1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chase Budinger dealt to Minny for #18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThaShark316_28, Jun 26, 2012.

?

Chase Budinger for the 18th pick -- Do you like this deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

850 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

114 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You could say the same thing about the vast majority of second round picks.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Please this due was soft as jello pudding and put up numbers every other week. He had his opportunity to shine and Parson came in an took it.

Thank you Chase and have a great career in Minny.

3. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Couldn't agree more. I still think it was a one-sided trade myself. I liked Bud, at times, but didn't think he had the vaule of a mid-first.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Two of the players in my sig(Lillard/Taylor)will contribute in the league right away. This is why i chose them. We won't need all of them to play immediately. We just need to shore up the team.

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

they are after Moe Harkless, who will outplay Marcus Morris

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Come on DD. Look at Morey's draft record. If there's one thing I'm confident in it is that he can replicate a player of Chase's contribution with the 18th pick if he has to. Chase is a capable rotation player but not a star. Morey has done a great job of finding players like that in the mid-late first and second rounds. If he can't pull off a bigger trade for Dwight or another star, then he can replace Chase with someone at 18 for less money.

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/18881777/rockets-trade-forward-budinger-for-nba-draft-pick

(FOX 26) -

The Houston Rockets have traded forward Chase Budinger to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the 18th overall pick in NBA Draft on Thursday, FOX 26 Sports has learned.

"It's part of the business," said Budinger in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "The Rockets want to do something and they have got to pay for it."

"It's cool for me too, because I get to go play for coach Rick Adelman again. You kind of know with (Rockets general manager) Daryl Morey, no one is ever a lock with this team. Everybody is definitely tradable. I'm not mad; I was not expecting to be with Houston the rest of my career. It's very rare for people to do that."

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/1...ard-budinger-for-nba-draft-pick#ixzz1yuUHxzww

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lol the 18th pick is more likely to Be in the league for more then a couple years. We had a jam at SF, and now we open up room for Morris.

9. Rivers

Rivers Member

Does this mean that we can start chanting Jonas Valanciunas name?

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Last time the Rockets had 3 first round picks, we parlayed them up to #7 for Eddie Griffin. I remember being absolutely stoked after that.

Also had 3 in '98, coincidentally also #14, 16, 18 ... that was the infamous Rashard Lewis cry-fest where we took Dickerson, Drew, and Turkcan.

11. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

it begins
    here we go!

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The Raptors are not trading him :confused:

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Help me understand your thoughts here. I think it's fine as long as it's aimed towards something....but if it's just Budinger for 18, I'm not sure I'd call that A game material...more like a lateral move.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stop it.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Being a realist, and we were talking about KEEPING players picked there, on an already crowded roster.

It is great if you can flip those picks to move up, or for a good star player.

The only point I was making is having 3 low first round picks on your team is nothing special.

DD

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Absolutely you could.....

DD

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Minny going all white

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

i like the trade for us particularly because of the direction the team is headed, but the widespread sentiment on here that budinger (plus eliyahu) isn't worthy of the 18th pick is ludicrous.

the guy can slash and drain 3's. easy 15+ ppg scorer in this league with PT.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That Budinger was once a second rounder is irrelevant. He proved that he's worth some minutes in the NBA which is more than an unnamed #18 pick can say. I'd say it's a pretty fair swap and one that made sense for the Rockets considering they have Morris and Parsons too. But, I'd give the edge to Minnesota on winning this one -- if they ended up picking someone at #18 as good as Budinger, it'd be a good draft; they get that much risk-free with a trade. Of course, you can't say the Rockets lose this one unless they fail to trade the pick again.

As for why not Martin -- if your ultimate goal is to trade for Howard, you want to surround him with vets who are ready to win, not rookie-contracts trying to maximize their free agent payday. Martin could be pretty helpful if Morey did swing a Howard trade.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member