1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Charles Was Right on This

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yuisakata, Feb 28, 2009.

1. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Quoted for truth. The motion offense doesn't dictate that the point guard or any one person for that matter has to be the facilitator of the offense. It does however require that everyone on the floor have the ability to shoot from various positions on the court, have high b-ball IQ's and are all willing to make the extra pass to get a better percentage shot. I hate to bring this up but that's why it never got ran when Tracy Lamar or Rafer were in the game.

on some nights you'll see AB with 20 pts and 3-5 assists and some you'll see him with 10 pts and 7-8 assists, it justs depends on matchups. The threat that anyone can score and/or facilitate this offense is the beauty of it.

Hell, I remember a few years back how a lot of people on here used to holler that we needed a 6'6 defensive minded point guard becuase that's how the Bulls and the Lakers did it :rolleyes:

legend215

2. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

Quoted for truth

3. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

I don't think it's good to say Charles was TOTALLY right. With a healthy McGrady, sure we would probably be better off with rafer alston. But with no mcgrady, and having to rely on an inconsistent rafer alston, we need scoring desperately. Brooks may very well be our 3rd option on any given night. And he does have a high ball IQ and knows when to pass. He's best at scoring, though, and that's what we need from him. I mean, WHO will he pass it to? lol. we have ALWAYS needed guys that can create their own shot. his ability to create his OWN shot means other guys will get shots too. important part is that those OTHER guys hit them.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, I am saying he fits in perfectly with Yao Ming because he is a 3pt threat.....and we need that to provide spacing for Yao.

Lowry would not fit with Yao as well.....because he drives and Yao and his man are in the lane.....

Also, Charles was a great player, but would make a crap coach, his analysis is usually wrong.

DD

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

No one was saying that in Tony's first few seasons when he looked terrible. Hell, the Spurs were trying to replace him with Jason Kidd. Give AB some time.

There are a lot of young, quick, score first PGs that didn't start out so great, but are now tearing it up: i.e. Devin, Tony, TJ, Nate, Monta, Jameer, etc.

6. AXG

AXG Member

How is having a scoring point guard a negative thing? Having him on the court with Yao is a plus becuase he keeps defenses honest with his shot or penetration, something we couldn't say about Alston. He also can get into the lane and dish it out, also something Alston doesn't do because he likes to shoot those terrible floaters.

7. rocketshopeful

charles would make a "dumbinant" coach. :)

I agree with you that Brooks is doing fine as a starter, but its not because he brings any more of a 3 point threat than what rafer Brought. Brooks does well because he can hit that shot at a decent clip and can score by driving and his mid range game (Something Rafer was poor in). Lowry brings an exceptional ability to drive, but lacks even decent outside range. Brooks has that dual threat which Lowry lacks (which is why I think more pick and roll should be run with Brooks and Yao) That is why I believe he is the starter. right now.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Charles would be a turrible coach...simply turrible.

DD

9. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

I think AB should start because of his shooting range... That gives Yao more space to operate inside and make the opposing team to play honest defense. The more shooters we have on the court, the easier it is for Yao to play inside... That's for the fact that nobody can stop him down low one-on-one...

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly.

Nothing wrong with being a score first PG.

11. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

I remembered some fans here didn't want Mo "no pass" Williams to be Rocket this offseason simply because he's a score first PG and he was assumed that he would not fit well with Yao. And we all know how it works out for Cavs now. I personally think that teams are more beware of guards like Mo Williams or Jason Terry rather than Kidd or Blake.

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

What about Tony Parker?

13. joesr

joesr Member

How valuable in the inside outside game is a pure pg compared to a shooting pg? That should be the question, no?

My idea would be the higher percentage outside shooter.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Parker can shoot.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tony_parker/index.html

Career 48 percent shooter
    Brooks is shooting 40 percent this year

Check your facts dude.

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

The other thing about it is Aaron needs to be with the first unit because of his lack of defense. With the first unit, he has Shane, Ron, and Yao to help him. He wouldn't get that type of support with the second unit.

I posted the other day that I thought Kyle might end up being the starter, but the more I think about it it may not be a good idea.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

As a point of reference Bibby was a score first point guard in Adelmans offense in Sactown. The offense usually ran through Webber and Divac.

17. crash5179

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yikes. Let's pretend they are 200 times harder to block.

Know why? Because people are scared to get within 3 feet of Parker for fear that he'll scream bloody murder and fly 10 feet to the ground, drawing a foul.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. crash5179

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.