1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Was Right on This

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yuisakata, Feb 28, 2009.

1. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Aaron Brooks being a score-first point guard will eventually make him play off the bench.

That's one of the few things Charles Barkley ever said that I agree with. Here is my argument:

Kyle Lowry is not nearly as score-first as AB, which will better utilize the other scorers in the starting lineup. He also plays better defense than AB, and he's defensive minded just like the other guys in the starting lineup. KL is good at driving and drawing fouls, this coupled with Yao, we can potentially get opposing big men in foul trouble early every game, as opposed to KL coming off the bench and drawing fouls from opposing bench.

Now we look at it from AB's aspect. The bench needs scoring, and AB coming off the bench to score better suits his talent and abilities, while not taking any shots away from Yao and Scola. This will give our bench more scoring punch.

Now discuss.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No Charles is wrong...tons of PGs can also score the ball, our fans just don't recognize decent PG play because we have not had one in YEARS !

DD

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Unless Aaron can prove that he is so much more dominant scoring wise, Lowry will eventually start. Lowry is just simply a better PG talent.

4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

just look at our record with brooks as the starting point guard...

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Are you saying Brooks is not a score-first PG?

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

AB will start because he's a better perimeter shooter, but Lowry is no slouch. he's been in the NBA one year longer than Brooks and he seems to manage the game better.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think Lowry has a higher ceiling than Brooks due to his better physicality, defense, and court vision. Right now though no one is disputing that Brooks is better for our team, probably for the rest of this season, and should start till the end. The major discrepancy between the two is outside shooting, and for a team with Yao on it, outside shooting is even more important. Lowry needs to spend hours in the gym in the offseason working on his shot if he is to have any chance to start in this league. I do think he will improve on it though. Time will tell.

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Wow I just realized Brooks averages only 2.8 assists per game in 23.3 minutes. About 1.5 assists per quarter played. Yeah, that is just not going to cut it.

9. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Brooks will make opposing teams pay for doubling yao more than Lowry (or Alston for that matter) with his ability to shoot the 3 ball. I like the idea of Lowry getting a lot of play in the 4th with his ability to draw contact and fouls.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Tony Parker is a score first PG

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Charles is wrong. Not unexpected, given that he's Charles Barkley. But you'd have thought that watching so many Sacramento games for the last decade would've made him realize just how PGs are utilitized in the Adelman's system.

12. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

That is why I always said Rafer is the better PG. The 2nd squad will need much more scoring than the 1st since Ron and Yao are both starting

13. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Wow you are comparing AB to Parker. Parker can do it all on the court, AB can't.

14. alcatrazpsycho

Hmm... DD, we usually see eye-to-eye, but I'm not sure about this one. I have a feeling both Lowry and Brooks will be fighting for that starting spot over the next couple of seasons, assuming we plan on keeping this point guard rotation of course (which I hope we do).

I think it's all a matter of consistency. The more consistent point guard will get to start, although for this season I'm pretty certain Aaron has the lock.

15. yao123

yao123 Member

HOW HARD IS IT JUST TO GET YAO THE BALL?
    this team dont need a true pg, they just need someone to shoot the outside shot to get some work off yao back... THIS GAME IS YAO GAME, you dont need those fancy dancy pass...just let the man post up and throw it in. He's 7'6 and if you cant see him cut off your eyes.

16. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

We want Yao to shoot MUCH more than 10-15 shots per game. We want Yao to be a tid bit more selfish and that'll be good for the team.

17. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

IMHO, it is silly to classify a PG as a score first or pass first PG. AB can do both. Rafer struggled at scoring but he still took as many shots a AB.

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I wouldn't say Brooks is better than Parker, but lets not get carried away saying Parker can do it all.

Parker can't shoot.

Brooks can.

19. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

No you numb skull he's not comparing he's just relying to the topic as stating that a lot of point guards on great teams are score first. Tony parker is one, chris paul too although he ha he is known for his assists he looks to score first then pass if nothing else is there. With that siad most great point guards should be score first then pass second, the only thing is they should be able to pass very well. Id love to have a scoree first great passet PG. Why wouldn't you? Arron brooks is becoming one.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think its as easy as it looks. I mean, look how far we've gone and we're still trying to think of ways to beat the fronting defense.