lazy because it is not lazy to work like a dog and chase your dream in a risky industry. It is lazy to ignore your own ambitions and follow the template to a mediocre and financially secure life. The template path will swallow you, and you will become that guy who tells people with dreams: "you don't understand the REAL world".

I assume you don't have dependents right now. If true, that puts you at a massive advantage. Make your choices now. No need to do anything drastic. It's good enough that you know what you want to end up doing. Now sit down and figure out how much time you can spare till you get there, and how much money/experience would be reasonable to accumulate before making the jump.

One last thing, I think just being a bass player is a bit narrow. Try to find the area between a bass guitar and music's future and master as much of it as possible (perhaps music production?). You can always rely on being a bass player, but you should constantly be developing into different levels of your craft.

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

not sure how to embed
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jNDZgvne_5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/jNDZgvne_5k

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

If you have a chance, finish your degree.

I'm following my "dream" and am making more money than I did when employed full-time in a management position in the same industry. Furthermore, I am able to follow my dream of getting a PhD in a topic I enjoy while paying for it myself and having no debts. So in my case it's definitely been worth it, though it requires careful planning of my time and efforts - laser focus is a must.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FjCqrURyflY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Change your dreams into finishing college. Then chase that dream. Once you achieve it, you can have yourself another dream.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Unfortunately, you're locked into the Westernized life plan ideal here. You're right about spending your time honing your skills, but you don't need college to get a good education.

Spending four (really usually five or six) years treading water, spending time and money on something that you may never use? Horrible plan. I do agree that it's a great growing experience but it's not the only way to expand your mind.

I wholeheartedly discourage people from going to college unless they have a clear passion and plan for it. College isn't for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My advice to you is get back to school as soon as possible.
    The reason a say this is because you should always try and
    finish what you start before going into any other venture in
    your life.

Many people that have started college and have taken a
    sabbatical for whatever reason, never return. I'm not saying
    this will happen to you but why take a chance. Even if you
    don't make a career from your education you will always have
    that to fall back on plus you'll feel better about yourself knowing
    you've achieved a milestone in your life.

You can always pursue your dreams/passion after you get
    your education, regardless good luck in whatever you decide!

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Get your ass back to school. Pura pinche chiflazon.

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

If medicine isn't your #1 passion, do NOT go to medical school. It is a long and incredibly demanding road, and it will push you harder than you've ever known you could go. Once you get though the difficult admissions process, it only gets harder- your life will be mostly studying while many of your friends the same age will be working, earning good money, and going out and enjoying life. After 4 years of that, you will start residency where you will be overworked and underpaid for another 3-5 years. Possibly a fellowship after that as well.
    Ask yourself this- if you weren't doing med school, what would you be doing? If the answer to that question comes easily (which I think in your case it does w/ music), then medicine might not be the best field for you. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to go to medical school?
    If you are certain about medicine, then buckle down and get to work. You'll need good grades and a good MCAT score. Med school isn't a fall-back plan, it has to be the #1 option and something you are truly passionate about in order to survive the 10+ years ahead of you of studying. If you have any hesitation about doing it, then I would strongly recommend you consider going into something else and avoid medicine. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask. Best of luck.
    (Also, I'd say that you should get your college degree regardless of what you end up doing. Don't want to limit your future possibilities. And a career in music sounds awesome if thats what you really like.)

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In most cases, doing what you need to do to take care of yourself puts you in a better position to chase your dreams.

[​IMG]

You got to take care of the stuff at the bottom before you can get to the top.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. You CAN do both. I don't know why people feel like they have to make a choice.

1. Finish college
    2. Get a good job to support yourself/family
    3. Pursue your dream on nights and weekends
    Best of both worlds. Simple as that.

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Preach!

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

All I'm going to say is it doesn't cost an education to be happy.