1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charlotte Bobcats make qualifying offer to Tyrus Thomas of 6.2 MILLION dollars?!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Raj Da Dodge, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As i've said with Rudy Gay, a player is much more valuable to the team as a asset and as a RFA.

Now they can trade him around the deadline for something.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's just for one year and the Bobcats get to match any offer Thomas gets if they want to.

No-brainer.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

$6 mil for Thomas is good value. He's shown flashes that he might live up to even 60% of the hype that was surrounding him when the Bulls took him in the draft. It's a no brainer for the Bobcats to make the qualifying offer IMO.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He made $4.7 mil the past season so its not its an incredible pay raise. He's still too much a low % shooter from the field for a "big" man. Though its more how he all off a sudden looked like he semi knew what he was doing on the court with Larry Brown coaching him, instead of Vinnie Del Negro.

6. Chamillionaire

i don't think it's too much. he's athletic and has potential to be a legit defensive force plus he's young.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why did u think this was too much? It's for a guy that can average a double double plus a block a game with starter's minutes. Yeah he's been inconsistent, but they just need to keep encouraging him and he should be ok.

8. k-money

k-money Member

actually the blazers took him in the draft than he was traded for aldrige to the bulls.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

its funny how scola puts up much better numbers than tyrus thomas yet won't ever earn as much as him.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...because everyone wants to keep giving the kid a pass based on "potential". Look at all the comments about him above. He will be entering his 5th year in the league this next year. If he hasn't "figured it out" by now, I think the odds are pretty low that he ever will. An occasional 20/10 night followed by a string of underwhelming performances just isn't good enough at this point in his career. I'll bet this is the most is he will ever make - it's all down hill from here.....

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

wow that is too much money for that guy.

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

But don't forget that Tyrus is still young player, even though I think that he'll never be as good as scola.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree. Just those are the breaks. Thomas is 6 years younger than Scola and was a #4 pick. Jared Jeffries has a 6.9 mil player option now, he's getting paid more than everyone as a 12th man.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it is funny, but its because scola is underpaid, severely.

As for the comments ab out him underachieving....he's consistently averaged about a block and a half for 2 yrs now, as well as almost a steal a game. His rebounding and scoring have also been fairly consistent at about 10 and 6. Yes, those numbers don't scream at you, but he was averaging twenty three minutes a game. His problem is confidence, evident by his FT% that's keep jumping and dropping significantly. In chicago he's been benched when playing poorly and benched when playing well, mostly due to the vet Miller and the focus they put on Noah, and now Taj Gibson. If he got consistent starting PT he'd put up 15 and 10 and 2 blocks, 2 steals. That's well worth 6 mill.

Another big issue is the coaches failed to help him develop his offensive game. As well all know, the system and coaching can make or break you. If he was in Houston he would have learned something by now and improved his FG%.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

When do we stop talking about a player's potential? 5 years into the league? or 10 years?

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd give every player 3 years to fit into the league.

First year: Make mistakes? That's quite alright.

Second year: Make the SAME mistakes? No bueno. Learn from old, but make new mistakes? That's alright.

Third year: If you make less mistakes, good. If you make the same mistakes from the first and second year, then you're just bad.

By the third year, usually, the roleplayers will be roleplayers, and the stars will be stars.

17. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Its not like they had a better choice, its either make the qualifying offer so they can match, or let him walk for nothing. I don't see why everybody thinks this is ridiculous.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Market value.

He's young.

19. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

He's young....

Figured id say it to.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

$6M is too much but I suppose if I was faced with the decision of paying him that amount one year versus losing him outright for nothing I'd buckle and pay up.

Just don't expect Tyrus to be anything other than what he already is. He's reached the point where the "potential" excuse goes out the window and he simply just is what he is.